Learning Spell Magic

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wyrmraker
Hero

Learning Spell Magic

Unread post by wyrmraker »

My GM and I seem to recall that, once upon a time, a mage would have to roll to see if he/she had actually learned a spell. Is this still the case? Did they change this ruling? And if it's still a rule, would someone please direct me to the relevant book?

The reason I ask is that my GM is enforcing this (I believe to be extremely obsolete) rule that he can't find outside of the memory of his only copy of Palladium Fantasy, First Ed.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Learning Spell Magic

Unread post by The Beast »

wyrmraker wrote:My GM and I seem to recall that, once upon a time, a mage would have to roll to see if he/she had actually learned a spell. Is this still the case? Did they change this ruling? And if it's still a rule, would someone please direct me to the relevant book?

The reason I ask is that my GM is enforcing this (I believe to be extremely obsolete) rule that he can't find outside of the memory of his only copy of Palladium Fantasy, First Ed.

The best spell learning/creation rules are in Through the Glass Darkly for Nightbane. There is a set of rules in Mysteries of Magic for PFRPG, but those aren't as good. IIRC, the Rifts GM Screen has a rule for learning spells, and it sucks almost as much as the GI-Joe, and Mage/Armor rules do.
wyrmraker
Hero

So in the current ruleset, there is no such rule outside of the GM Screen for Rifts (which we don't own)? And we don't own Mysteries of Magic yet, sadly.
Thanks for the assistance.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

wyrmraker wrote:So in the current ruleset, there is no such rule outside of the GM Screen for Rifts (which we don't own)? And we don't own Mysteries of Magic yet, sadly.
Thanks for the assistance.

There is no canon spell making rules for rifts. However, your GM can import them from NB or PF as he chooses for his game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
wyrmraker
Hero

I see where you're going. And I know about the various rules for creating spells. What I am referring to is the *learning* of spells. Like a mage is teaching another mage how to cast a particular spell.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

through the glass darkly requires mages to make a principles of magic roll to learn successfully.

of course, it also requires a PoM roll to cast successfully too.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
wyrmraker
Hero

So... Not really applicable to Rifts.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Common magic spells (invocations) can be learned by Common magic mages (Invocationalists) at a cost of two days per spell level.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
wyrmraker
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Common magic spells (invocations) can be learned by Common magic mages (Invocationalists) at a cost of two days per spell level.

So that's it? Did they make it that simple, as opposed to bizarre formulae for figuring out whether or not the mage actually retained the information?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

wyrmraker wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Common magic spells (invocations) can be learned by Common magic mages (Invocationalists) at a cost of two days per spell level.

So that's it? Did they make it that simple, as opposed to bizarre formulae for figuring out whether or not the mage actually retained the information?

It's in the rifts book of magic. yes, it's just 2 days per level of the spell being learned with no variables.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

But I would only allow it in a high level ley line like Rifts earth,they start at 10 year old and it,s when ther 20 when ther level 1.

In Palladium fantasy it make take a week.

In H.U and BtS it takes 1 or 2 months.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

gaby wrote:But I would only allow it in a high level ley line like Rifts earth,they start at 10 year old and it,s when ther 20 when ther level 1.

In Palladium fantasy it make take a week.

In H.U and BtS it takes 1 or 2 months.

What questions are these responding to?
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

wyrmraker wrote:My GM and I seem to recall that, once upon a time, a mage would have to roll to see if he/she had actually learned a spell. Is this still the case? Did they change this ruling? And if it's still a rule, would someone please direct me to the relevant book?

Are you thinking of the rules for learning spells from Scrolls? That's the only time I've ever seen Palladium make you roll to see if you learned a spell outside of inventing them yourself.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”