Ranged Weapons in Melee Range, and Melee disengagement

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kb001
D-Bee

Re: Ranged Weapons in Melee Range, and Melee disengagement

Unread post by kb001 »

[quote="Dog_O_War"][quote="Kagashi"]Fine, one more post...

I think you are on to something. What I have gained by reading all these post is that the designers of the game did it in a way so as to make the game flow easier and more fluid. for ex. the attacker attacks and scores a hit (has damage been rolled yet??) If damage has not been rolled then that opens up the possibility for defensive ops. if it has then ops. to minimize damage maybe the only possible response. Anywaysss first with engaging an attacker w/ defensive skills is only possible if the two combatants are in range of each other that would normally prevent the attacker the possibility of discharging a fire arm at a person unless said person stands there like an idiot and takes one in the face. Meaning that the roll of attack truly could never take place b/c of the lack of distance between the two persons, yet is done so b/c play must be carried out in some manner even if the attack is not possible. The fact that an attack scored is needed and is done so to make play more fluid, the defender being within arms reach has all the chance to stop the attack from even starting b/c he's able to grasp the attacker, and only if the defenders choice is to get shot while the attack be carried out. The designers of the game could have broken down the play of the game to a level of detail that would render the game to difficult and complex for it to be fun, such as creating sub-actions or pre-action, like such....pre-action (PA) 1 draw gun, PA3 raise gun, PA3 level gun and aim, PA4 PULL trigger, PA5 gun fires, resulting action 1 bullet leave gun, RA2 bullet travels to target, RA3 target hit. All that was one attack action. The game creators could have done this and also set up such action such as interupt actions, or instant preventive/defensive actions, that could be carried out during any one of the PA and responsive/defensive/damage minimizing action for the RA action. The interup or break action type of action could be executed during any phase of the PA, like PA1 declared then the defender tells GM IA1 on PA1 so as to entangle or block the drawing of the gun. Yet thats far to detailed and time consuming. So it seems to me that the entire attack action was to be carried out prior to any defensive or responsive action to be executed. Once you know that the attack would hit if no counter-action take place, seems logical to me, yet the defensive/counter action are still an option and is done to the point that the attacker never was able to discharge the fire arm at all b/c he was either disarmed the prevented to position the gun while under his total control for him to fire a damage scoring attack. I mean if your 100m away and you see an attacker with a weapon at his side begin to draw the weapon, you should be able to dive in a hole or such prior to him firing the gun, yet is not the attack always carried out to the point of weapon discharge, and then the defender tells GM I dive into a hole for cover and not, I see the attacker move his had toward his gun, so I dive for cover??? I maybe totally off cause I have no rule books other the basic D&D stuff, so I may sound like an idiot to you seasoned players, yet all I know is real life combat, and what I've read on these sites to allow me to comment. The only thing I would say might be off is if the attacker fires 3 bullets or would fire if no defensive action is taken and a defensive action stops the gun from discharging then there should be no reduction in ammo in the attackers gun, is such a thing done during game play?? I mean if knocked out of hand or the weapon grabbed so as not to be under the attackers control and not fired then no ammo is spent....I only add this cause humping 270 round of .223 in 30 round mags is heavy and spare ammo sometimes a vital commodity, take it light.--KB
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Ranged Weapons in Melee Range, and Melee disengagement

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Killer Cyborg wrote:What's to say you can't take two steps as part of a Parry?
Again, that kind of thing is up to the GM, unless you get into the N&S different melee ranges.

I agree it's up to the GM, but only in that way where everything is and they have the final say. One could argue that the parrying individual can't vacate their space without using an action to dodge. Granted, it depends on how we define "parry" as there are plenty of variations that people who learn fighting styles can talk about.

Though doesn't palladium define it in the combat section?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”