Magic Tattoo Flaming Shield Can It Parry Energy Blasts?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ronin1274
D-Bee

Magic Tattoo Flaming Shield Can It Parry Energy Blasts?

Unread post by Ronin1274 »

Can a Tattooed Man's Flaming Shield parry energy blasts and other projectiles....etc.???
Zamion138
Hero

Re: Magic Tattoo Flaming Shield Can It Parry Energy Blasts?

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Think so, at -6 like a rune weapon.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tattooed weapons are not really on the level of rune weapons. You can still try to parry, but it'd be at the typical -9.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Anyone recall why parrying penalties would be less with rune weapons? Did they every clarify why?

Also for some reason I thought shields in general were better than other melee weapons at blocking ranged attacks, like fewer penalties or something. Not sure where I got that from... I'm not sure if the -9/-10 type stuff had been introduced by CB1 where it talks about parrying energy attacks on pg 10.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Grimlock
Explorer

Unread post by Grimlock »

Wouldn't it make sense to apply the "Dodging Bullets & Energy Blasts" rules from RUE/pg.361 for parries as well? Perhaps limiting the bonuses to parry to the P.P. bonus of the T-Man (if any) and the +2 to parry from the Flaming Shield Tattoo?

Just an idea. ;)
I gave my wife 5 rules for decorating our place: No Bows, No Pink, No Flowers, No Birds, and No Unicorns.
I later found out Unicorns are Mega Damage.
Now there are 4 rules.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

CB1 had at one point made it clear that that a few classes could parry a single bullet or energy blast

1. crazies & juicers & borgs
2. simvan & dragons
3. cyber-knights
4. any robot or PA except the GB

though it says they need a suitable item/shield, but did not entirely clarify what items or shields would be suitable. Also limits it to single, bursts can't be parried.

Besides CKs, it mentions Mind Melters and Master Psionics can also parry with a Psi-Sword. Unclear if a Mystic (who is only Major) could parry with one. Different phrasing, "energy attack" is used in distinction to previous "energy blast", unsure if this means something different.

Magic swords or shields can also parry energy attacks, but by the wording, only if wielded by a practitioner of magic, so a rogue scholar using a magic sword is out of luck.

RUE's Ranged Combat rules on pg360 are a mess in terms of semantics. Apparently a 'quickly aimed Called Shot' is not an 'Aimed shot'. Introduces the "Single Shot" as a new technique. I guess +3/+1 for aimed/burst is a thing of the past with the bursting capabilities of a bunch of weapons being removed, in direct conflict with the bursting example in CB1. Can't seem to find mention of parrying energy blasts or bullets in this section though.

Remember the good ol' days when a Coalition Grunt could do a short burst with his standard issue energy pistol to prevent a cyber-knight from parrying his gun attacks? Those were the days.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Ronin1274 wrote:Can a Tattooed Man's Flaming Shield parry energy blasts and other projectiles....etc.???

It can be used to parry energy blasts.

However, you will need to follow the rules of the setting covering such actions, and it only is effective up to the MDC of the shield, when used vs MD energy blasts.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Grimlock
Explorer

Unread post by Grimlock »

@Tor: The ranged combat system has been almost completely revised in RUE, which is why I suggested an adaptation of the "Dodging Bullets & Energy Blasts" rules from RUE/pg.361; I think it could work;

@drewkitty: Flaming Shield Tattoos are indestructable (Atlantis/pg 88), while standard Shield Tattoos are not (Atlantis/pg.86).
I gave my wife 5 rules for decorating our place: No Bows, No Pink, No Flowers, No Birds, and No Unicorns.
I later found out Unicorns are Mega Damage.
Now there are 4 rules.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”