Overcharging spells

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Overcharging spells

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

No overcharging of spells
But there is Overcharging of PPE.
A mage can "overcharge" his/her/its base up to 3x normal
But they do feel bloated during and suffer fatigue afterwards.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Is there a way to temporarily increase the range and damage of a spell/s? No, any extra PPE put into the spell is only to overcome things that pull PPE out of a spell to kill the spell before it takes effect.

----------------
DM, query: Where does it say in the books that mages suffer from fatigue after overcharging on PPE?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

jester_79 wrote:Is there a way to temporarily increase the range and damage of a spell/s? Or would it harms the mages body by overcharging/increasing the ability of his/her spells? The level of experience I assume represents their ability to channel and withstand the forces they ar channeling and controling. So by forcing more then their body can handle would it cause them harm?

No, there is no way to take penalties to increase the power of spells. in fact, making even tiny modifications to spells requires days or months of prepwork and a high probability of failure and backfire.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Is there a way to temporarily increase the range and damage of a spell/s? No, any extra PPE put into the spell is only to overcome things that pull PPE out of a spell to kill the spell before it takes effect.

----------------
DM, query: Where does it say in the books that mages suffer from fatigue after overcharging on PPE?

MoM
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

What about making a spell that doubles the range of a spell?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

dragonfett wrote:What about making a spell that doubles the range of a spell?

The only canon meta-magic I can think of is 'Energize Spell' and that just extends the duration of a L6 or lower spell for just one extension of the spell duration.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

dragonfett wrote:What about making a spell that doubles the range of a spell?

Hard to see how that would work. Through the Glass Darkly has rules for modifying things like range, but as I said, even small modifications is a high risk endeavor with low probabilities of success. it can be done but be prepared to spend some time as a moose running away from an accidentally summoned demon while your tweaking your extended range call lightning.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Is there a way to temporarily increase the range and damage of a spell/s? No, any extra PPE put into the spell is only to overcome things that pull PPE out of a spell to kill the spell before it takes effect.

----------------

MoM

Damian, I don't think I've ever read this (but I am sure) it was an oversight on my behalf, do you remember roughly where it was? I would LOVE to read it but I'm too flatout to read MoM cover to cover again.

Yours Faithfully,
~Liam
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Akashic Soldier wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:DM, query: Where does it say in the books that mages suffer from fatigue after overcharging on PPE?

MoM

Damian, I don't think I've ever read this (but I am sure) it was an oversight on my behalf, do you remember roughly where it was? I would LOVE to read it but I'm too flatout to read MoM cover to cover again.

Yours Faithfully,
~Liam

Greetings and Salutations. Since this is the second request for the information, I guess I'll try to answer. I've never actually read Mysteries of Magic (MoM) myself, but using the table of contents I was able to come across a passage on page 22. In the section Channeling and using greater amounts of P.P.E., at the end there's a section that says "Penalties." The sentence before Penalties, and then the Penalties section. Though I'll also note that this section says that the feeling is "while supercharged," not after. That could be a minor memory lapse, or this could be the wrong passage. If the former, I think the concept remains (even if the actual timeframe was off). If the latter, then we'll need to wait for Damian to chim in again. Anyways, I think that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Prysus wrote:
Akashic Soldier wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:DM, query: Where does it say in the books that mages suffer from fatigue after overcharging on PPE?

MoM

Yours Faithfully,
~Liam

Greetings and Salutations. Since this is the second request for the information, I guess I'll try to answer. I've never actually read Mysteries of Magic (MoM) myself, but using the table of contents I was able to come across a passage on page 22. In the section Channeling and using greater amounts of P.P.E., at the end there's a section that says "Penalties." The sentence before Penalties, and then the Penalties section. Though I'll also note that this section says that the feeling is "while supercharged," not after. That could be a minor memory lapse, or this could be the wrong passage. If the former, I think the concept remains (even if the actual timeframe was off). If the latter, then we'll need to wait for Damian to chim in again. Anyways, I think that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

That is the passage I was thinking of... Yeah minor memory lapse; coupled with an old house rule I think (my apologies on that).

It is my opinion though that the same penalties that apply to one over extending themselves physically should also apply when one over extends meta-physically as well. (it is akin to running full out with more than ones max carry capacity for an extended period [meta-physically speaking] after all).
that opinion however is not supported by canon.
Last edited by Damian Magecraft on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

Damian Magecraft wrote:No overcharging of spells

Where are the rules for overcharging a mages PPE pool located? I tried finding them last week while running a game and couldn't locate them for the life of me. :(
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Blindscout wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:No overcharging of spells

Where are the rules for overcharging a mages PPE pool located? I tried finding them last week while running a game and couldn't locate them for the life of me. :(

RBOM: Page 21
PF: MoM: Page 22
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

*Smacks self on the forehead*

Thank you Damian. I'm not sure how I missed that. I even recall looking through that section of the RBOM. :oops:
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Rifter #30 offers a few skills and rules for spending extra P.P.E. on spells as they're being cast, in order to get extra effect. We've been using them in our game and they've been a lot of fun.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

TLR wrote:Clearly, there is at least one way to "overcharge" spells, canonically: cast them on a Ley Line or Nexus.

Now, if a character just had some way to draw, move, or create Ley-Lines, they'd be good to go! :)

That is not overcharging, that is "Effect of LL & LLN on spells".

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”