Magic or not? Burster and a Mystic Kuznya.

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Magic or not? Burster and a Mystic Kuznya.

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Good question.

Not sure there is a canon answer for this.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

it's considered Psychic fire, with Psionics and ISP being distinct but related to Magic. It can harm things invunerable to mundane attacks like werewolves, ect.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

DSKauai wrote:snip...

it's considered Psychic fire, with Psionics and ISP being distinct but related to Magic.

Is there canon a reference for this?

Consider "What a Burster Is" and you will have a canon reference.

In my comments I did take a second though about it and could not remember anything "Specifically said" that the fire produced by the pyrokinisis of the burster being specifically psionic in nature. And that there are differing levels of fire produced by the burster. So I might of been over thinking things.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I personally would say that it would affect the MK as the fire would not be "normal".
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

i house ruled it that the SDC damage is "normal" fire but the MD blasts are psionic fire. i house ruled this for a burster in heroes unlimited, that way they can damage invulnerable characters but not at 6d6sdc for 2isp. according to the original RCC write up all burster powers are considered psionic in nature i toned them down to level the playing field.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:i house ruled it that the SDC damage is "normal" fire but the MD blasts are psionic fire. i house ruled this for a burster in heroes unlimited, that way they can damage invulnerable characters but not at 6d6sdc for 2isp. according to the original RCC write up all burster powers are considered psionic in nature i toned them down to level the playing field.

Umm, Invunerability renders one immune to magical energy attacks, fire specifically included. so none of a bursters psionics would hurt an invunerable character, weather they are psionic attacks or not.

I see a lot of people miss it, but it's there, the same paragraph that says invunerable characters are vunerable to magic attacks specify that magic energy is not included and they still take no damage from fireballs.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
dragonfett
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
say652 wrote:i house ruled it that the SDC damage is "normal" fire but the MD blasts are psionic fire. i house ruled this for a burster in heroes unlimited, that way they can damage invulnerable characters but not at 6d6sdc for 2isp. according to the original RCC write up all burster powers are considered psionic in nature i toned them down to level the playing field.

Umm, Invunerability renders one immune to magical energy attacks, fire specifically included. so none of a bursters psionics would hurt an invunerable character, weather they are psionic attacks or not.

I see a lot of people miss it, but it's there, the same paragraph that says invunerable characters are vunerable to magic attacks specify that magic energy is not included and they still take no damage from fireballs.

Why would you say that none of a Burster's Psionics would affect an Invulnerable character if they are immune to
MAGIC
energy. I was not aware that the Burster's powers were magic.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

um NO. it is listed under the power it offers no protection vs PSIONICS ORMAGIC both inflict full damage.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Try reading the full paragraph. emphasis mine.

"The character is only, truly, vulnerable to psionics, spell magic, magic illusions and magic weapons, all of which have full effect. However, energy type magic, like fire balls, does no damage"

Page 278 Heroes Unlimited second edition. seriously. always been there

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

jester_79 wrote:Question. What does heroes unlimited have to do with invulnerability? its a bestowed power by a god, yes. But it is not the power of invulnerability itself is it? They are immune to regular fire, so any psionicly fueled flame that is still doing SDC damage shouldn't hurt them. They are minor MDC creatures now. So as long as the flames can do MD damage, they are vulnerable to them? That's just how I interpret the power, abilities, and the question posed.

nothing. it's a tangent :D

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

hence why i ruled spending 6isp on a 2d6md blast WILL harm an invulnerable character.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:hence why i ruled spending 6isp on a 2d6md blast WILL harm an invulnerable character.

Ummm

say652 wrote:um NO. it is listed under the power it offers no protection vs PSIONICS OR MAGIC both inflict full damage.

You just claimed that the power says it offers no protection aginst magic fire. Hence my pointing out it did. also

You clearly idnicates here was that your houserule was that only the MD fire blasts are magic and this "toned the bursters down". if you were houseruling that they could harm invunerable characters, that would be beefing them up, not toning them down.

That, or you just mangled the wording.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
say652 wrote:hence why i ruled spending 6isp on a 2d6md blast WILL harm an invulnerable character.

Ummm

say652 wrote:um NO. it is listed under the power it offers no protection vs PSIONICS OR MAGIC both inflict full damage.

You just claimed that the power says it offers no protection aginst magic fire. Hence my pointing out it did. also

You clearly idnicates here was that your houserule was that only the MD fire blasts are magic and this "toned the bursters down". if you were houseruling that they could harm invunerable characters, that would be beefing them up, not toning them down.
in hu anywho i needed to rationilize spending 6 isp for a 2d6 sdc blast.......... hey how about this........this blast harms invulnerable characters, yea thats it.

That, or you just mangled the wording.
dragonfett
Knight

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Try reading the full paragraph. emphasis mine.

"The character is only, truly, vulnerable to psionics, spell magic, magic illusions and magic weapons, all of which have full effect. However, energy type magic, like fire balls, does no damage"

This still has nothing to do with the Burster because the Burster's fire is NOT MAGIC!!! Seriously! It is Psionic!
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

dragonfett wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Try reading the full paragraph. emphasis mine.

This still has nothing to do with the Burster because the Burster's fire is NOT MAGIC!!! Seriously! It is Psionic!

True, but then why did Say have to houserule that they do?

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

sdc fires are "normal"fires i.e. cannot harm mdc materials. by spending triple the isp cost you can now harm mdc materials at 2d6md increments.
dragonfett
Knight

I don't know, I am not say652. I am just going by what I remember seeing in the books.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

because in this case invulnerability protects against "energy" but in rifts is vulnerable to MD attacks.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

say652 wrote:sdc fires are "normal"fires i.e. cannot harm mdc materials. by spending triple the isp cost you can now harm mdc materials at 2d6 md increments.

"Normal fire" is fire that is not mystically augmented. Or to say 'normal' fire is mundane fire.

Any fire made via magic or psionics is never "normal". (However, these magic and psionic fires can cause 'normal' fire by causing flammable stuff to burn.)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think the problem here is that "Immune to normal, hurt by magic" leaves a middle ground of things which are non-magic but abnormal. I'm not certain we'll have a clear answer here.

If we take "normal" to mean "non-magic" then psionics fall under that and would not hurt them. Just like forms of MD flame.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”