Rifts Movie Talk

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer
Comment: You are the greatest project you will ever work on... never give up.

Unread post by Capt. Meschievitz »

I think you cannot really have a Rifts movie without Juicers, as Juicers are an important part of the world.
after 20 odd years of the same character time has come......
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Stevil wrote:If it is Disney I know the juicier (drug user) will not be seen but maybe a crazy for comic relief. Maybe show both sides of the Shifters: the evil summoner and the superior protector. I think maybe the best way to show the coalition and the other monsters would be from the view point of a Cyber Knight. A great hero to side with and a cool costume isn't that what all action movies are about besides cussing and one liners. That is just a few ramblings from a fan.

Hmm what about showing the Dark side of being a juicer, you know have one that's burnign out and getting the last call? that might let it come in even for Disney.

The 2 shifter could work if you had good chemistry...

and the Cyberknight might seem to much like a Star Wars rip off by people who aren't fans of rifts...
I mean we know it's not but will most people watching it?
just some thoughts on your thoughts... :D
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
chaserone
Explorer

Bruckheimer and Rifts

Unread post by chaserone »

How long has the movie been a twinkle in Bruckheimer's and KS's eyes? I'm thinking since at least 2000. Considering that I know that there was an individual emailing several online GMs on thier views of the setting and plot of rifts. I was even emailed. I deleted the email after answering it. Im thinking that maybe I should have kept that email. ;-)
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Warpig wrote:All I got to say is that if the movie is at least better than than D&D then it deserves a series of sequals...everyone wants to see so much, there's really no way they can capture all of the crazy and awesome stuff on Rifts Earth in only one movie!

...and Disney better get out of the way when the Blood Buckets are flying, this ain't gonna be no squishy kids movie...although children could be in it...they could be...eaten by monsters in it.... :D

That's EXACTLY the problem, War...the Studios are NOT going to allow Realism (such as it is in an imaginary alternate Universe)...they will go for the cold, hard cash. I expect a Love Story to be woven in somehow, and Typical Hollywood Villains that are one-dimensional stereotypes (mark my words...virtually EVERYONE in the Coalition States will be protrayed as insensitve bigots...and the Emperor and his son will simply be protrayed as insane. Not calculating, not complex...insane). Oh yeah, also look for action figures for the Comic Relief character, and Rifts Corn Cereal, with little Marshmallow Coalition Skulls................
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

That's a relief.

Alex Marciniszyn

Just kidding. :)
Last edited by AlexM on Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

ironleader wrote:All this talk and still nothing new?

Is there nothing new about cast and crew, or even a schedule?

Speculation is getting is fills the pages around here but there are no answers, to the same old questions.

The movie industry moves slowly.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Blah, blah, blah

I just hope for extra goodies that Sandy Collora is picked up to help work on the film, check out his cool stuff at www.collorastudios.com
his stuff is phenominal
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Lagos
D-Bee

Unread post by Lagos »

So true....sad but true.
Dave the dragon
Explorer

Unread post by Dave the dragon »

So I take it there hasnt been any new info scince may?
"What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous ****** in the jungle."
Jorrigun

Unread post by Jorrigun »

The RIFTS movie is a project I'd probably donate an organ to create concepts for. :)
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Rifts® Movie

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

I would like to the movie fallow the Sonic boom novels it has almost everything everyone has asked for.. :-D
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Skull One

Unread post by Skull One »

AvP took so long because sigorney weaver, who actually owns a great deal of the aliens franchise, held it up. for years she would not consider it=, then when she did she wanted a other aliens movie to come out, then she wanted more conrol, and so on and so forth.

then they had a script, it was terrible (hard to be worse then the moive!) so they had to start over, then the first director was released, had to find another.

so AvP had many porblems from the get go, which is most likely why in my view, the movie SUCKED!
SaltySqueegee

Unread post by SaltySqueegee »

Updates on the progress of this project???
Trent Ventis

wooooooooo

Unread post by Trent Ventis »

I hope Im in the movie :-p

Sea-Titan / Mind-melter from Psiscape specializing in Psi-sword(double damage). Mwahaha
-------------------------

Rifts movie... sounds like it could be a fun ride. It's one of those things that could suck huge or be amazing. It's a very fragile thing and I hope it goes the way of amazing like it should be.

GO KEVIN!!! WOOT
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Chewbacca wrote:Disney better have Juicers Rifts aint Rifts without Juicers.

Disney and drugs. What a great match!!!

Sometimes I need to take drugs to sit through a Disney movie.
The Phoenix is Coming!
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

K20A2_S wrote:
Matt_Cauthon1 wrote:Any New information out there? Can't find any thing new about it.
Look at the thread I just made.

Linky!
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
YubaRaider

Unread post by YubaRaider »

Last I heard... It wasn't sounding too good. The way I hear it.. they haven't even started on writing anything. Does anyone have any news about this movie? And where in the process it is? Anything?
jesse04
Wanderer

Unread post by jesse04 »

NO entries on IMDB.com

:oops:
Maryann
Adventurer

Unread post by Maryann »

YubaRaider wrote:Last I heard... It wasn't sounding too good. The way I hear it.. they haven't even started on writing anything. Does anyone have any news about this movie? And where in the process it is? Anything?

Actually your slightly behind. Kevin has met with the wriiter, David Franzoni, and work has started, here on the boards, we just haven't been told how far along things are.
Snoopy and Charlie Brown are (c) Peanuts Worldwide.
"Besser ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende." ( A frightening end is better than an endless fright) -- Nelly
You called down the thunder, well now you got it!
Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

punisher1
D-Bee

Unread post by punisher1 »

Oooh Story Boards? It's a start! Hey do they ever sell those? If so I'd buy one or Two LOL
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Maryann wrote:
Actually your slightly behind. Kevin has met with the wriiter, David Franzoni, and work has started, here on the boards, we just haven't been told how far along things are.

What would we do without you? :-D
The Phoenix is Coming!
punisher1
D-Bee

Unread post by punisher1 »

Ya thanks for the update Maryann! You rock!

Well I hope the greedy mouse doesn't sit on the Idea for to long. Somehow things can drag out for ever. Generally battle over profit from the movies which brings up the point of Stan Lee fighting to get his lowly 10% from the Spiderman movies that came out. Somebody posted about Kevin arguing about T-shirt sales LOL.

Problem with brining Comics and Roll playing to movie life. Technology is now at the point where they can make those fantasies seem real hence all the Marvel movies. Rifts has it's own issues with that. It's such a fantastic world with so many things that can't be easily done without massive CGI and all kinds of movie sets, costumes and what not. So the production is not exatcly "cheap" So I'm sure theres all kinds of concerns about the investment and the return.

Since the D&D movie flopped I'm sure comparisons have been made. Not that D&D is not great it's just that the movie was bad no fault of the guys at D&D I'm sure they would have told a better story.

So hopefully we will all jump for joy when the annoucement comes out when the movie will be produced. Then cross our fingers hoping that the movie will be well done and gain popularity.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:Just think, the longer the RIFTS movie takes to make, better technology will come about, and the better the special effects will be! 8) :D :ok:

Yeah, but at the rate special effects (read: computers) are evolving these days; no matter how good it looks when it comes out, it will probably look cheesy in ten years or less when compared to the new movies. Case in point: Who thought Independence Day had awesome special effects when it first came out? But they don't look quite as awesome when compared to movies like Constantine or I Robot, do they?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Syndicate
Adventurer

Unread post by Syndicate »

I can only add that I am very enthusiastic about the movie, and will continue to support any efforts to produce one. If for some reason this movie is unable to be produced, I will personnel take-up the mantle of responsiblity and ensure that one IS eventually made.

...So help me God...
"What began as a gathering, ended as an organization."
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

K20A2_S wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:
K20A2_S wrote:
Matt_Cauthon1 wrote:Any New information out there? Can't find any thing new about it.
Look at the thread I just made.

Linky!
http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?t=35542

:?
Was the thread deleted? :-?
(the link isn't active/working.....)
wraith415

Unread post by wraith415 »

if Kevin wants to write how about a TV series? with no Trek to watch (Except reruns) I think it would do well. On the other hand a Phase World series could potentially do even better....
Doormatjones

Unread post by Doormatjones »

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/comingsoon/r/rifts.htm

This site seems to have the most info I've seen up to date... most of it is already discussed here... but it does make a nice reference, plus they seem interested.
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Went to that site, nothing new there. a lot of blanks to be filled in...sigh...

Is it too much to ask for a release date? :?
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Capt. Meschievitz
Explorer
Comment: You are the greatest project you will ever work on... never give up.

Unread post by Capt. Meschievitz »

well only ten pages, slowly building...
after 20 odd years of the same character time has come......
Gallahan
Adventurer

Unread post by Gallahan »

I don't think there will be a RIFTS movie. Many times, Hollywood buys rights and the movie never gets made, or is made 20 years later. Just like the HYPE about the latest Indiana Jones movie. I don't think that will get made either.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be negative, but when you involve great ideas with showBUSINESS... great ideas and concepts fall through the cracks.

I just don't think the movie is on track. I think that it's just a bunch of hype and in the end... there will only be the roleplaying game. No movie. Can someone *in the know* give us fans some hope?
"Coincidence is a glimpse into a pattern otherwise hidden."
"We live in a world of secrets. Where those secrets intersect, people die."
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Just Googled Franzoni and found out the following:

David Franzoni’s Milestones
1986 First produced screenplay, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"; credited as David H Franzoni; provided the story and was one of four credited writers on the script.
1992 Breakthrough script, the teleplay for the HBO biopic "Citizen Cohn"; earned a 1993 Emmy nomination.
1996 Signed a first look deal with DreamWorks SKG to write, produce and direct features.
1997 Served as screenwriter for Steven Spielberg's "Amistad"; reportedly Steve Zallian rewrote his script, but Franzoni ended up with sole screen credit.
1997 Named (along with Spielberg and others) in a plagiarism suit brought by author Barbara Chase-Riboud who claimed "Amistad" was based on her novel "Echo of Lions"; suit settled out of court.
2000 Co-wrote script for "Gladiator"; also served as one of the film's producers; film received 12 Oscar nominations including Best Picture and Best Screenplay.

Let's just hope that he can do sci-fi/fantasy as well as historical action/drama, and that he truly can do good, original work (even if it is based on established material). Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I know I had heard about the plans to do the AvP and Ghost Rider movies years before they were finalized.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

I'd like to see Vin Diesal as star of the movie.Let's get him back to his action & Sci-Fi roots.Add the fact he is gamer might appeal to him.L8r
Sgt Leo MacKenzie CSA Commando
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

How do you know Vin Diesel is a gamer?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

Because he has mentioned it in a few interviews.L8r
Sgt Leo MacKenzie CSA Commando
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

any links to these interviews?
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

thud wrote:Freddy Prinze Jr and Matthew Lillard are also big-time gamers, as are Jack Black and Seth Green.

That would make for one interesting adventuring group... Someone should attempt to get a few of them together for a celebrity gaming event! Maybe Origins or GenCon next year? I could at least see Black and Green getting in on it if they could fit it into the schedule.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Toby McGuire (sp?) was a closet gamer. I know he's a big Star Wars fan and often (i.e. not always) the two coincide. He just seems to fit the psych profile of a typical gamer of that age.
Lamont

Unread post by Lamont »

Vin Diesel wrote the foreword for Thirty Years of Adventure : A Celebration of Dungeons & Dragons.
The Ruiner
Explorer
Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.

Unread post by The Ruiner »

Vin was also on Conan Obrian talking about the forward he wrote and his favorite D&D character
"There's only room in here for One, and I've decided it's not you."

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Swift-13 »

Heck, the character's name was a tattoo on his chest in the movie XXX, I think. I know it was in one of his movies...
Remember who you wanted to be.
Esckey
Adventurer

Unread post by Esckey »

Freddy Prinze Jr and Matthew Lillard are also big-time gamers

Kay I don't really care for Freddy, too prissy, but is Matthew Lillard the guy that played Shaggy in the movies? Cause if so, he's one of my all time favriote low key actors
God says he loves me, but I suspect he's just in it for the sex

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

thud wrote:What's going on with the movie is probably the same thing that was going on last week, and the week before that, and the week before that...
Siembieda and Co. are locked down under anti-trust contracts that could choke a Fury Beetle.
THere's no telling how long the whole affair may take, but to quote Kevin S. from a conversation I had with him at GenCon last year, regarding Franzoni's script:
Me: "So someone is actually writing a script?"
Kevin S. "THey paid him $4 million dollars to write it; he better be working on it..."

We can only wait and hope. Perhaps GenCon '05 will reveal more...

This is realtively consistent with the conversation I had with KS at GenCon this Thursday (there are some differences, but they're not pertinent to the fact of the movie being in production). He and I talked about the movie and it's still being worked on, Bruckheimer is still excited about this, and everything is moving forward. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about what he said or not, and I don't want to cause snags or get things in trouble, but the movie is moving forward and Franzoni's still on it.

Hopefully there'll either be someone that can tell the whole story of what I know. There's a tiny update that I have, but beyond that, everything is as it was before.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

Subjugator wrote:
thud wrote:What's going on with the movie is probably the same thing that was going on last week, and the week before that, and the week before that...
Siembieda and Co. are locked down under anti-trust contracts that could choke a Fury Beetle.
THere's no telling how long the whole affair may take, but to quote Kevin S. from a conversation I had with him at GenCon last year, regarding Franzoni's script:
Me: "So someone is actually writing a script?"
Kevin S. "THey paid him $4 million dollars to write it; he better be working on it..."

We can only wait and hope. Perhaps GenCon '05 will reveal more...

This is realtively consistent with the conversation I had with KS at GenCon this Thursday (there are some differences, but they're not pertinent to the fact of the movie being in production). He and I talked about the movie and it's still being worked on, Bruckheimer is still excited about this, and everything is moving forward. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about what he said or not, and I don't want to cause snags or get things in trouble, but the movie is moving forward and Franzoni's still on it.

Hopefully there'll either be someone that can tell the whole story of what I know. There's a tiny update that I have, but beyond that, everything is as it was before.

/Sub

I would think that anything that Kevin said, he was allowed to say.
The Phoenix is Coming!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

I guess you're right...

Unread post by Subjugator »

WorldofRifts wrote:
Subjugator wrote:This is realtively consistent with the conversation I had with KS at GenCon this Thursday (there are some differences, but they're not pertinent to the fact of the movie being in production). He and I talked about the movie and it's still being worked on, Bruckheimer is still excited about this, and everything is moving forward. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about what he said or not, and I don't want to cause snags or get things in trouble, but the movie is moving forward and Franzoni's still on it.

/Sub

I would think that anything that Kevin said, he was allowed to say.

Well, per this last week, Franzoni's getting 1.5 mil to write the script and he's doing either a second one or a rewrite right now. What that tells me is that Bruckheimer is interested in this enough to pay serious cash for the movie and that he's willing to wait for it to be done well.

I started reading up on Bruckheimer - that dude is a freaking powerhouse.

Bartleby
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

I wonder how much free stuff the writer got from Palladium
The Phoenix is Coming!
MethosDarkblade
Wanderer
Comment: The Dark General of the Apocalypse and the right hand man to the Horseman of Death

Unread post by MethosDarkblade »

I think one of every Rifts book would not cost them too much. Just for the price of research.
Methos Darkblade

If you smell who the rat is cooking.

Super or otherwise, you are just a man, while I am a God!
-Darkseid

That was fairly ruthless father. I hope I made you proud.
-Aqualad

Always better to crash the mode
-Impulse
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

DZestmen wrote:Ridley Scott is my favorite director and think that he would do a great job, but everyone has their bad days.

I don't think Ridley Scott was very happy with the script to Gladiator which Franzoni wrote. There were very many rewrites and it wasn't long enough from what I've heard.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Any news on how far along the script is?
AlanStormCrew

Unread post by AlanStormCrew »

really? :)
Aelius

Unread post by Aelius »

I can tell you right now it has squat to do with visuals. A perfect example is King Arthur. One of Jerry's recent big movies.

They croped or cut so much from the theatrical release that it was almost like watching a new movie when watching the director's cut that had all the blood and guts included in it.

It's an example of what happens when you have a poor script and often poor visuals and you try to make it up with blood and guts.

Compare that to Gladiator which had a lot less blood then King Arthur but the visuals and story made up for it ten fold.

So just because you don't have a ton of guts hanging out of a person after they were struck by 200 flechette rounds from a Glitter Boy it doesn't mean it's suddenly a hit film. The reverse is also true.

You have to find a common ground for people to take in the sights and sounds as well as easily make sense of the conversations going on. A perfect example of where this was pulled off well was Aliens.

To live up to our dreams Jerry will have to release a movie on par with Aliens. I simply don't see that happening with the current brand of directors that tend to direct these so called blockbusters. When then happily flop. Now you take someone like Joss Whedon who masterfully directed Serenity with some of the most eye poping, yet strikingly simple, visuals (remember the end of the film when it's raining and the camera is very close several objects and you see the water droplets forming on them and it's suddenly moving and the camera follows it and then pans out into a wide shot? That's so simple yet I can name only two directors that matched that and that's James Cameron and Steven Spielberg).
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

the real idea

Unread post by zerombr »

I'm going to give you the real suggestion, the real winning idea for a Rifts movie, I swear this'll be done just perfect, you know it has to....Just get Genny Tartokovsky (sp?) from the Star Wars Clone Wars animated to do it, ohh dude now THAT is awesome!

Return to “Rifts® Movie”