Skating Across the Megaverse

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Skating Across the Megaverse

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'm trying to put together a short list of skating/skateboarding related things found in PB. The main thing which comes to mind are a few Chaos Magic spells found in Chaos Earth: Rise of Magic. Several superpowers when given different flavor text could easily be reskinned, particularly in the context of super-inventions. Similarly there are wingboards and personal fliers in Rifts and HU which could work for a higher powered Strontium Skater type.

Chaos Magic: Hitcher, Skate, Skate in Air, Skate Like a Demon, Skate Warp
minor power: Flying Force Disc

Is there a skill somewhere which I'm not remembering?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Curbludgeon
Hero

Re: Skating Across the Megaverse

Rifter 70 has the spell Skate on Ice.

I'll keep digging, I feel like I saw a skill once in a TMNT or maybe Dead Reign book.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Rifts Canada has Ice Skating as a skill (page 36, as part of Winter Skills), with optional add-ons of Figure Skating and Hockey Skating for professional levels.

Not skating specific, but Ninjas & Superspies has the Cultural Skill (akin to Domestic skills) of Sports. This can be used for any team sport, and notes hockey as one of the options. Hockey, by design, will include skating. Conceptually, something like Roller Derby could be a team sport and included.

That's all I can think of, at this time. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Curbludgeon
Hero

Thanks, Prysus!

I got around to checking Dead Reign, and there is a Skateboarding skill in the Main Book. In the Face of Death has an expanded version which gives speed and endurance ratings. To a certain degree it meshes well with the Parkour skill described a couple pages previous.

A natural place to incorporate these sources seems to me to be with the Chaos Earth:Resurrection book. A tween Chaos Wizard with some slick moves wouldn't get invited by NEMA to help fend off a horde of technozombies, but they certainly might listen to some scuttlebutt about local Blue Zone gangs. Alternatively the character could instead be depicted as a HU Enchanted Object wielder with an MDC board.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I think that the unrevised TMNT & Other Strangeness had an "Ice Skating" skill and/or Hockey.
I don't recall anything on rollerskating, though the skills would likely be the same, or skateboarding.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Within the N&S Game the "sports" skill should be able to replicate the a skating skill if it's in the form of hockey or half-pipe skate boarding (or like) or roller derby.

Though the GM (if he decides to import into their individual game) will most likely have to change it to fit the skills climate of the game the GM is importing it into.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero

I looked at what super powers could be thematically appropriate. Assuming one isn't going for a full fledged Silver Surfer/Black Racer type, save on a skateboard, only a couple seem to fit. Adhesion, Extraordinary Speed, Gravitational Plane came to mind, with the last seeming the most fun. Glossing over that Chaos Magic spells aren't leveled, an Enchanted Object character with Gravitational Plane, the 5 skate spells, Armor of Ithan, Carpet of Adhesion, Deflect, and Ricochet Strike could work. That said, I think a potentially more fun megaversal super skater would be a Technowizard, lifting the skills from Dead Reign and rediscovering the handful of Chaos spells.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”