Time Maelstrom

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Time Maelstrom

Unread post by Glistam »

The temporal magic spell, Time Maelstrom is an interesting spell, I think. It looks like it wants to be a great spell versus other Temporal spell casters, but I'm having some issues figuring out a few interactions with it.

The spell says it can be used against a spell caster "who is attempting any type of time travel, including Time Slip, Time Hole, Temporary Time Hole, Wink Out, Time Warp: Fast Forward, Time and Space Warp, and similar." It further states: "The time maelstrom must be cast within six seconds of the other wizard's activation of a time travel spell."

Now, I get how it will work and resolve against a mage who uses Time Warp: Fast Forward, and Time and Space Warp. I see no issues there, these are the only instances I can see that seem pretty straight forward.

Versus the recent casting of a Time Hole and Wink out... these spells are sending the caster into another (temporary) dimension. Does the Time Maelstrom prevent these spells from resolving, and instead the mage is subjected to the Distortion and Relocation tables only? If not, does the Distortion Table affect when the dimension is created? Does the Relocation Table affect where the mage appears when the spell ends?

Versus the recent casting of a Temporary Time Hole, the same issues as above are raised but additionally, do the other travelers the mage took also suffer from the effects of the Maelstrom? If not, how would you resolve that? The Time Maelstrom must be cast within six seconds of the time travel spell being cast, but only 2D4 seconds pass after the mage cast the spell before they return - does this imply the Maelstrom spell will likely not work in this instance, depending on how much time passes?

Versus a Time Slip... well, Time Slip is so broken and weird that I have NO IDEA how to even begin to reconcile this one. I'd really love to hear other's ideas here.

There's also the "and similar" caveat to the spell. What other "Time Travel" effects should this work against? Super Powers like Slow Motion, Pause Time and Stretch Time? How about Suspended Animation effects? What about those in area effects like Time Warp: Slow Motion, or Time Warp: Time Stop?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Time Maelstrom

Unread post by say652 »

timeslip resets to origanol position. wink?time hole roll to see were they endup.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Time Maelstrom is a spell where I pretty much ignore the spell description and just apply whatever dramatically appropriate effect seems reasonable at the time. In fact, I've got a whole list of powers that fall into this 'GM fiat' bucket (Oracle/Clairvoyance and Sixth Sense being the most notable).

I don't worry about the "must be cast within 6 seconds" thing. The way I handle it, Time Maelstrom destablizes time and, as such, can reach forward and backward in time as far as the GM wants it to. I also treat it as a non-targeted area effect, so if you cast it and then you cast another temporal (or similar) spell, you might end up getting swept up in its effect.

I know you were probably hoping for near-canon answers. Sorry that I don't have any.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Versus the recent casting of a Time Hole and Wink out... these spells are sending the caster into another (temporary) dimension. Does the Time Maelstrom prevent these spells from resolving, and instead the mage is subjected to the Distortion and Relocation tables only? If not, does the Distortion Table affect when the dimension is created? Does the Relocation Table affect where the mage appears when the spell ends?

Hmm, since the net effect for Time Hole and Wink-out are displacement in time (slower or faster movement, for each spell respectively) once the spellcaster (or others taken, in the case of a 5th level mage or higher for Wink-out) returns from the dimensional space he/she/it has created. However, the Time Maelstrom spell clearly states that the disruption always overtakes the spellcaster attempting any sort of time travel, even if the net effect is at the "end" of the cast spell. That being said I'd assign both the Distortion and Relocation right after the spell is cast- within 2-3 melee actions/attacks (depending on how many attacks/actions the individual who is casting Time Maelstrom has). Interestingly, since the Time Maelstrom overtakes all attempts at time travel, I'd go so far as to say that the Time Maelstrom disruption interferes with the Time Hole and Wink-out, in favor of the Distortion and Relocation side effects. The target spellcaster (and anyone taken, if applicable) take damage as the spell description.

Versus the recent casting of a Temporary Time Hole, the same issues as above are raised but additionally, do the other travelers the mage took also suffer from the effects of the Maelstrom? If not, how would you resolve that? The Time Maelstrom must be cast within six seconds of the time travel spell being cast, but only 2D4 seconds pass after the mage cast the spell before they return - does this imply the Maelstrom spell will likely not work in this instance, depending on how much time passes?

Same as above, in all cases- again the Time Maelstrom states that it will overtake all time travel magic. Since both the Time Maelstrom and Temporary Time Hole spells are 10th level, I'd rule that only way that a Time Maelstrom spell could work against Temporary Time Hole would be if it were cast within the same melee action as the Temporary Time Hole, or a maximum of one melee attack/action afterwards, since both spells require 2 melee attacks/actions to complete (6-7 seconds per the R:UE). All would take damage.

Versus a Time Slip... well, Time Slip is so broken and weird that I have NO IDEA how to even begin to reconcile this one. I'd really love to hear other's ideas here.

I know.... I know. Anyway, to try to keep it simple, you can apply the same restriction as above, since Time Slip is a Level 6 Invocation and also requires 2 melee attacks/actions to complete. Best not to overthink this one. 8)

There's also the "and similar" caveat to the spell. What other "Time Travel" effects should this work against? Super Powers like Slow Motion, Pause Time and Stretch Time? How about Suspended Animation effects? What about those in area effects like Time Warp: Slow Motion, or Time Warp: Time Stop?

I'd rule that the "and similar" would make it effective against innate supernatural powers/abilities and super powers. For Suspended Animation effects and Time Warp: Slow Motion, I'd say since the effects don't allow a person or object to "skip around" witin the local space-time, Time Maelstrom is ineffective- they're either essentially frozen or mildly accelerated. Same with Time Warp: Time Stop, the effect is a "freezing" of the victims caught in the time warp- ineffective, but I could be made to change my mind if given a sound alternative argument.

Of course, these are my interpretations. :D
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

I really like flatline's response but it pains me to no end that this is such a poorly worked portion of the game. Rather than agonizing over it I feel like just ROLLING the dice every single time and making up a different effect off the top of my head.

Also, so folks are aware, I don't think we've EVER -- in the last YEAR -- had Time Slip be cast normally even once. ALWAYS via Talisman in one action.

What if you start tossing around Time Maelstrom defensively? Hey, I'll preemptively peg you with a Maelstrom so you can't cast any Time-Altering magic within the next 6 seconds. It says in the spell description it targets the spell-caster attempting the time-travel...NOT the spell itself.
There is no spoon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Sounds good to me. Also, I think I really like the answers/interpretations Grand Paladin has provided. Thank you!
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

My pleasure Glistam, any time!
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”