Teleport and "Bots, Vehicles, Spaces ships.

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Teleport and "Bots, Vehicles, Spaces ships.

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Voidrunner wrote:Could a dragon teleport into Chi-Town?

or an M.D.C. Bunker?

or between levels in Mega City?

Yes, Yes, Yes.

The Dragon would need to know where it was going. Not just thinking 'the next floor up'...or... 'into that bunker'....etc...etc... They can not T-port into an area that has had a D-block on it that blocks T-ports.

However, there are those Tech biased GMs and writers that would say otherwise.

T-porting stuff into MDC things seams to be a no-no since somebody like magi having a way to "be smart" to defeat the tech people.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The short answer is "maybe" to all. The longer answer is...this has been debated in circles on the forums for decades, and still doesn't have a solid, good answer that everyone can agree is 'canon' and does not involve any house rules.
As written you have the MD skin (no magic can penetrate) and the Teleport magic (specially designed to penetrate)....Irresistible force, meet immovable object.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Voidrunner wrote:Now in Rifts Ultimate Edition (page 188) and Rifts Book of Magic (page 21) state "Magic can not penetrate the skin of giant robots or vehicles. Any spell cast inside will only affect the occupants and the internal systems of the vehicle/robot. Likewise, any spell directed at a vehicle/robots outside, only affects the robot itself and can not affect the occupants inside."

Can you teleport something or some one into or out of the vehicle/robot? Specifically can i use Teleport, Lesser (RUE p. 211 and p.114 BoM) to teleport an bomb in to the cockpit of a vehicle/robot? What if the spell caster has a picture of said cockpit?

A morphed Dragon R.C.C. is riding in a APC and wants to teleport out with out opening a hatch? would he be blocked? Would he be able to teleport back inside?

A spell caster wants to teleport into a Spacecraft docked at phase World to steal it with the help of his companions. Would Teleport Superior (BoM p.153, Rue p.225) work?

I find my self in debate on facebook with others who say this can not be done. I feel that the teleport spell are meant to preform such feats.

Yes.

This is in fact the only question the Q&A forums that ever got an offical response from palladium employees. Wayne said that yes, you can teleport into and out of vehicles, and even into and out of force feilds.

This is further expanded on in Fleets of the three galaxies where magic specifically to stop someone from teleporting into or out of your vehicle or bot exists to deal with the threat.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

and it got that official answer after a 100+ page debate occurred on the forums here.. one that often got quite heated.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

So the take away is......if a question can be debated for years on end, and cover hundreds of pages then it might get an official answer. *makes note of the new ritual of summoning*
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:snip...

This is further expanded on in Fleets of the three galaxies where magic specifically to stop someone from teleporting into or out of your vehicle or bot exists to deal with the threat.

The D-Barrier spell, blocking t-ports, rifts and D-T-ports, made it's 1st appearance in the Library of Bletharad book, 1st printing july 2000.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

The D-Barrier spell, blocking t-ports, rifts and D-T-ports, made it's 1st appearance in the Library of Bletharad book, 1st printing july 2000.

Which does nothing to disprove the claim. Especially since that spell was NOT specifically designed to deal with teleporting on space ships. But we thank you for your apple, even though the conversation was about oranges.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Since you were observant about what I was not pointing out, I thank you for pointing out the part my comment was not relevant to.

You talked about "Magic that stops T-porting".
I talked about "Magic the stops T-porting".

So I was talking Apples to Apples.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I think this is possible. Though some knowledge is necessary. If you know the layout of the area you are teleporting into, there shouldn't be am issue. If you don't know where the open areas, hallways and exact locations you need are, the teleport can be dangerous.

Shoving a bomb into a pilot compartment on the move might require some creative visualization (something like a strike roll maybe). Messing it up might put the bomb half way in, disabling it, or even exposing unintended targets to the explosion.

The same might be true of teleporting yourself.

I like to leave this up to GM's, but if you have knowledge and power, play on.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I'll allow it. Teleport. Pfft pfft. Bad as carpet of adhesion and Bio manipulation.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

say652 wrote:I'll allow it. Teleport. Pfft pfft. Bad as carpet of adhesion and Bio manipulation.

Try not to be too excited. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Only has a range of 5 miles. In space thats um. Well kinda terrible range.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Yep, I've had characters use the spell even, but those block teleportation anywhere and dosn't address weather or not it's needed in vehicles, which was the question. the spells in Fot3G explictly say they can.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”