Phase Sword Strength Damage Bonus

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Phase Sword Strength Damage Bonus

Unread post by Jorel »

The Phase Sword in Phase World says, "Damage: 4D6 M.D.C. or S.D.C./Hit Point damage, plus the wielders' P.S. bonus, if any."

How is this interpreted and applied when using Supernatural Strength?

An example is P.S. of 20.
The damage bonus for a Normal P.S. 20 is +5 S.D.C. to damage.
The damage bonus for a Supernatural P.S. 20 is +1D6 M.D.C. to damage.

The way it is written the weapon deals damage to M.D.C./S.D.C. targets equally. It doesn't address the force behind the Strength bonus. So in this case the Supernatural Strength would be weaker than a person attacking with a Normal Strength, on average. Sure on occasion it would do 1 point of damage more, but rarely. I don't think this is how the rule should work.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Re: Phase Sword Strength Damage Bonus

Unread post by Chronicle »

it says + PS bonuses.......one of the few MDC weapons that state this. Of Course with supernatural PS this can become very difficult to manage because when the PS is high enough wouldn't you replace the weapon damage with SN punch damage? If that is case it very disturbing indeed.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
smashed
Wanderer

Unread post by smashed »

You add the PS damage bonus , an SD value, which is the value given on the attribute bonus chart, regarless if your strength is normal, extraordinary, robotic, or supernatural. Supernatural Strength (and Robotic) alters your punch damage (normally 1d4 SD). It does not replace the SD PS damage bonus.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Chronicle wrote:it says + PS bonuses.......one of the few MDC weapons that state this. Of Course with supernatural PS this can become very difficult to manage because when the PS is high enough wouldn't you replace the weapon damage with SN punch damage? If that is case it very disturbing indeed.

True, but PB has a history of not writing things clearly and poor editing. They could have meant the damage bonus gets added to only the SDC attack, which is the normal rule anyway.

Jorel wrote:The Phase Sword in Phase World says, "Damage: 4D6 M.D.C. or S.D.C./Hit Point damage, plus the wielders' P.S. bonus, if any."

How is this interpreted and applied when using Supernatural Strength?

An example is P.S. of 20.
The damage bonus for a Normal P.S. 20 is +5 S.D.C. to damage.
The damage bonus for a Supernatural P.S. 20 is +1D6 M.D.C. to damage.

The way it is written the weapon deals damage to M.D.C./S.D.C. targets equally. It doesn't address the force behind the Strength bonus. So in this case the Supernatural Strength would be weaker than a person attacking with a Normal Strength, on average. Sure on occasion it would do 1 point of damage more, but rarely. I don't think this is how the rule should work.

Uh, no. The normal damage for a SNPS of 20 is 1d6 MD. The damage bonus is added to the restrained 4d6 SDC attack.

The real question is if SNPS is down-converted to normal PS to find out the damage bonus or not.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Between the SNPS damage and the weapon damage it is an ether or question.

So you would ether use the weapon damage plus the PS damage bonus OR the SNPS damage +the PS bonus damage.

Th problem is, since the phase sword does MD to MDC and SD to SDC, Which damage rating do you use? the SD numbers or the MD numbers?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Between the SNPS damage and the weapon damage it is an ether or question.

So you would ether use the weapon damage plus the PS damage bonus OR the SNPS damage +the PS bonus damage.

Th problem is, since the phase sword does MD to MDC and SD to SDC, Which damage rating do you use? the SD numbers or the MD numbers?

how about....the SD value for SDC targets, and the MD value for MDC targets?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Between the SNPS damage and the weapon damage it is an ether or question.

Hello, I said Damage Rating. As in "Do you use the SNPS numbers doing SD to the target even though the char is using their SNPS?"
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Hello, I said Damage Rating. As in "Do you use the SNPS numbers doing SD to the target even though the char is using their SNPS?"

No you said
drewkitty ~..~ wrote: Which damage rating do you use? the SD numbers or the MD numbers?
Thats a question, not an offer of an answer.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I said....
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Th problem is, since the phase sword does MD to MDC and SD to SDC, Which damage rating do you use? the SD numbers or the MD numbers?

Notice it is one long thought.

As in I was just stating where the confusion is being caused in the phase sword text as it was written in relation to SNPS being transferred through melee weapons rules.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

add your supernatural ps,lets say ps60 for d6x10md plus the 4d6 of the phasesword,but that damages as the phaseblade sdc to sdc and md to mdc. against sdc objects the sword is eh,just punch it,but against mdc objects the added damage is nice.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

You get the damage bonus with SDC attacks, and if you're lucky enough to have sn/ robotic strength, punch damage added when dealing MD.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Supernatural Strength is dumb anyway. However...

When hitting SDC targets, you do indeed inflict your Punch Damage + Sword Damage + Damage bonuse (for your PS). This is covered in many SDC setting games in regards to supernatural strength with weapons.

When you are hitting MDC targets, you use the sword's damage, or your punch damage, and that is all. Now, since Phase Swords say to add your PS damage bonus, in this case you would add only the damage bonus (which for the above mentioned PS 20 is +5). So you would do Sword Damage +5 and that is all.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Alrik Vas wrote:When hitting SDC targets, you do indeed inflict your Punch Damage + Sword Damage + Damage bonuse (for your PS).

Can you give a citation (i.e.: where you found it) for the above?
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

As a GM, this is how I would house rule it. Normal Strength: PS damage bonus, Augmented Strength: PS damage bonus x1.5, Robotic Strength: PS damage bonus x2, Supernatural Strength: PS damage bonus x3.

Make note that I would only house rule the Phase Sword like this because of its unique properties.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

This discussion reminds me of how a wise Apok with a PS of 50 or below uses only restrained punches against the Unholy's Host.

...or how a wise Sea Inquisitor grabs a C-12 Heavy Assault Laser Rifle and uses it on setting 3 against the Minions of the Deep. Very sustainable ammunition.

Chronicle wrote:it says + PS bonuses.......one of the few MDC weapons that state this.
Especially if we give a Phase Sword to a Larhold Human Renegade wearing Thor's belt.

Chronicle wrote:with supernatural PS this can become very difficult to manage because when the PS is high enough wouldn't you replace the weapon damage with SN punch damage?
Not totally sure, in HU it says you add weapon damage to SN punch dmg, not sure if this works with SNPSdmg in Rifts though. Wasn't mentioned in CB1 anyway, possible some other book?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”