Can you get stuck in your own Carpet of Adhesion spell?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Can you get stuck in your own Carpet of Adhesion spell?

Unread post by eliakon »

Gradius wrote:Had a game last night against a demon that could teleport as a natural ability. I was floating off the grand with an anti-gravity belt (GM made device).

The demon's desired effect was that it teleported right on top of me in a grappling hold, and use it's own weight to bring me down onto my own Carpet of Adhesion, and keep me there stuck with it.

So my question is, can I get stuck on my own carpet of adhesion?

There is no provision in the spell to suggest that the caster has any special protection from it. Given that some spells DO have such provisions in them (and entire schools of magic with such safeguards) it would seem to suggest that there is no such protection, and that yes, you can get stuck in your own carpet.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Gradius wrote:Had a game last night against a demon that could teleport as a natural ability. I was floating off the grand with an anti-gravity belt (GM made device).

The demon's desired effect was that it teleported right on top of me in a grappling hold, and use it's own weight to bring me down onto my own Carpet of Adhesion, and keep me there stuck with it.

Yes.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yes.

2nds
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Yes, but as the caster you can cancel your own spells before their duration runs out, so the tactic described could be expected to only buy one or two melee actions at best.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

A better question might possibly be...

Assuming you can control the dimensions of the carpet and make it however small you like when you first cast it...

Could such modifications be ongoing? Could someone simply alter the dimensions of the carpet so that it does not include you?

Assuming it has to be a rectangular shape then you would be in trouble if enemies were on 4 corners and you were in the middle since freeing yourself would require changing the shape in a way that has to release at least 2 of them though...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Tor wrote:A better question might possibly be...

Assuming you can control the dimensions of the carpet and make it however small you like when you first cast it...

Could such modifications be ongoing? Could someone simply alter the dimensions of the carpet so that it does not include you?

Assuming it has to be a rectangular shape then you would be in trouble if enemies were on 4 corners and you were in the middle since freeing yourself would require changing the shape in a way that has to release at least 2 of them though...

you would be better served with 2 separate castings in that situation IMO.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Ah I think I understand what you get at... first cast a 2nd carpet with dimensions that include your opponents but not you (possible 2 carpets if in the 4-corners situation I described) and then cancel the first.

Although if the shape-as-you-go carpet approach is allowed, you could only cast 1 extra carpet for 2 corners and then reshape 1st to narrow to only cover the other 2 corners.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

In some cases, you might WANT to be stuck to it. Say, if you are on the hull of a spaceship and have no other method to tether yourself.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Grimlock
Explorer

Unread post by Grimlock »

Kagashi wrote:In some cases, you might WANT to be stuck to it. Say, if you are on the hull of a spaceship and have no other method to tether yourself.

Brilliant. ;)
I gave my wife 5 rules for decorating our place: No Bows, No Pink, No Flowers, No Birds, and No Unicorns.
I later found out Unicorns are Mega Damage.
Now there are 4 rules.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”