Hand to Hand: Dirty Fighting?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Niji

Hand to Hand: Dirty Fighting?

Unread post by Niji »

This is a bit of a long shot but It feels like I ran accross it once a long time ago.

But is there a hand to hand combat skill called or that uses dirty fighting(aside from Assasin obviously but thats a bit different than what I mean)?

You know a martial art or fighting style that heavily uses all kinds of cheap shots, skilled at blinding opponents/eye gouges/sand in eyes/etc. Aka a VERY dishonorable(by some's standards though to survivalist its probably the most honorable method). Another tag might be "extremely efficient" fighting style (that meets the previous criteria).

This i think would be a street schooled/naturally developed fighting style and probably not a taught one, though in comparison to (most other styles)the most effective in hand to hand situations. Other things would be weighted/spiked gloves and other forms of "cheating" in a fight (because surviving the fight matters more). A vagabond or such fighting style.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Hand to Hand: Dirty Fighting?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Most of the moves are a matter of targeting, so the player has to say the char if the char is targeting those targets.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I say use a 2 attack action that if hits with a modified 18+, you can cause your opponent to save vs stun. Basically you try to kick them where it counts, gouge at their eye, throw hot metal shavings in their face etc.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

N&SS has joint locks provided by several arts, which are pretty brutal (just saw a British guy do a bunch of that on a season 2 episode of Banshee) and even normal Holds can be brutal when used in combo with Grasping Hand atemi. Some of the arts also provide choking attacks.

Pg 90 Fong Ngan has a special tactic of kicking an opponent in the groin (costs 2 attacks). It could use a rename though, as it is called 'Combination Grab/Kick' like a separate tactic described on page 128 (not as good, but uses only 1 attack).

There's also some 'claw' attacks or 'finger poke' attacks which, though there isn't mention of targetting eyes, I think they seem suitable for it if rules are introduced.

T'ang Su (pg106) allows you to headbutt a guy in the face, and Thai Boxing (p108) lets you kick them in the shin (goes direct to HP for some odd reason).

I kind of like the idea of these abilities being exclusive to the arts that teach them and not something any old HtH can do with a high enough strike bonus and called shots.

If that's allowed it should be with severe penalties so N&SS guys still excel at them by comparison.

Also I think the called shot rules in Dead Reign should apply to the living as well as the dead, but should be modified a bit (no bonuses for head/neck doesn't make sense, and it should be easier to chop off a neck with a blade than to bash it off with a club)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I'm not 100% sure where to find it (Maybe in the HU forum) but there is a pretty lengthy thread about fan created HtH styles. You might look there.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Tor wrote:N&SS has joint locks provided by several arts, which are pretty brutal (just saw a British guy do a bunch of that on a season 2 episode of Banshee) and even normal Holds can be brutal when used in combo with Grasping Hand atemi. Some of the arts also provide choking attacks.

Pg 90 Fong Ngan has a special tactic of kicking an opponent in the groin (costs 2 attacks). It could use a rename though, as it is called 'Combination Grab/Kick' like a separate tactic described on page 128 (not as good, but uses only 1 attack).

There's also some 'claw' attacks or 'finger poke' attacks which, though there isn't mention of targetting eyes, I think they seem suitable for it if rules are introduced.

T'ang Su (pg106) allows you to headbutt a guy in the face, and Thai Boxing (p108) lets you kick them in the shin (goes direct to HP for some odd reason).

I kind of like the idea of these abilities being exclusive to the arts that teach them and not something any old HtH can do with a high enough strike bonus and called shots.

If that's allowed it should be with severe penalties so N&SS guys still excel at them by comparison.

Also I think the called shot rules in Dead Reign should apply to the living as well as the dead, but should be modified a bit (no bonuses for head/neck doesn't make sense, and it should be easier to chop off a neck with a blade than to bash it off with a club)

Hmnn sounds like I would need to write up my own with lots of cross referencing, though I suppose a Dirty Fighting would be very anti-cinematic after I read this post lol. Perhaps it should be a skill that awards a variety of combat moves at level 1(or 3 or 5 purchase only) and only available to streetschooled/vegabond type O.C.C.s and born to the wilds characters(SDC world obviously, potshots and blinding/cheap shots would be the only logical ones since a 1d4 mdc knife would be all the dirty a 8 year old street urchin needs hahah).

Yeah special skill selection with a cavaet of only HtH basic or Assasin allowed or something? (And way you were raised, learned, grew up restrictions. Probably no hth skill is more apt)
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Strange but I thought there was something about this in canon or Rifter also but it seems its either buried deep or not there...

In light of it being a figment of our imaginations I would make it a physical skill like boxing or wrestling. It takes up a skill slot but gives a special attack style. Something like this...

Dirty Fighting: This character has taken time to learn and perfect some dirty tricks that can turn the tide in a fight so long as the character doesn't mind not fighting "fair". If the character must declare his intention to strike one of the following locations and then make a called shot with the associated negative modifier(s). IF he can cause significant damage to that area he can severely impair the injured opponent's ability/desire to continue the fight. If the required called shot target number is hit roll for damage to see if you meet or exceed the required amount of damage to garner the desired effect.

Eye Strike/Gouge (Called shot of 16, 4 SDC) - Causes the eye to rupture causing intense pain and blindness (in that eye). The combined pain and blindness usually ends the fight but if the opponent continues he is at -8 to strike parry and dodge.
Throat Chop (called shot of 14, 6 SDC) - Crushes the wind pipe and causes much difficulty breathing unless the opponent tips their chin way up further exposing their throat. If they continue to fight in this position they suffer -4 strike parry and dodge. If they keep their chin down they will be unable to breath and will pass out in 1d4+1 melees and then die in 1d4+1 minutes after they pass out.
Groin Strike (called shot 14, 4 SDC) - after a 5 second delay sever pain causes the opponent to double over with a 50% chance of vomiting. This causes the opponent to be reduced one action per melee for the next 1d4 minutes. Strike parry and dodge bonuses are at -10.
Knee Strike (called shot of 14, 8 SDC) - Causes the joint to either break or dislocate causing extreme pain and reduced mobility. Speed is reduced to 3, Strike and parry are -5, dodge is at -8.
Instep Stomp (called shot of 16, 8 SDC) - Causes extreme pain and reduced mobility. Speed is halved, strike parry and dodge are -2.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”