Highspeed combat

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Highspeed combat

Unread post by psam_rage »

So we had an issue this last Sunday where our group getting assaulted by a flight of sams, and while most of the fight was our spiderbot pouncing a Sam and the grackletooth with his missile launcher, I took to the air and messed everything up.

So the group had been forgetting the move speed penalties for combat but once remembered it was easy, they aren't moving and the Sams are varying between 150 and 300 mph. (-3 to -6 to strike)

I however leapt into the air fold my wings into fighter mode and took off at 770 mph (USAF Combat pilot that just got rifted forward). Now we had the issue. At 770 MPH that is a -16 penalty. So we realized rules as written fighter pilots in rifts going mach 1+ cant hit each other.

Is this correct? Or should the calculation be the Target's speed minus attacker's speed?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Highspeed combat

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i've always read that section as being relative speeds, so you'd subtract the firing unit's speed from the speed of the target* before figuring out the penalty.

i also tend to assume that you don't suffer a penalty from your own movement if your firing at a stationary or near stationary target, at least with built in remote operated weapons on a vehicle. the idea being that most vehicles with built in weapons fired through controls (as opposed to say a pintle mount where you do the work yourself), you will have at least basic gunsights that adjust for your own movement.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I have always seen it as relative speeds.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Blindscout
Adventurer
Comment: An armed populace is a safe populace.

Unread post by Blindscout »

I haven't had it come up yet as I'm new to actually running RIFTS, but what GB98 says makes sense. Base it off the relative speeds. I certainly will be.
Guy_LeDouche wrote:Any experiment of any kind that starts with "hold my beer" should make the property owner immune to frivolous lawsuits.

Mack wrote:Oh, and if the POTUS evey gave me a nuke, I think I'd aim it at Bieber.

_/|,[____],
--...-L-[]IIII[]-
.^._.^.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

BEEP BEEP Let's go for a ride in the Jeep!
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

And pilots are trained to target at those speeds as well.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

I would go with GB2098 statement.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”