ammo modified for vampires

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bones
Wanderer
Location: Beaverton, Oregon, US, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group

ammo modified for vampires

Unread post by Bones »

I've got a character that wants to go vampire hunting. I have a pistol and a shotgun. I want to put wooden ammo in the pistol and silver buckshot in the shotgun. I can't find the stats for vampire hunting ammo anywhere. Specifically, I want to know what's the damage and how much does it cost?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: ammo modified for vampires

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Vampire Kingdoms revised has it.
Can't tell you the page, as I'm away from my books.
The cost of silver bullets is HIGH, though.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

wood ammo sucks for pistols. wood ammo was developed for training purposes, since blanks don't work with most automatic and semiautomatic weapons. (won't cycle the action) wood ammo usually shatters in the barrel. (most militaries that use wood ammo fit special shredders to make certain, but wood isn't durable enough to at pistol/rifle bullet sizes to survive the explosion propelling them.)

you'd be better off using either silver for both, or using silver pistol ammo and making 'stake rounds' using thick hardened wood and a sabot in the shotgun.

remember that wood on its own doesn't really hurt vamps.. the wood ammo weapons in WB1 are intended to try for a staking of the heart.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Silver Bullets are on p. 102 of VKr.
They cost CR 50 each for small bullets, CR 100 each for medium caliber bullets, and CR 200 each for large caliber bullets.
Rifle or machine-dun rounds are CR 300 each.
Buckshot costs CR 200 per round, and solid slugs cost CR 400 per round. (p. 103)
These are just for silver "coated" bullets. Pure silver bullets would cost a lot more.

No wooden bullets are listed that I can find, although you could logically make some out of Ironwood.
But note that unlike normal wood, ironwood does NOT inflict x2 damage, and instead inflicts only normal damage for the weapon type.
Maximum damage for wooden weapons in any case is 2d6, although "the very largest and deadliest" wooden weapons would have a +2 damage bonus.
A rule of thumb is "if the metal weapon does 4d6 to 5d6 SDC, the Ironwood equivalent does 2d6+2 SDC damage to ordinary people and vampires alike.
Ironwood weapons can be used to stake vampires, though.

Unless you know the spell yourself, though, Ironwood can be quite expensive.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”