Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Post subject: Prosek actor
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:54 pm

Adventurer

Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled
how about Ian McKellen as Emperor Prosek?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:13 pm

Wanderer

The guy that was Shaun's stepdad in Shaun of the dead, and the head Vamp in Underworld, would make a great Emperor Proseck.

And, not to beat a dead TW horse, your main character is gonna have to be someone whom the audience can learn about the Rifts world through and identify with. So City Rat, young rogue scholar, Cyber-knight apprentice (might be too 'AotC for Lucas's legal team), and maybe a young CS grunt.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:28 pm

D-Bee

Yeah, the movie would be pretty boring if someone that is a main character (that the mainstream viewers will not recognise and have trouble relating to or unrderstanding) was the big and mighty regulars of RIFTS. It's gotta' be a couple (and it would have to be more of a party since, or at least an unlikely grouping, since you would need to have a few different walks of life to introduce someone to RIFTS) of different folks. A good combo is people who've been dealing with two loyalties and have had multiple faction experiences. The Bruce Willis idea pens it, and I think Bruce Willis would be the perfect actor to take a role of the CS Psychic. He has CS flashbacks as he becomes more attuned to his psychic powers, so we get a taste (as well as aided with other flashbacks in general) of what the CS was/is for him (and heck throw in a little bit of change of policy to show the unpredictability of it all). The new psychis powers give him a tolerance, and possibily a need for those he might not normally consort with. Here we can pop in a D-Bee of some type (which between dialogue will explain more about D-Bees and the CS culture), and a magic user, and most definitely another psychic, because he'll need someone to identify with. Perhaps the psychic is even an evil Mind Melter, but he (Willis) doesn't really see the true colours, because he is somewhat dependent on him for advice, and support and because Mind Melters are just sneaky folks. Having a potential enemy, that is similar, but stronger, is often a good combo, it has classic struggle, and attempt to relate, deal with betrayal, and so on, something the mainstream (and certainly some of us) will eat up like hot cakes. (What the bloody hell is a hot cake anyway, I've heard different descriptions....) The Flashbacks from these different peopel (as well as just thoughts in general and the way they act) will be able to tell a lot of the back story and explain the general working of RIFTS EArth, as well as progress the main story, so we don't have to focus on just Tolkeen, or the CS, or something completely different, we get just enough for each (as players we know all the nitty gritty, so why go through it again?) experience to inform and entertain the average viewer. making RIFTS a movie, and not something as wholly derived to suit one crowd only. We see this in big time hits, such as Star Wars. We don't see every single nook and cranny nor do we entirely focus on one agenda (the Galaxy was rather limited as Lucas originally perceived it, so of course the GCW was a mainstream thing). we don't get the scoop on the Black Sun for example, that a side thing that more dedicated fans got/get into. Lucas made Star Wars for the average joe essentially, and it scored big (believe it or not, it isn't confined to just those people that are called 'nerds'). If Lucas can pull that off, then KS and Co. can too.

As for Prosek, I would rather have someone with more look-alike quality than the essential 'timbre' of the acting. Patrick Stewart's baldness makes it a little difficult to perceive him as Prosek, though I know historically Stewart could readily act as Prosek. Per haps makeup, etc. would do it. I have said Baldwin before, though I can't attest to his ability to really fill Prosek authentically. From looking at pictures of Prosek, I just think he naturally has the look. I've also considered Robert De Niro, but that would be kinda' wierd again, and he doesn't have the optimal appearance factor.
I do think that someone along the lines of Pierce Brosnan looks wise would be great for Joeseph, and he can act pretty well too boot, perhaps that is more up to debate, but he pretty much fits that look bill. Obviously I'm thinking the tried and pretty much true group, there is some unharnessed talent that we haven't seen too much that could eassily fill these roles too. For other roles beides the big guy, perhaps versatile people, like Harrison Ford, and Sheen could fill some roles, they can play a bunch of different things, and I know that at least Ford is a big ticket guy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:51 am

Hero

I dont think the main char will be anyone famous in the Rifts world. Thats not what rifts is about. They will play roles in the movie but it is the nameless char that is the center of rifts and that should be the center of the movie.

I dont think it will be a CS soldier since they make such awesom evillians, being one of them takes away a major villian on some levels.

I dont think a juicer would make a good main, because the are generally too erratic and certain things would not be done by a juicer that story writers would want to happen. (among other reasons already mentioned in this thread)

The main char could, and maybe should be a GB pilot since the GB is the face of Rifts. They are heroic in nature, appeals to the BFG (big f'n gun) audience and could fit in anywhere.

w/e the case is, it'll prolly be a random group of adventurers who stumble into the story.

some people have said that erin tarn would suck as MC(main char). i disagree since she is always in trouble, always in the thick of things, and a major antagonist of the world. she could bring lots to the table. But i think her being a main part of the story rather than a MC would be much better.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:09 am

Wanderer

I think the main character should either be a Battle Magus who defects from Dwoemer after falling in love with a psychic or a Psi-Warrior who has a vendetta against the CS (BM to be played by Jake Gylenhaal (sp?) Heath Ledger or Paul Walker (for the chicks). The psychic love interest would be Angelina Jolie, Uma Thurman, or Halle Berry (for me)). Throw in a dash of Ving Rhames or Michael Clarke Duncan (as a big bad @$$ juicer), a little of the voice of James Earl Jones or Michael Winfield or the guy who did the voice of Golaith from "Gargoyles" for a 'Borg. Colin Farrel or Gary Oldman as a Psi-slinger or a Crazy (how damn cool would that be?!?!?) Get some little cutie like Lindsay Lohan for a City Rat/hacker and you've got you're good guys.
As for baddies: Christopher Walken for the main evil CS figure (Emporer Prosek or the guy leading the major bad guys' squad), if Gary Oldman isn't used in my previously mentioned capacity, then he should definately be a bad guy (like a CS Mind Melter), Lucy Liu, Catherine Zeta Jones, or Selma Hayek as the sadistic 2nd in command to CW (unless CW is the Emporer, of course), some big wrestler type like The Rock or Goldberg for the CS Juicer, and someone who doesn't look stupid bald to play a CS Psi-Stalker.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:48 am

Explorer

Well, all of this is superflous but, I say grunt, headhunter, or otherwise simple man.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:46 am

D-Bee

Personally i think it should follow the story of some Vanguard Member, having to fight the darkest parts of evil that are flung at them while at the same time defending a people that hate them beyond all other aspects and reasoning. But theres always the fun idea of some teen getting rifted from a peaceful dimension and time and dropped into the nightmare of Rifts and seeing the violence from the middle and not knowing which side and thorugh some hollywood mogic unites the masses and peace shall reign ...sounds cheesy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:14 am

D-Bee

A JUICER!!!!!!!!!! mega jucer would kick a$$

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:41 am

Wanderer

a great char in the film would be a true atlantean back from his megaversal travels to help reclaim his lost home. of course there would have to ba a battle with a splugotth slave barge with four scantally clat blind warrior woman.

i have onlyone carl prosek in mind........GARY OLDMAN .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:55 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Tricky wrote:
The guy that was Shaun's stepdad in Shaun of the dead, and the head Vamp in Underworld, would make a great Emperor Proseck.

And, not to beat a dead TW horse, your main character is gonna have to be someone whom the audience can learn about the Rifts world through and identify with. So City Rat, young rogue scholar, Cyber-knight apprentice (might be too 'AotC for Lucas's legal team), and maybe a young CS grunt.

he already played a vampire lord in Underworld , but its still a good casting choice. too bad someone beat ya to it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:58 pm

Dungeon Crawler

i agree with a juicer concept. the character would have to be a juicer for some sacrificial reason though. for her family (not revenge, overdone) . perhaps joining a militia to get money for some greedy mage to heal the disease of her 6 year old brother. thats half of a movie right there.

the kid that becomes a hero is too star warsy and should be avoided for atleast 20 years. especially one that would become a cyberknight.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:41 pm

Me and my frined belive that it should be like saving private ryan or enemy at the gates,because thats all that rifts is, its just military conflict, as my frined said "there is no ultimate hero" its all about who can smash the other into the ground faster. so it should be a war and nothing but all out war, none of this love crap they have been putting in recent movies. just get to the killing, have it be the CS against the CCWor why not make it interplanatary war, or something like CCW and TE or something like that, just make it brutal and awesome, AND MAKE SURE THAT THE HUMANS DONT COME OUT VICTORIOUS, come on man, i mean humans defeating kreeghor, and wolfen, i mean jesus, at least make alot of humans die before one kreeghor goes down.

there that is my response on the movie, hope my input helps you think of something to do it on

Post subject: main character
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:09 am

Explorer

i think it could be a sploogareth slave, who escapes and tries to get away from atlantis. it might even be good for kids who liked the atlantis movie and have now aged some. a tattoe master would be rather interesting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:32 am

D-Bee

You definatly have to go with mostly normal looking, maybe with a cybernetic part or two. Someone the non-rifts playing audience can identify with and capable of holding the center screen through all stages of the story, while also being able to stomp some *** when need be

I was thinking
headhunter
ex coalition soldier/flyboy
operator
Psychic
line walker
Hatchling dragon ( whoever posted this one, i like it alot )
Glitterboy pilot

For a movie though, one thing that is important is that the audience can always see the main characters face, so that kind of narrows the list down a bit, any of the above would make a good buddy to the main hero. You could then add some of the more extreme OCC's/RCC's in more limited roles while giving them enough time to show their stuff.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:18 am

Champion

Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!
I loved the novels that came out. They cover the basics and get things rolling good. Add some more creatures & rifts to show the limitless possibilities of Rifts Earth. A pack of wild vampires are a must.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:23 am

Champion

How cool would the cover of rifts core book be on a movie poster. Life sized on the theater thats my dream.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:38 pm

1 word....Crazy. That's what I want to see. Some nut job who wets himself whenever someone shoots a gun.

:lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:27 am

Champion

A CS Squad commander and a cyber knight. Two sides with bolth changing their views on D-bees, magic and coalition.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:37 pm

Explorer

I'm thinking a Rogue Scholar would be a decent main character (and not an eighty year old woman either). That, or the traveling druid in the color painting in the main book (the one with the tiger)...mmm...druid...

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:23 pm

D-Bee

I feel that a Ley Line Walker would be a great main character. You can have him or her start as a citizen of the Coalition States. They may even be part of the military and then suddenly their powers start to emerge. The CS discovers this and tries and apprehend him or her as the try and escape Chi-Town.

There would be adventure trying to get out of Chi-Town and then the viewers would see the burbs, the D-bees and the Coalition States in the flesh.

The climax of the movie would be the Ley Line Walker witnessing a rift opening or his first visit to a ley line or nexus point. Throw in a monument of the 21st Century like the Planet of the Apes did and then watch as Coalition States try and track him or her down.

While the Ley Line Walker makes his way to old Chicago, he can meet tons of characters from Rifts like the Glitter Boy, Juicer, Cyber-Knight, not to mention the power armors, vehicles and technology.

I think you should make a horror-adventure movie with a serious tone like that found in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy rather than a comedy-adventure like that found in the Pirates of the Carribean movies. It just makes more sense to me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:29 pm

D-Bee

As long as they have a Crazy for comic relief that is all that matters. And not one that pees himself when a gun goes off but one that is like he is coked out of his mind or just needs to lay off the caffine. The kind of guy that sings It's Raining Men as a Death's Head Transport does a parachute drop of some grunts on the way to get the main char and his party. Even better would be after a fight if he took the helmet of a Dead Boy, put it on his hand and started singing Iron Man. Something to add just a little bit of humor to the movie.

Post subject: Rifts Movie
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:47 pm

D-Bee

I enjoy the idea of comic relief and all but if I was writing a script I would try to keep the jokes to a minimum, no matter who was in the party.

Movie goers deserve a good sci-fi horror movie like Alien to give the audience some really terrifying moments. Imagine the main character walking through a dark alley with glowing eyes coming from the darkness and actually have something in there instead of a tease.

Most movies throw in that sudden scare like grabbing someone's shoulder when they are looking the wrong way or the main character gets scared by someone in his group. I'm talking about terrror that comes from the unknown and stalks the graveyards and dark places.

That is how RIFTS must be protrayed in order for it to work. Having a family movie takes away all the crazy changes that has happened in the world and how delicate life really is.

Throw in all the references of our historical significance and that will give the audience the idea of how truly blessed we really are and how lucky we live in a world without these horrors and magical disturbances. There would be thousands of us who would never step out of our door if the supernatural really existed. But who knows maybe we are just a rift away from it actually happening.

Tin

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:30 am

This is Rifts, it supposed to be limited by your imagination. There in lies the problem of making a movie about it. IMHO Bruckheimer should take a risk and film and release 2 movies simultaneously. One with a LLW or mystic as star and one from the point of view of CS Grunt.
Could be 2 Brothers separated at birth.
I would make the love interest of the non-cs brother a cyber knight.
Have the story take place in the backdrop of the invasion of Tolkeen.
Eventually have 2 trilogies. It would be interesting to have the 2 movies "compete" against each other at the box office.
Just an idea.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:20 am

You wouldn't need two seperate films to present a broad view of Rifts Earth. If the script is handled properly then you could simply have two groups, say a Lazlo expedition and a CS special forces team both going after some recently unearthed Pre-Rift facility wherein lies some acient terror. If the film is given a decent enough running time and there isnt alot of time wasted trying to show eye candy then you could get to the heart of the charecters ideals and beliefs and allow the viewer to decide who is the good guy and who is the bad guy.

Two movies with a CS and Magic good guy doesnt really challenge the viewer to make a choice between ideals. A well done Rifts film should be able to challenge a viewer on subjects like racism, political choices and war while still being able to deliver an entertaining and visualy stunning peice of film work.

Post subject: Rifts Movie
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:33 am

D-Bee

I believe that the idea of having one main character that has a magical background trying to hide his abilities and sees himself as a marked man. His family lives in Chi-Town and if he is discovered with magical abilities, then his family is in danger as well. Maybe one of the mage's family members is a racist that hates and dispises magic and D-bees.

I also believe that if we had a seperate group from another place other than Chi-Town would take away the element of suprise. The audience would believe that Earth has changed alot and the CS facist state is nothing more than a society like that found in movies likes 1984 and Brazil or recent movies like V for Vendetta.

BUt once you remove the main characters from Chi-Town into the world of Rifts Earth, you introduce the true main character the world itself. That way the group is constantly being confronted by unpredictable weather, rifts opening and on the run from the Coalition and mercenaries.

Eventually the group would make it to a safe haven and find more people like themselves. Maybe it is in Old Chicago or Tolkeen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:46 am

D-Bee

Oh come on now guys you can do better than that.

What better main character for Rifts than a Rifted human from our time, say a woman who was with Victor Lazlo when he got rifted, except she went through the Rift after him after its location shifted to North America. She ended up with a headhunter party who was fighting demons along with some Cyber Horsemen, Cyber Knights, Tundra Rangers and Psi Stalkers. She was a very powerful psychic in our time, but now being in Rifts Earth her powers explode, showing her gaining new powers all the time. Some Rogue Scholars and Scientists were part of the demon hunting party and one of them along with a (female Elf) Ley Line Walker, Techno Wizard (Human), Quick Flex Gunslinger, Human Cyber Knight, A Grackletooth Merc, a Crazy and a Juicer (the three being there for comic relief, the juicer and the crazy having a rivalry, and the juicer being super awesome but also super serious, he can also be the straightman to the crazy's jokes) who was also there with the party accompany her to Lazlo where she meets Plato. (The Gunslinger is there because the Crazy owes him money)

Then of course you have to have a couple of redshirts to get eaten/killed along the way (low level Cyberknights, Tundra Rangers, various DBee mercs, Psi Stalkers, Cyber Horsemen, Orcs mercs, Dwarf headhunters, etc)

And the story takes off from there. Of course they meet Native Americans, Simvan, A really nasty T-Rex, destroyed cities, and a Coalition Patrol who are patrolling for Xiticix (which they get attacked by) at the time (complete with Dogboys) along the way. And lets not forget a barfight in a NG town along the way as well. (the Crazy is a Klepto and a notorious pathological liar)

She is also carrying a bookbag filled with great historical books, newspapers, music, dvds of all kind, etc (she is in college) which the Coalition Patrol get wind of, and report back to Chi Town, resulting in a bounty on her.

And lets not forget the victory over some Sploog slavers at the end of the movie, complete with death of the lead Cyberknight for emotion.

And of course the corny romance between her and the Rogue Scholar/Scientist.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:20 pm

D-Bee

Quote:
What better main character for Rifts than a Rifted human from our time, say a woman who was with Victor Lazlo when he got rifted, except she went through the Rift after him after its location shifted to North America.

I'm not a big fan of the 'Man from another time,' concepts. I saw He-Man. Let's not blend time periods :-?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:09 pm

D-Bee

I'd have to say a SAMAS pilot that, partway through the movie, starts having questions about the way things are. I'd limit Emperor Prosek to one, maybe two screen appearances max, and neither of them very long. Just long enough to give the audience a feel of what a diabolical, evil SOB he really is. Maybe the first scene being where he gives a speech at said pilot's graduation? Then one more about midway through.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:09 am

D-Bee

DogBoyDetroit wrote:
Quote:
What better main character for Rifts than a Rifted human from our time, say a woman who was with Victor Lazlo when he got rifted, except she went through the Rift after him after its location shifted to North America.

I'm not a big fan of the 'Man from another time,' concepts. I saw He-Man. Let's not blend time periods :-?

He Man straight out sucked

And its not a man out of time its a woman, it can work for those who know nothing about Rifts.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:31 am

Dungeon Crawler

I think a Jucier would be perfect. What better story line for our hero! His family killed by some great menice while he was a young boy. CS, Monster, Warlord, ect. ect....only to vow revenge for what they did. Our hero joins a mercenary company to pay for his Jucier conversion. He bails on them after the conversion to go get his revenge....throw in a little love story to were it becomes about him saving the girl and humanity..bla bla bla...the whole tragic hero stuff.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:30 pm

Knight

Ultimo Noressi wrote:
DogBoyDetroit wrote:
Quote:

And its not a man out of time its a woman, it can work for those who know nothing about Rifts.

and a hot women. like jessica alba.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:30 pm

Dungeon Crawler

MountainMan wrote:
I'd have to say a SAMAS pilot that, partway through the movie, starts having questions about the way things are. I'd limit Emperor Prosek to one, maybe two screen appearances max, and neither of them very long. Just long enough to give the audience a feel of what a diabolical, evil SOB he really is. Maybe the first scene being where he gives a speech at said pilot's graduation? Then one more about midway through.

This also would be a bad ass plot, or even a CS Army Special Forces Soldier

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:52 am

Explorer

DogBoyDetroit wrote:
Quote:

Actually, it's perfect. After all, there's the nice, built in mechanism of the super-duper top secret pre-rifts rift generator at Lone Star. But in the end, it's all on how such a character is handled. I wouldn't want to see someone from 2007 come thru and get behind the controls of an Ulti-Max and start wasting everyone, nor someone who's reaction is "Huh, how wierd, Yay I'm in the future!" but rather a character who's response is a slow process of acceptance, going thru disbelief, obsessing about getting home, etc.

And now, my shameless plug:
http://www.dragonboltstudios.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:54 am

Explorer

Ultimo Noressi wrote:
DogBoyDetroit wrote:
Quote:

I'm starting to think you hacked my system and snaged my treatment :P

Veyr similar to the story I had come up with a while ago....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:44 am

D-Bee

My problem with the idea is that it moves beyond a character the audience can identify with and brings a purely current sense of morality and ethics - most likely US in nature - into a world where the population has been tranformed over hundreds of years by terror and suffering beyond anything our world could imagine. I think if the movie is going to be a success the morality of the Coalition needs to be more ambiguous than John (Jenny) American would see them as.

I'm not saying it absolutely couldn't work, but I think it actually makes the process of realistically portraying the situation the Coalition and those around them find themselves in more difficult.

I realize many -players- think of the Coalition as mindless masked bad guys to blow up and spit on. I've always seen this as a by-product of our familiarity with the Nazis and fascism being too great to ignore the similarities in imagery and tactics. However, I've always been more influenced by Kevin's writing concerning the true nature of the people on the inside than anything else in Rifts. I think the best movie - one judged against other movies of all genres and not only sci-fi/fantasy - would need to delve into those choices of ends justifying means and how far humanity would go to survive when truly pushed to the brink. There's a depth to the subject matter that gets overlooked too often in my opinion.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:00 pm

Explorer

We definately have diametricaly opposed views on this. I see bringing in a wo/man from pre-rifts to be an excellent way to draw an audience into the world of rifts. It can be used to grant a familiar perspective on an unfamiliar world. Again, it's how it's done that could make or break this kind of storyline.

The last thing I want to see done is what happened with Serenity. That was a movie for Firefly fans, and a lot of folks just got left out in the cold while watching it (espesially those people who aren't exactly sci-fi fans).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:21 am

D-Bee

I have to say it again, the original Julian Amici.

People are not going to see the Rifts movie to learn about RIFTS, theres no need to try and draw them in and explain everything. No, it would be far more fun to simply have a movie about a specific character and their piece of the world. There could be many movies made focusing on different areas and conflicts. Thing is, in order for that to happen the first needs to be succesful... to do that I think they need to capitalize on one of the few really amazingly unique concepts; ie the Juicer. The only other character anyone has probably heard of with similar traits is perhaps Bane, from DC comics.

A high tech computer controlled drug dispenser that delivers super chemicals anytime their needed to make the juicer into a super-soldier of astounding ability in an instant. If anyone has read that story in Juicer uprising describing the juice kicking in and the world slowing to a crawl as the Juicer can count the hairs on his opponents face and still have time to slash his throat if he so wanted to... thats awesome!

The effects have already been pioneered in the Matrix, it would be a really awesome way to use some of those really great effects and action sequences without seeming like just a cheap rip-off. At the same time, we have a hero who know's he's going to die and yet here he is working against the coalition. Trying to assassinate key officials in order to free the d-bees from their oppression.

Trying to make some elaborate random average person in rifts into the hero of the story is just going to waste a lot of time on introductions and explaining things... instead of just showing a juicer and his abilities kicking asses. He'll pick up some companions and they can explain about a few things while the Juicer owns them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:43 am

Explorer

Col. McBride Tyson wrote:
MountainMan wrote:

thats not a bad call Col., However make him more well it's a nessecery evil that he must do towards the end of the movie, I would say make so the world ends off where it started off but a slightly different angle on life.. something is different....

This is your life - It doesn't get any better than this - You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake - You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else - We are all part of the same compost heap - We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world........

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:01 pm

Adventurer

Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)
Col. McBride Tyson wrote:
MountainMan wrote:

i still think a jericho holmes type would be awsome.that whole storyline would be amazing to see on film.men ,better yet humans vs the supernatural,(well d-bees), but it would be gripping to see cs soldiers being dragged away but jericho has standing orders to keep moving,no shooting back...just think of it. IMHO

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:45 pm

Explorer

Immortalis wrote:
I have to say it again, the original Julian Amici.

People are not going to see the Rifts movie to learn about RIFTS, theres no need to try and draw them in and explain everything.

True that you don't have to explain everything, but there is a lot that needs an expination for the average movie-goer to understand what is going on.

Some things, like high-tech stuff and magic don't need an explination, demonstration is all that need be. For something like a Jucer, an expination would be required. Just having some neat effect showing off a Juicer's speed is just confusing as an unfamiliar audience member would have no frame of refrence to tell them why this particular person can do what they do. Psyonics folow the same line. Once magic has been established thru demonstration, one must explain why other people can do things that don't count as magic. It becomes confusing without the explination.

Just look at the 2 diffrent versions of Dune. In the David Lynch film, the powers of the Benegesrit were unequivically demonstrated to be psychic with a single sentence, "I want full telepathy...". In the minni-series, which was much closer to the book, the only thing of the Sisterhood shown was the "Voice", which went without explination (demonsterative effect worked here), but the Benegesrit just appeared to be a bunch of mean nuns that could make you do what they wanted for some reason. The lack of any coherent explination as to the nature of the Sisterhood's extreem mind-over-body powers made Jessica's changing of the water of life to be a bit confusing (in the Lynch version, it was easy to just assume psyonics was how it was done).

It's far easier to suspend belief when a story goes so far from the familiar as it does with such films as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but Rifts Earth is close to home, it's not that far off in the future, so the standard for belief suspension goes way up.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:38 am

Hero

RIFTS ... The Rise of Chi-Town!

go back to the origins of Chi Town and have a young idealistic Proseck as the main character ... not as the current leader he is but as a young man with a vision and show how he got to where he currently is (or was rather).

One book to rule them all. One book to find them. One book to bring them all and in the Megaverse bind them.

As you sit down with your players and start to unfold your story, remember one thing: plot never survives contact with players.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:53 am

Wanderer

Location: Trappped in Limbo, kicking back with the Old Ones (aka Launceston, Tasmania, Australia)
Dont know about main character but it I think it wouldn't be Rifts without the following:

Dead boys and Glittterboys, pure iconic symbols for the setting.
A Juicer/Crazy/Borg to show how far people will go to survive in this world.
A Scholar/Scout for the more human side of survival.
Any Magic/Psychic just for the weirdness that is Rifts
Anything that most people wouldnt see as a heroic charater but who is emotionally more human than the rest (Dragon, minor demon, struggling against their nature vampire, etc.)
And of course lots of energy weaponry and giant robots in the background.

And thats just from Rifts itself. There is the whole Megaverse to choose from for minor charaters.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:07 am

D-Bee

I like Epics idea it would show the origens of the world. or you could even go with the lone star comic by Preze. as well as the sige on tolkeen

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:34 pm

D-Bee

not a scholar, that would put the crosshairs on erin tarn again. and nobody wants that. i say a human female city rat from chi-town that is actually either a mage or some other outlaw that is trying to undermine the coalition. my personal preference for the occ would be a changeling. or is that an rcc? i cant remember. anyway, thats my thought's on the matter.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:31 pm

D-Bee

I think the main character should be a burster. I think it should be someone who otherwise is normal, but something awful happens to their community (by the CS or anyone else) and he or she survives through their awesome pyrokinetic abilities. And then have the character deal with and learn how to use their abilities whether with the Coalition Psi-Squad, a group of normal adventurers, or Psyscape I think it'd be great.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:22 am

Dungeon Crawler

Start out with the classic raspy voiced lady that does all the intros to the fantasy and sci-fi movies tell the story of what happened the day the rifts opened. From there show people gaining power and going nuts cause they don't know what to do. The hell with having one main character, rifts is so big that its an everybody matters kinda story anyway. Futher on down the road though they've got to make it to "Center" but that could be another movie in and of itself. All I know is that I don't feel a character is properly developed untill they've made it to center, then they have a propper grasp of the situations at hand.

At Gravitus Everlast's Used Ship Emporium, we've got enough ships to choke a camel! Don't know what a camel is? Well come on down and you can choke one yourself! And complimentary BBQ Chicken! Don't know what a chicken is? Well come on down and you can choke one of them too!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:55 pm

D-Bee

I think it would be interesting to do it on the seige on tolkeen with a little world history before it and shoot it a little arty be doing it through the eyes of a CS grunt, A Ley Line Walker, and A Cyber-Knight that didn't fight for tolkeen that way it would leave room for people do deceit who they think was in the right, and who to root for.

Post subject: Juicer
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:44 am

D-Bee

I think that if you're gonna focus on one character, then it might want to be a Juicer. That will show how far people are willing to go to survive; make his hometown disappear by the Coalition, that creates hate and vengeance for the kid. On the road to what he needs to do, he can then meet all of the other main characters that would give the movie atmospere. Glitter Boys, Headhunters, Scholars, Ley Line Walkers, Psychics...hell, some of them might want to join him on his path. And to put Tarn in the picture, have her narrate the movie, at least the beginning. I'm not sure who would be good for the voice, but i'm sure you all could think of someone. And as for the actors, make most of them relative unknowns, kind of like what they did with Mortal Kombat. Add a couple of older actors, like Jeffrey Lions or something, you know, one that the public would recognize,but wouldn't hog the screen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:02 pm

Knight

The Star should be a Glitterboy Pilot for many reasons. It is what inspired RIFTS afterall.

A Man, a Down and Out sort (Might be a vagabond) used to be a Glitterboy Pilot. He lost his GB in a battle years ago trying to defend a village from Demons or the CS (either would work).
He gets involved with Merc Soldier, a Robot Vehicle Pilot and a few eggheads types.

Towards the end of the movie they come across a place with a "new" Glitterboy in storage. For whatever reason he has not told them about his old life...(he might be ashamed of his failure).
The Group is attacked by whoever...
...Just when it seems they are lost the GB Pilot jumps into the GB and tears up the enemy. The RV Pilot can comment on how it requires special training to use one of those like that...We see the GB doing very cinematic attacks (Jump Kicks, Puches, and Thows). Then when the close enemies are taken out, the GB Pilot diggs in and Fires the Boomgun, tearing into the enemy at a distance over and over again. When he stops shooting the BG is red Hot but cools fast...
At least one arm on the GB should look torn up though after the battle...

:D

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:42 pm

D-Bee

It should be the Emperor of C.S.

That could be interesting.

(Under Siege II)