Trakata-like combat with energy blades

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Trakata-like combat with energy blades

Unread post by Tor »

Was reading about this form of lightsaber combat http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tr%C3%A0kata

Apparently the tactic is that you wait until the handle is past your enemy's defenses (preventing a parry) before igniting the lightsaber.

Could something like this be done with weapons that form out of nothing? Like RMB's Flaming Sword, New West's Wilks Laser Sword, or one of the various kinds of Psi-Swords?

If anyone's seen most of the bleach anime and wants to rewatch episode 190, I'm thinking of that kind of tactic too.

Like I am wondering, could a Mind Mage sidling up to someone in a bar trying to seduce them, rub their hands along a target's head and neck and make out with them for a melee round, only for the sword to form already in their enemy?

If this can't occur, then what happens when the attempt is made? Do these blades extend from their base and in the process push the person away?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Trakata-like combat with energy blades

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Dosn't this violate the no conversions rule?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Doesn't this violate the no conversions rule?

No; he's asking about the tactic, which is not wholly unique to Star Wars, but using the Star Wars entry as an explanation and example.

The answer Tor is that yes, it can be done, but the vague entries of Rifts make whether a blade could form a matter for the GM.

That said; the switchblade or retractable claws; they would do damage, but the mechanisms which eject/extend the blade typically isn't as strong as someone using it to stab a person.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Technically I was also using Bleach as an example :) I'm not even sure when it was first used, so far as I know it's existence in Star Wars may have come after Bleach since it was popularized in the comics and those came way after the original trilogy. I'm sure it shows up in other media, just not as easy to remember. I think Yoshimitsu might have done something like this with his energy blade in Tekken 4.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”