Gravity Bombs

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Gravity Bombs

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I am looking for anywhere there is a listing for gravity bombs, size & damage listings in any of the PB Gamebooks.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Gravity Bombs

Unread post by eliakon »

I don't think there IS such a thing as a 'Gravity Bomb' in any book. Your well into 'making stuff up' territory there.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

depends on what you define gravity bomb as..

i've seen that used for 'Iron bombs', that is freefalling explosive ordinance. those are, according to palladium, the same as missiles but -4 to strike and range is "overhead" (so a minibomb uses minimissile stats, a light bomb srm, etc)

in the military, a gravity bomb is a kind of hypothetical kinetic impactor.. basically a mass of metal dropped from a high altitude, high speed aircraft (or even a spacecraft in some proposals), which inflicts damage from pure kinetic energy. the 'gravity' name is to reflect it's arc and final speed is controleld by earth's gravity.

palladium does not have stats for those.

if your talking about a weapon that uses gravity for damage.. the closest you get to that is the singularity cruise missiles employed by the transgalactic Empire, found in both the Anvil galaxy and fleets sourcebooks.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

glitterboy2098 wrote:depends on what you define gravity bomb as..

i've seen that used for 'Iron bombs', that is free-falling explosive ordinance. those are, according to palladium, the same as missiles but -4 to strike and range is "overhead" (so a mini-bomb uses mini-missile stats, a light bomb SRM, etc)

PB uses the term gravity bomb for these, and these are what I meant.

in the military, a gravity bomb is a kind of hypothetical kinetic impactor.. basically a mass of metal dropped from a high altitude, high speed aircraft (or even a spacecraft in some proposals), which inflicts damage from pure kinetic energy. the 'gravity' name is to reflect it's arc and final speed is controlled by earth's gravity. ...snip

These a K.E.W.'s or Kinetic Energy Weapons. The 1st time I encountered this concept was in the Heinlein book "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".
These are easy enough to calculate the damage for. Using height or speed it can be done canoncally with in the PB rules sets. It is determining the Terminal velocity that is a bit tricky. The drag cross section is something I had to do by fiat when trying to figure things out for a char of mine a few years ago. But determining the Term.V is not something that the rules really care about.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”