Lightning Strike and Guns

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Lightning Strike and Guns

Unread post by psam_rage »

So simple question- Saw the "Lightning Strike" spell in "Mysteries of Magic 01 - Heart of Magic" while trying to find spells for my mystic and I noticed it says projectile weapon and that its duration is instant once used. Does this mean I could slowly enchant a couple magazines of 9mm rounds and have what amounts to TW-Lightning gun just with an upfront more costly investment that is able to be stockpiled/shared?

(Yes I understand that the MoM book(s) are technically aimed at Palladium Fantasy)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Lightning Strike and Guns

Unread post by eliakon »

As written, yes I see nothing wrong with this. Its conceptually no different than enchanting a few quivers of arrows or bags of sling stones. Assuming your GM allows the spell in a game that has guns, then it would, in theory, work on a bullet just as well as it would work on a sling stone.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

A fascinating follow up to this.... In the older books Northern Gun was supposedly working on a 'lightning projectile' .... many people thought it involved Cyclopes....but what if it was simply the experimental development of this spell.....
Perhaps a Mamomo Headhunter project. But if people saw cyborgs shooting guns they might think its Northern Gun not Techno Wizards....and thus the confusion.....
Hrmmmm
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Secondary question came up with the spell, it says the weapon or ammo is destroyed on use. But what if the spell is cast on an Indestructible knife? Does the spell fail to take, does it destroy an otherwise indestructible weapon, does it turn the knife into a lightning bolt that fly target and embeds itself in as it changes back into a knife?

If the later this sounds like a thematic dream team spell combo for a blade mage. Use everlasting charm to make a indestructible javelin/knife, cast Lightning strike, and Thunder Throw (blade mage spell) and then practice your Zues impressions? Expensive PPE wise at 20+ PPE per attack (plus making the weapon indestructible in the first place) but it can be stockpiled for Mondays a crisis.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

psam_rage wrote:Secondary question came up with the spell, it says the weapon or ammo is destroyed on use. But what if the spell is cast on an Indestructible knife? Does the spell fail to take, does it destroy an otherwise indestructible weapon, does it turn the knife into a lightning bolt that fly target and embeds itself in as it changes back into a knife?

If the later this sounds like a thematic dream team spell combo for a blade mage. Use everlasting charm to make a indestructible javelin/knife, cast Lightning strike, and Thunder Throw (blade mage spell) and then practice your Zues impressions? Expensive PPE wise at 20+ PPE per attack (plus making the weapon indestructible in the first place) but it can be stockpiled for Mondays a crisis.

My personal opinion, if it came up in a game, would be that indestructible weapons are not legal targets. The logic is that they prevent the full spell from operating, and since destroying the weapon is part of the magic...the magic would fail to stick. Just how I would rule personally of course.

psam_rage
Explorer

Thats what I thought. I just keep finding fun tricks, loopholes, and concepts with rifts spells and am remembering (2 years w/o playing a palladium spell casting class) why my GMs are leary of letting me play TWs. I had a habit of gathering excessive amounts of gems legitimately in game then proceeded to make Iceblast shotgun style weapons that cost 1 PPE a shot...
psam_rage
Explorer

New question: Can you burst fire with Lightning Bullets?
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

psam_rage wrote:New question: Can you burst fire with Lightning Bullets?

Sure. The rules for weapons and bursts don't have ammunition restrictions.
So a three round burst does x2 damage etc..
Of course you burn through your bullets faster this way as well...

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”