Hand to hand bonuses to strike with ranged weapons?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Hand to hand bonuses to strike with ranged weapons?

Unread post by say652 »

Only the skill bonus applies, no hand to hand or physical prowess.

The only way to get a pp bonus on a ranged attack is energy expulsion powers.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Modern weapons do not gain a pp bonus. Sniper, sharpshooting apply. Both abilities have no effect on natural energy blasts though.

Bionic systems that provide strike bonuses apply, rpa combat bonuses apply but pp does not.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

As a varied style martial artist and treeclimber I also have exceptional balance. I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn standing inside of it.

Where as I can step in the ring with a pro and hold my own (been fighting heavyweight since I was 130lbs) because I'm trained. I wasnt trained in firearms usage or marksmanship. And to avoid possible seizures from laughter, never ask me to throw things. True story. Lol
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Hand-to-Hand bonuses do apply to attacks made with ranged weapons.

But it has to say "ranged attack" or the equivalent, of which I believe Hand-to-Hand Assassin is the only one to state this.

So your run-of-the-mill hand-to-hand skill does not have the proper bonuses, but if your hand-to-hand does (like Assassin) then you add them to your ranged attacks.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

The Rules as Written do not support PP or HtH bonuses to modern weapons. I ignore this in my games for pretty much the same reasons. Hand Eye coordination should be applied to ranged weapons too.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

computertrucker wrote:It's the natural edge that seperates even skilled marksmen...I'm suprised it's written how it is.

Depending on how you want to game. You might want to keep ranged bonuses low to incentivise up close Melee combat. If your PC's have big bonuses from PP and HtH but only a few +'s from WP and Sniper they would be more inclined to get into melee range, which then gives magic and psionics a chance to come into play too. Big ranged bonuses mean that you usually try to stay far away end up plunking at each other at distances that magic and psionics cannot compete with (for most spells and psi-powers anyhow).

In my PFRPG game I have a group of Jeridu (6 armed elf-like race from LoTD1) that are absolute blenders in Melee combat (huge PP bonuses, lots of attacks per melee, paired weapons with all 3 sets of arms). They have two good ranged PC's that have a 920ft range with long bows and something like +14 to strike (+8 PP bonus, WP bonuses, HtH bonuses, and Longbowman bonuses all added together) and even though their melee bonuses are just as high in most cases, they pretty much refuse to engage in melee and just let the archers pluck off targets from 1/8th mile out! Which is a great real life tactic that makes total sense to implement (I mean why expose yourself to danger when you can stay way back and safe?) but lessens my options to challenge them. :x

I kind of regret allowing the HtH bonues to add to bows but too late to change that now. Note: PP bonus does add to bows since its an ancient weapon.

So to challenge them I'm kidnapping the group using a high level godling, and putting them in a dungeon where line of sight is never more than about 12 feet to prohibit their total reliance on ranged attacks. :demon:
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I remember someone pointing out somewhere that PP did add to modern weapons in one instance, I think it was the modern weapons skill in Palladium Fantasy 2nd Ed.

So the best gun users come from a world bereft of them.

Dat dwarven blunderbuss.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Tor wrote:I remember someone pointing out somewhere that PP did add to modern weapons in one instance, I think it was the modern weapons skill in Palladium Fantasy 2nd Ed.

So the best gun users come from a world bereft of them.

Dat dwarven blunderbuss.

OMG thats true! I just looked it up p.60 of PFRPG 2E
Normal strike bonuses from hand to hand combat
skills do NOT apply, but bonuses from a high P.P. attribute or the targeting skill do count.
BUT do note that there is no +1 to strike at level 1,3,5 etc like there is for true modern weapon proficiencies. So there is a bit of a trade off.

Unless of course you take this prof from PFRPG AND say WP Rifle. Also With HtH assassin (in RUE) you get a bonus to strike with guns at lvls 11 and 15 but do not add all strike bonuses it confers to guns, just these two +1's at very high levels.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

computertrucker wrote:We have one melee oriented character and common sense dictates to me that PP is going to effect someone's ranged ability.

Common sense and Palladium Books' rules do not always (and some would say not even usually) go hand in hand.
:lol:

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The pp thing in ranged combat is called sharpshooting. Jussayin.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Sharpshooting's PP-based aimed/called bonuses and PF2nd's WPmodern "use standard PP" would stack :D
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

computertrucker wrote:So curious do hand to hand combat bonuses to strike stack with ranged weapons?

I realize that hand to hand combat skills are used to determine your basic number of melee actions, however it does to make a lot of since that just because you might be a martial artist that your good with a rifle..

Anyone have any clarification on this please. I don't see anything in the rules that say yay or nay. It's just plus to strike.

say652 wrote:Only the skill bonus applies, no hand to hand or physical prowess.

The only way to get a pp bonus on a ranged attack is energy expulsion powers.

The question has to be divided into two answers.

Modern weapons (firearms and similar functionally weapons) No, the hand to hand bonuses Are Not applied to their attack rolls.(yes, I checked the HU2 main book and the Modern combat section is worded saying they do not get any hand to hand bonuses.)

Ancient ranged weapons: yes, the hand to hand bonuses are applied to the strike rolls.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”