Noticed something odd in the Priest of Light

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Noticed something odd in the Priest of Light

Unread post by Thinyser »

So under the prayer of intervention it gives the option to cast any spell the god knows at an effective strength 5 levels above their actual level. Success rate is 21% +7% per level. So at level 5 the Priest has a 56% chance to cast any spell known by their patron deity at 10th level ability... This is better then the miracles that are supposed to be limited and this is a prayer you can do pretty much whenever just like super healing (also part of the prayer of intervention.)

Isis knows all wizard magic, including all spells of legend. Ra knows all elemental spells and all wiz spells from levels 1-7. Thoth knows all magic except for elemental and necromantic magic. The possibilities are pretty much endless depending on which deity you worship.

I'm not sure as a GM how I would handle this. Should it be allowed anytime like Super healing or be limited like miracles?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Noticed something odd in the Priest of Light

Unread post by Tor »

It's a pretty sweet level, you could even (since it doesn't include any limitation preventing it) cast a spell at a HIGHER level than the god in question, if it were a god with rather low-level spellcasting abilities.

Priests aren't even limited to learning spells that the god knows nowadays. Apparently even if the god doesn't know a spell, he can impart it to a priest, which is why Viracocha's priests can do all that elemental stuff (not even Illapa's priests can do air elemental spells, LOL). In classic PRPG the priests were limited to casting spells the god knew, had to pick your patron more carefully then I s'pose.

This really adds cool reasons why gods (especially less-magerific ones) would desire priests.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Tor wrote:It's a pretty sweet level, you could even (since it doesn't include any limitation preventing it) cast a spell at a HIGHER level than the god in question, if it were a god with rather low-level spellcasting abilities.

Priests aren't even limited to learning spells that the god knows nowadays. Apparently even if the god doesn't know a spell, he can impart it to a priest, which is why Viracocha's priests can do all that elemental stuff (not even Illapa's priests can do air elemental spells, LOL). In classic PRPG the priests were limited to casting spells the god knew, had to pick your patron more carefully then I s'pose.

This really adds cool reasons why gods (especially less-magerific ones) would desire priests.

So the priestess in our group (who is 4th level) worships Isis (who knows all wizard spells, even spells of legend).
She (the priestess) is the secondary character of our Player who plays the Longbowman as his primary PC. We told him he either attacks or heals just to simplify matters for him since its only his time playing PFRPG. Anyhow I don't want to short change him by not fully utilizing her (the priestess') abilities. Being that the goddess has taken an active interest in our group (we are the chosen that the Jeridu prophesies spoke of) I don't think she will mind regular use of non miracle prayers.

Wondering if a normal priest (one not favored and under the god's wing as ours has been) would get unlimited access to this freakishly strong ability?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

You are correct, according to canon they can attempt it as often as they want.

As a gm though, I wouldn't make it as rare as miracles. But it differently would be something that as a gm if it got out hand (hey Arrin it's kind of dark in here, ask Thoth for globe of daylight, Arrin I'm thirsty and hungry ask Thoth for create bread and milk.) I'm going to have Thoth become very disappointed in you.
Now if Arrin is only asking for help like so,"Oh great Thoth, the demon lord of cupcakes & frosting is about to destroy us. I ask you grant the spell finger of Lictalon." Then the player would get more leeway.

Sidenote: It would only be 49% at level five, you never add the + per level for level one... For anything in PFRPG. Not sure why, it's just what the book says.
Last edited by Grug on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Thinyser wrote:
Tor wrote:It's a pretty sweet level, you could even (since it doesn't include any limitation preventing it) cast a spell at a HIGHER level than the god in question, if it were a god with rather low-level spellcasting abilities.

So the priestess in our group (who is 4th level) worships Isis (who knows all wizard spells, even spells of legend).
She (the priestess) is the secondary character of our Player who plays the Longbowman as his primary PC. We told him he either attacks or heals just to simplify matters for him since its only his time playing PFRPG. Anyhow I don't want to short change him by not fully utilizing her (the priestess') abilities. Being that the goddess has taken an active interest in our group (we are the chosen that the Jeridu prophesies spoke of) I don't think she will mind regular use of non miracle prayers.

Wondering if a normal priest (one not favored and under the god's wing as ours has been) would get unlimited access to this freakishly strong ability?

Offhand, I'd say that it's up to the god's whim at the time, and that the gods don't like being called upon unnecessarily.
If you don't NEED the spell, they might ignore that request, or even start ignoring you in general.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Grug wrote:You are correct, according to canon they can attempt it as often as they want.

As a gm though, I wouldn't make it as rare as miracles. But it differently would be something that as a gm if it got out hand (hey Arrin it's kind of dark in here, ask Thoth for globe of daylight, Arrin I'm thirsty and hungry ask Thoth for create bread and milk.) I'm going to have Thoth become very disappointed inyou.
Know if Arrin is only asking for help like so,"Oh great Thoth, the demon lord of cupcakes & frosting is about to destroy us. I ask you grant the spell finger of Lictalon." Then the player would get more leeway.

Sidenote: It would only be 49% at level five, you never add the + per level for level one... For anything in PFRPG. Not sure why, it's just what the book says.
Good catch on the %. I tend to agree with your assessment.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i think grug has a point.. it's a prayer, so your asking for divine intervention. if it happens too often, or for poor reasons, the deity is liable to get upset with you and either stop helping you like that, or make your life difficult in other ways.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

glitterboy2098 wrote:i think grug has a point.. it's a prayer, so your asking for divine intervention. if it happens too often, or for poor reasons, the deity is liable to get upset with you and either stop helping you like that, or make your life difficult in other ways.

I totally agree that would be a "realistic" way to control its (ab)use by characters, and probably a more correct way to have written the rules regarding these more potent prayers, and probably how I would house rule it I suppose. However by the rules as written its clear the prayers should work any time the character prays and makes their % check for success. The % indicates the god's chance of hearing and paying heed to the priest enough to respond by granting the request.

I suppose if the god gets angry for being disturbed for trifling matters then he can either lower the priests level as a punishment (example of Maryanne's character) or lower their % of success (effectively the god stops listening to the priest as much) but I think that any of the goodly gods would give a warning before punishment. Something along the lines of "Stop praying for Bread and Milk every morning and get your own breakfast or you shall no longer be graced by my responses!"

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Thinyser wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:i think grug has a point.. it's a prayer, so your asking for divine intervention. if it happens too often, or for poor reasons, the deity is liable to get upset with you and either stop helping you like that, or make your life difficult in other ways.

I totally agree that would be a "realistic" way to control its (ab)use by characters, and probably a more correct way to have written the rules regarding these more potent prayers, and probably how I would house rule it I suppose. However by the rules as written its clear the prayers should work any time the character prays and makes their % check for success. The % indicates the god's chance of hearing and paying heed to the priest enough to respond by granting the request.

Not exactly.
Look at the percentile as a skill check. Or better yet, a Mental Affinity check.
The GM gets a lot of say in when, where, and how you can use your skills, attribute checks, etc.
You can't just say, "I use my Mental Affinity to take over the world." The GM decides when it is or is not appropriate for you to roll, and the GM decides what is within the scope of your abilities.
If you want to use a Spell of Legend to avoid flipping on a light switch, the GM can (and should) decide that no, you don't even get to roll the dice for that.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Just a note here.....But it would seem to me to be the height of presumption to have a priest telling their god. "I made my roll, so you have to do what I want."
If the spell advances the gods agenda it will work...if its abusive or demeaning at best it will not work.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Not exactly.
Look at the percentile as a skill check. Or better yet, a Mental Affinity check.
The GM gets a lot of say in when, where, and how you can use your skills, attribute checks, etc.
You can't just say, "I use my Mental Affinity to take over the world." The GM decides when it is or is not appropriate for you to roll, and the GM decides what is within the scope of your abilities.
If you want to use a Spell of Legend to avoid flipping on a light switch, the GM can (and should) decide that no, you don't even get to roll the dice for that.

Well technically I said the % indicates the god's chance of hearing an paying heed to the priest enough to respond, so I think the GM, playing the part of the god, should roll in secret. This way they can say "oh your god didn't grant your request, and you get the feeling that you best not try that s#!+ again."

Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Thinyser wrote:

I suppose if the god gets angry for being disturbed for trifling matters then he can either lower the priests level as a punishment (example of Maryanne's character) or lower their % of success (effectively the god stops listening to the priest as much) but I think that any of the goodly gods would give a warning before punishment. Something along the lines of "Stop praying for Bread and Milk every morning and get your own breakfast or you shall no longer be graced by my responses!"

That isn't actually how it works. What you are describing are miracles, not prayers.
Prayers are all handled automatically and the God doesn't even know when or why they are happening unless he is personally auditing a particular Priest for whatever reason. Under normal circumstances, it is left entirely in the hands of the Priest.
The above is detailed on page 88 of Dragons and Gods.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Giant2005 wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

That isn't actually how it works. What you are describing are miracles, not prayers.
Prayers are all handled automatically and the God doesn't even know when or why they are happening unless he is personally auditing a particular Priest for whatever reason. Under normal circumstances, it is left entirely in the hands of the Priest.
The above is detailed on page 88 of Dragons and Gods.
Ok so this is a 2nd cannon reference to support that essentially the priest can use any magic his god knows as often as he likes (can keep making % checks til it works) without respect for the god's time or interests. See I knew this was ripe for abuse! :D

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Unless you worship Thor or any other god that enjoys strong independent followers. And Odin is known throughout history for his kindness and care of mortals. Lol. Not to mention Zues unless you're a hot chick wouldn't count on much help there.
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

I still stand by my original post, especially after reading the second paragraph under the heading of 'Exchanging ppe for priest powers, on pg.88 of the Dragon & gods book.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Grug wrote:I still stand by my original post, especially after reading the second paragraph under the heading of 'Exchanging ppe for priest powers, on pg.88 of the Dragon & gods book.

The way its worded, and the context, seems to read between the lines as "but they generally don't".

So while of course they could audit their priests, they generally don't. Blessings and Prayers go on behind the scenes and don't garner the god's time and attention unless they decide to pay attention.

I however agree that in the end its up to the GM as to what is too much and thus draws the negative attention of your god. Now if you are on a mission for your god, with their direct blessing, one can safely assume that they will let the prayers be granted at the normal % w/o audits.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I mean all you have to do Pray for carpet of adhesion and you can take down CosmoCalledaKnightbutdonotactlikeone type things.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

say652 wrote:Not to mention Zues unless you're a hot chick wouldn't count on much help there.

Are you sure?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Tor wrote:
say652 wrote:Not to mention Zues unless you're a hot chick wouldn't count on much help there.

Are you sure?

Ok then according to his description in the Pantheons Book. Also says unless Oltmpia is attacked he could careless also.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Zeus explicitly likes the ladies, but he doesn't explicitly dislike guys :)

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”