How I would start a RIFTS movie franchise

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Looonatic
Adventurer

How I would start a RIFTS movie franchise

Unread post by Looonatic »

If I were to do a RIFTS movie, with the hopes of tantalizing audiences with the beginnings of a deeper setting in order to build on it in later movies, I would start with a single character.

I wrote a short story about five years ago for my own amusement based on a few of my own life experiences and personal interests( I write what I know.). The protagonist was a modern day US Navy petty officer on an aircraft carrier that along with about a dozen other sailors vanishes in a freak storm while in the Caribbean Sea(Bermuda Triangle). On the same day, several hours later, the sky rips open and deposits a demonic monster on the flight deck of the carrier and it proceeds to do what demons do best:kill indiscriminately, intimidate, demand worship and generally cause trouble. A few minutes later, a figure in armor riding a hovercycle zooms out of the same rift and proceeds to battle the demon with blazing shafts of energy wielded in each hand; saving many lives and possibly the entire ship. He calls himself a Cyber-knight and reveals himself to be the same young petty officer that vanished only hours earlier. But to him, nine years have passed.

I intended to write more, possibly a novel. I intended to set it in modern Earth and extend the adventures of a RIFTS cyber-knight in modern Earth. That might make for interesting movie ideas. But once such a character is introduced, telling tales of another post-apocalyptic Earth filled with chaos, horrors and fascist regimes, he would be a great central hero to explore RIFTS Earth in future movies.

That's my idea. :)
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Re: How I would start a RIFTS movie franchise

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

That sounds like something straight from the 80's bro. Don't take this as bashing, because I think the idea sounds cool. BUT... Hollywood would bust a nut on this because with any setting that sheep won't understand, Hollywood tries to tie it to modern day so sheep can identify with the story and in turn spend money. Examples. Beastmaster 2, Trancers, Masters of the Universe, Terminator, Critters, I Come In Peace, Star Trek 4, Highlander 2 (Rogue Version), Howard the Duck... I mean, the list goes on. You have settings that have their own stories that are creative, apocalyptic future societies, outer space, alternate dimensions, planets full of duck people. But instead, Hollywood drags them back in time, across dimensions or reality and films the movie in Southern California... For me, it's a huge rip off.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Re: How I would start a RIFTS movie franchise

Unread post by Juce734 »

Looonatic wrote:If I were to do a RIFTS movie, with the hopes of tantalizing audiences with the beginnings of a deeper setting in order to build on it in later movies, I would start with a single character.

I wrote a short story about five years ago for my own amusement based on a few of my own life experiences and personal interests( I write what I know.). The protagonist was a modern day US Navy petty officer on an aircraft carrier that along with about a dozen other sailors vanishes in a freak storm while in the Caribbean Sea(Bermuda Triangle). On the same day, several hours later, the sky rips open and deposits a demonic monster on the flight deck of the carrier and it proceeds to do what demons do best:kill indiscriminately, intimidate, demand worship and generally cause trouble. A few minutes later, a figure in armor riding a hovercycle zooms out of the same rift and proceeds to battle the demon with blazing shafts of energy wielded in each hand; saving many lives and possibly the entire ship. He calls himself a Cyber-knight and reveals himself to be the same young petty officer that vanished only hours earlier. But to him, nine years have passed.

I intended to write more, possibly a novel. I intended to set it in modern Earth and extend the adventures of a RIFTS cyber-knight in modern Earth. That might make for interesting movie ideas. But once such a character is introduced, telling tales of another post-apocalyptic Earth filled with chaos, horrors and fascist regimes, he would be a great central hero to explore RIFTS Earth in future movies.

That's my idea. :)

This sounds like it could be a fantastic book. You should write this and submit it to Palladium for the Rifter or to be made into a book published by Palladium. I'd pick it up probably.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree

Return to “Rifts® Movie”