Location of Chi-Town?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Re: Location of Chi-Town?

Unread post by Warwolf »

If I recall correctly, it was built either over or as "New Waukegan." Since that town doesn't really exist, your guess is likely as good as anyone else's as to the exact coordinates of Chi-Town.

Off-Topic: Don't see a lot of HI fans around here... you wouldn't happen to be the guy that showed up to the booth at GenCon a couple years ago, would you?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Hawaiian fan.

I;d say take a map and measure 80 miles due southwest from Chicago and see where it puts you ;)
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

According to the old adventure pack that came with the Rifts GM shields, Chi-Town is built overtop of Colfax, I'll. The Nearby Colfax River is also mentioned inTales From the Chi-Town 'Burbs.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Braden Campbell wrote:According to the old adventure pack that came with the Rifts GM shields, Chi-Town is built overtop of Colfax, I'll. The Nearby Colfax River is also mentioned inTales From the Chi-Town 'Burbs.

That's 104 miles away though. The old 80-mile reference puts it closer to either Saunemin, IL or Cullom, IL.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

There's a "think it out" part of Rifts? LOL. Anyway, southwest doesn't necessarily mean exactly southwest, it could be somewhere in between west by southwest to south by southwest. Also, 80 miles may not mean 80 miles to the heart of Chicago. It could be about 80 miles to the ruins of Old Chicago which may include a large number of the suburbs (known as the Chicagoland Area, I know because I used to live there). Looking at a map, the best location for Chi-Town (taking in to consideration what DSKauai said about access to major transportation) would be where interstate highways I-80 and I-39 intersect near Peru, IL.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Chicago as of 2098 could easily have expanded to such an extent that Colfax is only 80 miles away.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

No, the city of Chicago would remain the same size as time goes on. If anything, the number of suburb surrounding Chicago would increase, but I could never see a situation where a suburb next to Chicago being absorbed into the city proper, with the only exception being Rosemont, IL only due to the fact that Chicago has the O'Hare Airport annexed with in the city of Rosemont (meaning that despite O'Hare being within the city limits of Rosemont, it is considered a part of Chicago), and I don't even see that happening.

The main reason I don't see that happening is because of politics. If one of the suburbs were to be absorbed into Chicago, the residents of the old city would now be subjected to Chicago's laws and taxes.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”