Can a PC hold an action or delay like in Pathfinder?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Asta
D-Bee

Can a PC hold an action or delay like in Pathfinder?

Unread post by Asta »

is it possible for a PC to delay until after another PC goes in combat? If so, how does this work?
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Re: Can a PC hold an action or delay like in Pathfinder?

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Asta wrote:is it possible for a PC to delay until after another PC goes in combat? If so, how does this work?

To my knowledge there is no official 'Hold Action' like in other RPGs. Though, I've always allowed players to do that as an understood house rule, but as with other systems if we come to the player again before they act they lose the action.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Asta wrote:is it possible for a PC to delay until after another PC goes in combat? If so, how does this work?

There is nothing in the official rules that I'm aware of that allows you to hold an action, although it would be easy enough to house-rule.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

in games where a 'phase' system* has been house ruled in to balance different numbers of attacks, most of the GM's i've played with allowed it.

*commonly, where the 15 second melee has been divided up into 5 'phases', with each phase you can use one or more actions.. one per phase defualt, those with more than 5 actions can add an extra action per phase, etc. that way you don't get situations where one char can act without counter. chars with tons of actions just can do several things at once every couple of phases.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I would never allow a player to do that, because of rule #37.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

The Beast wrote:I would never allow a player to do that, because of rule #37.

Thanks for the link!
For a second there, I thought you meant Rule 37.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Nothing stated, but it is possible to do a simultaneous attack/action in response to an attack as your attack even if out of order, which IMHO means that you could alter the Init order if you choose to.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Thanks for the link!

I actually wanted to avoid that confusion, but I didn't see the rule at the first site I wanted to link to, and they weren't numbered anyway.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Thanks for the link!

I actually wanted to avoid that confusion, but I didn't see the rule at the first site I wanted to link to, and they weren't numbered anyway.

:ok:

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

IMO holding an action should be mandatory to be able to do simultaneous attacks =/
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

We house ruled yes.

To perform "combo" and rapidfire attacks a player announces, I am holding my attacks.
This means only Auto Parry, Auto Dodge and Auto Flip/Throw are the only abilities you can use in defense without using an Attack.

So everybody finishes the melee, the nearest badhuy (all actions per melee gone) you with seven attacks and paired weapons unleash an incredible 14 attack combination! ! With no actions to defend the defender is normally cut to ribbons.
psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Unread post by psam_rage »

My group has only found one place where holding an action made sense w/ the rules. That instance is standing ready to dodge.

Say a Vehicle/Giant robot pilot has nothing to do while gunner(s) fire, so he readies to dodge (or snipe missiles w/ point-defense). Effectively using his action that turn to dodge rather than waste one action doing nothing and one dodging, but if no attacks come at them by their next turn the action was wasted.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

say652 wrote:We house ruled yes.

To perform "combo" and rapidfire attacks a player announces, I am holding my attacks.
This means only Auto Parry, Auto Dodge and Auto Flip/Throw are the only abilities you can use in defense without using an Attack.

So everybody finishes the melee, the nearest badhuy (all actions per melee gone) you with seven attacks and paired weapons unleash an incredible 14 attack combination! ! With no actions to defend the defender is normally cut to ribbons.

I wouldn't allow that, but it is cinematically awesome.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Exactly.
Cinematically Awesome. Hold the actions and go Het Li on an enemy.

Added with a critical Strike on A Leap Attack doing double damage doubled. This makes for epic melee roleplaying.

Most instances bullets& energy are -10 to dodge, I allow -10 but vs dodge plus bonuses.

Rune weapons and other indestructible weapons are -6 to parry bullets and energy.
I allow it as -6 vs parry plus bonuses.

I feel the cinematic or Chambara style( old school speed up Kung fu movies) adds that holy wow factor to Rifts and Heroes unlimited games.

when Gunfighters etc use this.....lemme see 7 atyacks, paired weapons the ability to target two targets per attack.....
I refer to this as The Jose Wales.
KaneSolamon
D-Bee
Comment: It's only over powered if your afraid of the challenge "(besides i rolled it legally)"

Unread post by KaneSolamon »

Its called giving up your initiative and its from palladium not pathfinder.... Ugg brain hurts
I'm an g.m. it but you wont necessarily like my take on something or how it works... But hopefully you'll enjoy the ride!!!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Not sure I'm okay with letting you perform an effective 'Lightning Kata' at the end of a melee round, seems like a cool special ability but not something everyone should be able to do.

Holding 1 action in reserve so you can...
1) perform a simultaneous attack
2) perform a power punch
3) fire a full burst
4) cast a higher-level spell

That stuff is fine, but beyond that? Meh.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”