Turning Invisible at Will?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Turning Invisible at Will?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Invisibility simple.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Cool...
Cuz I had the same question to ask...going to bring Brodkil into my game soon. And they have invisibility at will ability. Nekkie is so sagacious.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Invisibility simple.

NS is correct. This is the canon answer.

No I don't remember where in the books it says this, cause I am not a "Brian". (KotDT)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

In the listing for Invisibility (Simple) it says neither version is cancelled when the invisible character makes an aggressive action, but Invisibility (Superior) says it drops when he/she/it does.

Typical Palladium contradictory rules double speak.

So which is right?

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The text for In (Sup) is correct for In (Sup).
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The text for In (Sup) is correct for In (Sup).

Wouldn't being able to cast spells and whoop arse while being invisible be superior to not being able to?

Eh...oh well.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

MurderCityDisciple wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The text for In (Sup) is correct for In (Sup).

Wouldn't being able to cast spells and whoop arse while being invisible be superior to not being able to?

Eh...oh well.

If a mage was In.(sup) and casting a attack spell, they would become visible when they finished casting the spell.

Little Snuzzles wrote:
MurderCityDisciple wrote:In the listing for Invisibility (Simple) it says neither version is cancelled when the invisible character makes an aggressive action, but Invisibility (Superior) says it drops when he/she/it does.

Typical Palladium contradictory rules double speak.

So which is right?

Big difference in the spells:

Invis: Simple - only makes you unseen but you can still be detected by scent, footprints, thermographic, and radar.

Invis: Sup - can't be detected by any means except magic or psionics. That's why you become visible when you attack.

There is no text in the "See the Invisible" spell that specifically says it sees In.(sup) like does the Psi power "See the Invisible". (RUE 2nd printing) So it excluding any specific exception, In.(sup) is undetectable by any means of detection, just as the text of the spell says.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

You might rule that gods or ancient dragons tend to have an improved spell that lets them see the invisible, but I don't see why you would rule that the spell for some reason works differently based on the kind of being it is?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Little Snuzzles wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:You might rule that gods or ancient dragons tend to have an improved spell that lets them see the invisible, but I don't see why you would rule that the spell for some reason works differently based on the kind of being it is?

Well, because some powerful creatures can shrug off spell effects, so I thought that would make sense.

Well, it dosn't appear to make sense based on my knowlage of how palladium magic works. there are specific exceptions here and there (house of glass), but in general, magic is one of the few things that works normally on gods. most times their only defense is a naturally high bonus to save.

but to my knowlage, there's no spell in the game that has an imporved effect based solely on what type of being is /casting/ it, sinse the way magic works is very formulaic. X spell has Y effect modified by casters Z level, and maybe some other odd bits here and there.

One of the things I tend to like about palladium is the compartive mortal-ness of gods and lovecraftian horrors. yes, they are amazingly power, and yes they tend to have some spectaular natural abilities. but the vast majority of them study magic because it does things they can't otherwise do, and at the end of the day their fire ball or magic net spell is no better than yours except for being a higher level.

Just my take on the whole gods and magic issue :D

Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:Cool...
Cuz I had the same question to ask...going to bring Brodkil into my game soon. And they have invisibility at will ability. Nekkie is so sagacious.

I tremble for your players. I'd rather face a partial conversion Brodkil any day rather than an invisible one (or ten). :twisted:
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

On a related note. Sorry if this has been answered I the search results were too numerous to be of much help.

Now that there is a difference in what level of invisibility the spell "See the Invisible" can see. What about supernatural or magic creatures natural ability to see the invisible? Can a being with the natural ability to see the invisible see Invisibility: superior or just simple?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

any kind of see the invisible can see invisibility superior. the only thing invisibility superior does to see the invisible is that hte figure is still hazy (only -2 to strike parry or dodge)

Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

using mystic invisibility (merc adv.) in conjunction with invis superior -- now you're really talkin' about not being seen. I think you can still be tracked by "scent" but as far as I know you can't be seen by "see the invisible" or something like a psi-stalker's sense supernatural...unless, of course, I'm mistaken.
There is no spoon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

For extra fun just combine Mystic Invisibility with Regular Invisibility. Great vs. Everything except for opponents using tech or that have racial abilities for radar, thermal vision, etcetera.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Witchcraft wrote:using mystic invisibility (merc adv.) in conjunction with invis superior -- now you're really talkin' about not being seen. I think you can still be tracked by "scent" but as far as I know you can't be seen by "see the invisible" or something like a psi-stalker's sense supernatural...unless, of course, I'm mistaken.

No, your correct, it explictly also negates magical or psionic forms of sight

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If a mage was In.(sup) and casting a attack spell, they would become visible when they finished casting the spell.

I always wondered the limit here. Is summoning a Shadow Beast an attack spell that would cancel it, by its own nature? Or would it only cancel when you order your Beasts to attack?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”