QUESTIONS ABOUT FAMILIAR LINKS!?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrDisturbed
D-Bee

QUESTIONS ABOUT FAMILIAR LINKS!?

Unread post by MrDisturbed »

I am looking at playing a beastmaster (2nd ed conversion) and it aroused several questions for me and other members of the group I play with. Lets say I chose a bear to be my familiar, will the bear still have to hibernate during the winter? What if I saved a tiger from a gladiatorial ring and formed a familiar link with it, would he be aggressive towards everyone other than me? do I have to worry about him feasting on a gnome if I leave him unsupervised for a second? :?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT FAMILIAR LINKS!?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1st) this your own conversion of the 1st ed YS BM to PF 2nd ed?

2nd. going by the yin Sloth 1st ed book
2a) yes, the bear will want to hibernate.
2b) sort of yes, it depends a lot on how the play (or GM) runs the familiar.
2b.1) when you 1st get the "ex-fighting pit" familiar yes you will need to be in constant companion till the familiar calms down.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

MrDisturbed wrote:I am looking at playing a beastmaster (2nd ed conversion) and it aroused several questions for me and other members of the group I play with. Lets say I chose a bear to be my familiar, will the bear still have to hibernate during the winter? What if I saved a tiger from a gladiatorial ring and formed a familiar link with it, would he be aggressive towards everyone other than me? do I have to worry about him feasting on a gnome if I leave him unsupervised for a second? :?

1: becoming your familiar will not change the creatures core biology. it's intstincts will tell it to hibernate. You can use your bond to force it to remain awake but you would need to feed it more, and it would be fairly grumpy until springtime.
2: yes, it would be. I suggest using the level 9 spell Tame Beast to bring it under control, as it allows you to tame such dangerous wild animals in a few hours time. Purchasing a scroll would be a wise investment if you lack the actual spell.
3: Familiars are bound to obey direct orders, even those that go aginst instinct. If you order it "Don't eat any gnomes", it won't--as soon as you explain to him what a gnome is. he may decide to feast on the dwarf though. if you tell him "Don't eat any people" (after carefully explaining the difference between people and other animals) he may settle for eating someone's horse or dog instead. Again, here, Tame Beast is a spell that lets you pack months worth of training into a few quick hours.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

NS
Beast Master are described more as "friends" then "dominated", as would a familiar made through the 'Familiar Link" spell.
So After a Time, yes the BM would be able to prevent the example tiger to not eat people even when the BM is not present. But the Example Tiger would need it's 'friend' there to prevent such happening the times directly following it's acquisition as a 'friend'/familiar.

Yes, the Tame Beast spell would beneficial in the view point to people around the BM and their Familiar. But it would also run counter to the BM class concept PoV.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I don't really see Tame Beast as dominating an animal, it jsut lets you cram months of hard training into a few hours. you still have to actually work with/train them, it just happens faster.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”