Would you want to have a conlang in a Rift's movie?

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Yes
21%
No
14%
Don't care, just hope the movie actually happens someday.
64%

Total votes: 14

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

A conlang is a constructed language Like Klingon, Dothraki, the Navi's language, and a handful of others.

Would you want one in the Rift's movie?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: Would you want to have a conlang in a Rift's movie?

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Thinyser wrote:A conlang is a constructed language Like Klingon, Dothraki, the Navi's language, and a handful of others.

No.

I don't think, and have never thought, that so-called conlangs are all that useful, except to the most hardcore of the hardcore fan.

Let them just have any aliens they come across speak either fluent English or Fluent Gobbledygook (made up of fictional barely intelligible sounds like grunts and clicks and squeaks and what-not).

And have all the magic-users speak in Latin, the language of choice for mystical phenomena and high-powered spellcasting. :P ;) :lol:
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

cornholioprime wrote:I don't think, and have never thought, that so-called conlangs are all that useful, except to the most hardcore of the hardcore fan.
Agreed. Useful, not at all. However I don't think that they would be a distraction either though. It would add internal consistency and not take anything away from the end product.

Let them just have any aliens they come across speak either fluent English or Fluent Gobbledygook (made up of fictional barely intelligible sounds like grunts and clicks and squeaks and what-not).
I don't mind sci-fi with fluent english speaking aliens (mainly because I just really hate subtitles) but I would prefer a conlang over gobbledygook.

And have all the magic-users speak in Latin, the language of choice for mystical phenomena and high-powered spellcasting. :P ;) :lol:
That is a must. :lol:
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

cornholioprime wrote:
Thinyser wrote:A conlang is a constructed language Like Klingon, Dothraki, the Navi's language, and a handful of others.

No.

I don't think, and have never thought, that so-called conlangs are all that useful, except to the most hardcore of the hardcore fan.

No, spellcasting should be done in Gaelic.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Fenris2020 wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:

No.

No, spellcasting should be done in Gaelic.

French Créole or bust.

Return to “Rifts® Movie”