Need official ruling on 2 questions

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Need official ruling on 2 questions

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

If by official you mean an answer from a Palladium author, then it's not likely to happen, but I wish you luck all the same.

As best as I can gather from the books, though:

1. Yes; Half damage, because a psi-sword is an energy weapon.

RUE, p. 64: "All Psi-weapons are energy based [....] As energy weapons, even those with a 'blunt' weapon shape [...] inflict the same damage as the traditional Psi-Sword."

In other words, the energy "blade" does not inflict sharp or blunt force injuries; it inflicts damage with psionic energy, and the Nemean lion pelt takes half damage from all energy attacks.

2. The magical M.D.C. protection of a Corrupted Millennium Tree cloak would be negated by the Anti-Magic Cloud, leaving body armor as the character's only protection. According to the RUE rules, the character's armor would take all of the damage, leaving the character naked but unharmed. Of course, GMs are entirely within their rights to let common sense override this.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Being energy-based that also means you don't add force-based damage bonuses to it right?

Although I am not sure but I get an impression cyber-knights can add horsemanship MD bonuses to their swords...

Or use psi-axes to climb GBKs.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

#1 There are the words of the text and then their are the "In Game" meaning of the words of the text.

On the face of it TD's answer is canonly correct, going by what is directly said in the lion skin text and what he quoted from RUE. And keeping on the subject of Psi-Swords doing said damage.

However, there is some room for the GM to bump up the damage done to the wearer because it says that blunt damage is passed through to the one wearing the lion skin. Since most damage ratings do not distinguish what %'s are piercing/cutting/blunt damage and it is generally accepted that it is one of the three w/o being some of the others, to keep things simplified, it is the GM to decide if there will be any "pass through blunt damage".

Yes, an "at speed" damage bonus could be applied to the damage as a "pass through blunt damage" but that is for individual GMs to decide how complex they want to make their games.

So while what you suggest is in the realm of what is "possible" Tor, it is for Individual GM's to decide how much of that additional complexity they want in their games. i.o.w. their house rules.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Whether GMs want to add additional rules is ALWAYS an option so it's not worth mentioning here, we're trying to puzzle out the RAW canon.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Enrrique1226 wrote:2. If a character is at ground zero of a 1600 mdc explosion, what happens to him? He was wearing a corrupted millennium tree cloak but anti magic cloud was up. Player says his cloak took all damage and nothing else. His full body armor was untouched.

1600 MDC did you say? As in One thousand Six Hundred points of Mega Damage?

My thoughts.
I agree that anti magic cloud would render the cloaks protection useless.
Unless I'm super wrong (and it is possible) 1600 MDC is going to vaporize any body armor AND the PC inside. ESPECIALLY if they are at ground zero when the explosion goes off.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Tor wrote:Being energy-based that also means you don't add force-based damage bonuses to it right?

That would make sense. Based on the above description, a Psi-Sword would essentially be an Energy Melee Weapon, like a Wilk's laser sword.

But having said that...

Although I am not sure but I get an impression cyber-knights can add horsemanship MD bonuses to their swords...

Or use psi-axes to climb GBKs.

Some illustrations in the books give the impression that a psi-sword has solidity, at least to the wielder; many Cyber-Knights and Mind Melters are depicted gripping their weapons tightly, and even using two hands in some cases.

As you hinted, Sir Thorpe is described in Siege of Tolkeen 4 performing many feats one would associate with a physical weapon, including parrying his opponent's blade, hooking his psi-tomahawk over a weapon turret for leverage, and cleanly slicing his opponents to pieces.

Additionally, the Psi-Slinger's Energy Conversion ability specifically does not work on Psi-Swords and other psionic energy manifestations.

So, how do we reconcile these apparent discrepancies? I tend to think of a Psi-Sword as being a kind of solid energy field, like a Psi-Shield or TK Force Field, but I can find no concrete rules to support this. It may simply be that the wielder's own perception and belief endows the weapon with qualities of both energy and matter.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:However, there is some room for the GM to bump up the damage done to the wearer because it says that blunt damage is passed through to the one wearing the lion skin. Since most damage ratings do not distinguish what %'s are piercing/cutting/blunt damage and it is generally accepted that it is one of the three w/o being some of the others, to keep things simplified, it is the GM to decide if there will be any "pass through blunt damage".

Investigating this further, I notice that the S.D.C. versions of Psi-Sword in HU, PF, etc. include this little nugget (emphasis added):

The psi-sword does full damage against creatures of magic, demons, supernatural beings and creatures or armor that is impervious to normal weapons (this is not a "normal" weapon).

So, there is a valid argument for inflicting full damage to the Nemean lion skin, at least outside of Rifts.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Unless I'm super wrong (and it is possible) 1600 MDC is going to vaporize any body armor AND the PC inside. ESPECIALLY if they are at ground zero when the explosion goes off.

RUE introduced the rule that armor reduced to 0 or fewer M.D.C. in a single attack absorbs all of the damage inflicted by that attack, regardless of how much damage is inflicted or how little M.D.C. the armor has left. Unsurprisingly, this remains controversial, and has spawned many arguments on the Rifts forum.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Enrrique1226 wrote:1. Can the nemean lion pelt (worn by Hercules in Rifts Pantheons book) take damage from a psi-sword? And if so, full damage?

2. If a character is at ground zero of a 1600 mdc explosion, what happens to him? He was wearing a corrupted millennium tree cloak but anti magic cloud was up. Player says his cloak took all damage and nothing else. His full body armor was untouched.

Please give me clarity on this. I need official ruling on this please.

Well I can't give an official ruling, but I can give some hints.
Assuming that you do not use the Rifter suggestion on curbing the "GI Joe Rule". (pg 355 RUE) then yes, in theory the RAW says that a suit of armor will protect from the last attack.
There are a couple points to make though
First in an AMC the cloak is just a big leaf, and not armor....so his body armor will be the layer affected
Second is that they will take 80 SDC from the explosion, even inside the armor (pg. 355 RUE)
Third is that there is the question of what sort of explosion this was. If it was a nuke (I am guessing from the blast size it was nuke) then there is the potential of there being several damages, in series
Fourth a blast that large is likely to throw a person a ways (ie miles if you are extrapolating from the Nukes again) which will have even more damage.

None of this of course matters if the GM decides that either "the blast is to big your dead" nor if the GM decides "GI Joe Rule will not stop a blast that big"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Tinker Dragoon, if it helps, RGMG (Q&A section about adding damage bonuses to weapons) mentions that the Psi-Sword has no physical component (or something like that). RCB1 (I believe both versions, but not positive) in the section about parrying energy blasts, mentions MDC items, then gives Psi-Sword as an example of one. At work, so no quotes or page numbers in front of me. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:However, there is some room for the GM to bump up the damage done to the wearer because it says that blunt damage is passed through to the one wearing the lion skin. Since most damage ratings do not distinguish what %'s are piercing/cutting/blunt damage and it is generally accepted that it is one of the three w/o being some of the others, to keep things simplified, it is the GM to decide if there will be any "pass through blunt damage".

Investigating this further, I notice that the S.D.C. versions of Psi-Sword in HU, PF, etc. include this little nugget (emphasis added):

The psi-sword does full damage against creatures of magic, demons, supernatural beings and creatures or armor that is impervious to normal weapons (this is not a "normal" weapon).

So, there is a valid argument for inflicting full damage to the Nemean lion skin, at least outside of Rifts.

Since it was a question about a Rifts NPC I noted that I limited my answer to using Rifts canon. Using just the RUE text quoted in the 1st response and the Item Text in RCB2.
Importing rules from other settings is with in a GM's prerogative, but they can't be said to be canon for the setting you are importing those rules into.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Unless I'm super wrong (and it is possible) 1600 MDC is going to vaporize any body armor AND the PC inside. ESPECIALLY if they are at ground zero when the explosion goes off.

RUE introduced the rule that armor reduced to 0 or fewer M.D.C. in a single attack absorbs all of the damage inflicted by that attack, regardless of how much damage is inflicted or how little M.D.C. the armor has left. Unsurprisingly, this remains controversial, and has spawned many arguments on the Rifts forum.

IIRC, that rule was ammended to include an upper limit as to how much MD would be ignored once the armor is gone. I think Killer Cyborg may be able to answer this more acurately though.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The Beast wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

IIRC, that rule was ammended to include an upper limit as to how much MD would be ignored once the armor is gone. I think Killer Cyborg may be able to answer this more acurately though.

There was a Rifter that had such a limit, but it was unofficial.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:RUE introduced the rule that armor reduced to 0 or fewer M.D.C. in a single attack absorbs all of the damage inflicted by that attack, regardless of how much damage is inflicted or how little M.D.C. the armor has left.

This just occurred to me... how many layers of MDC clothing from NGR could one wear?

Surely they come in different sizes so you could put big-man MDC pants over little-man MDC pants.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:RUE introduced the rule that armor reduced to 0 or fewer M.D.C. in a single attack absorbs all of the damage inflicted by that attack, regardless of how much damage is inflicted or how little M.D.C. the armor has left.

This just occurred to me... how many layers of MDC clothing from NGR could one wear?

Surely they come in different sizes so you could put big-man MDC pants over little-man MDC pants.

As many as your GM allows. PERSONALLY I would rule that all layers of armor, combined, form the GI Joe defense.
So if you have 19 layers of armor, and get hit with a nuke.....you lose all 19 layers, and survive, NOT that you lose layer 1, have 18 left, and survive. But that's just me. (in other words I am using 'armor' in the generic 'external protections' instead of the singular 'specific suite of that protection')

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

To not look like you are wearing multiple layers of clothing....One.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

What if I don't care about that?

*imagining a dragon who watches pre-rifts TV shows and shrinks to the size of a gnome and uses their supernatural strength to wear progressive layers until they are Cyclops-sized*
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I don't have enough face-space for all these palms incomming.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:What if I don't care about that?

*imagining a dragon who watches pre-rifts TV shows and shrinks to the size of a gnome and uses their supernatural strength to wear progressive layers until they are Cyclops-sized*

I doubt that would be physically possible. After a certain point your going to run into mobility issues. And I would STILL say that is 'your armor' and that even though it has ______MDC its still 'your armor' so a missile blast will whittle it down all at one go, and not let you have umptyzillion 'last bit of MDC' protections.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:I don't have enough face-space for all these palms incomming.

I have found that combining Hydras with Hundred Handed is useful in this situation. :lol:

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

The lions pelt of hercules........
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Idea: TW underwear linked to an external wardrobe enchanted with teleport: simple which teleports a new pair of MDC pants onto you every time your previous pair is destroyed.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Tor wrote:Idea: TW underwear linked to an external wardrobe enchanted with teleport: simple which teleports a new pair of MDC pants onto you every time your previous pair is destroyed.

Or soiled?
:P
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Naw, I think Cleanse costs less PPE than Tlesser.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”