Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Post subject: RIfts MMORPG
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:12 pm

D-Bee

I know that the idea of mmorpgs taking over the pen and paper games is a touch ysubject for some people especially rifts fans but there is a lot of potential in it. I think that if we as players layout an idea of what we want before a big company can put there hands on it we will produce a quality game that wont fall short like SWG did and how WOW became too cartoony. I'll lay out some of my base ideas for the game and than ask that everyone in the forum lay out what they think will be best such as class abilities and racial abilities. Keep in mind that if this is going to fly at all we need to keep to the core of rifts which means we cant bring in our own classess or races lets try to stick to thebooks to keep the environment as RIFTS like as possible.

I think that the world should be large and start off based in north america. There should be several factions based off the power houses in the country. Not just 2 sides like other games. My suggestions are Coalition States of course, Dweomer, Free Quebec and Lord Dunscons Federation of magic. Each faction should have 4 to five classes with unique and varied abilities. The only problem is i dont see where psionics will fit into the fold but with psyscape being hidden there are no real psionic powerhouse places unless we replace one of the existing factions or just add psyscape.

Class ideas

CS Dweomer Psyscape Free Quebec L.D. Fed.Mag.
CS Grunt Battle Magus Burster Glitter Boy Shifter
Dog Boy Ley Line Walker Mind Melter Quebec Scout Leyline walker
Psi-Stalker Warlock (obvious talent trees) Psi-warrior Glitter Girl Dragon Hatchling
SAMAS Controller(automaton pet) Zapper Rogue scientist Techno Wizard
Juicer High Magus Psi-tech juicer warlock

These are by no means the only option please suggest swapping out and completely replacing these locations and classes. What i think is as lsong as we do the hard work of designing it all the game company has to do is put to the system.

Races- here is one of the hard parts is trying to determine race for the coalition it is pretty easy dogboy and humans. For the dragon thats easy too.

Humans- most common for players what should the bonuses be.
D-bees- for the b-bees maybe just customization screen that has multiple settings how do you determine bonuses.
Please give a list of races that would be desired and couldbe practical.

Post subject: Re: RIfts MMORPG
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:45 am

D-Bee

This topic has been on these boards countless times. I believe taking Rifts to MMORPG would not do the game justice. Simply because MMORPG's demand balance... like it or not it does. Rifts is simply not balanced what so ever, which is what makes the game what it is.

I've always suggested an expansive RPG, kind of like Morrowind/Oblivion except with multi-player capabilities. Mod-able, like Morrowind but in a futuristic setting like Fallout. Kind of like Battle.net, have a graphical chat/waiting area for people to do pvp if they wanted or just stand around and dance (kind of like Guildwars), and look for groups/team mates to join a game with.

This way, you could have many more races and classes than an MMORPG would.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:07 pm

D-Bee

My suggestion is all the classes in the main book when the games starts out, Then with each expansion you can add the additional books as expansions which would turn out a huge profit and years and years to come of gaming. Thats how Ever quest 1 was, I am a MMO hardcore player( over 13 years now) and I have been playing palladium games since you guys only had the main book palladium fantasy back in 1983 or 84 when it was just the book back as well my group called it. Rifts has such a enormous money in it. as long as you don't sell the wrights away you guys will have so much money it wouldn't be funny. Look at world of warcraft for instance they only had a stuff of 50 people for the first 3 years of that games existence and had 7 million players on a monthly subscription of 16 bucks each account that equals 112 million a month and the over head was crap. Honestly there trying to create there star craft in to an MMO and my suggestion is get Rifts going as fast as possible. main book core of the game and build from there stay within America for the first 8-12 months and have an expansion every 6 months after that. You can have groups 6-8 man ( hence to be like table top) do quest in Chitown or any where in America. Some minor things of course would be free like small expansions like if you add psyscape where Tolken is huge so that would be a toss up if you wanted to add some content and the rest a buy able expansion. If you want to even hire me as a consultant I'm up for it. I'm taking my BA in network administration/Server based and web design for creation of games Just started so it would take me a year to get all the skills I would need. I am serious about assisting in this venture.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:00 am

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: 20+ year gamer and Army Veteran. I work in the defense industry designing and developing simulation software. An old school gamer who thinks trading card games are the devil and WotC is the Anti-Christ.
The main issue with an MMORPG is that, by it's very nature, denies the fluidity that most campaigns require. I honetly don't think that it would do the game justice and wouldn't really be in keeping with the spirit of it.

Not to mention the sheer scale of effort that an MMORPG requires. It's a romantic idea to be sure, but not a realistic one.

That being said, a Rifts game that keeps things in the hands of the players might be more reasonable. I've been doing some work on a proof of concept in my spare time and while I can't go into details, I am looking for help!

This thread is a good read I think. Its specific to the MMOG topic and has a lot of good 'meat' - particularly the bottom half. -> viewtopic.php?f=51&t=75599&start=50

:bandit:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:35 am

Explorer

Comment: Friendly Fire™
"Combat With a Smile"
A Ensite Para-Military Corperation
Torngesis wrote:
My suggestion is all the classes in the main book when the games starts out, Then with each expansion you can add the additional books as expansions which would turn out a huge profit and years and years to come of gaming. Thats how Ever quest 1 was, I am a MMO hardcore player( over 13 years now) and I have been playing palladium games since you guys only had the main book palladium fantasy back in 1983 or 84 when it was just the book back as well my group called it. Rifts has such a enormous money in it. as long as you don't sell the wrights away you guys will have so much money it wouldn't be funny. Look at world of warcraft for instance they only had a stuff of 50 people for the first 3 years of that games existence and had 7 million players on a monthly subscription of 16 bucks each account that equals 112 million a month and the over head was crap. Honestly there trying to create there star craft in to an MMO and my suggestion is get Rifts going as fast as possible. main book core of the game and build from there stay within America for the first 8-12 months and have an expansion every 6 months after that. You can have groups 6-8 man ( hence to be like table top) do quest in Chitown or any where in America. Some minor things of course would be free like small expansions like if you add psyscape where Tolken is huge so that would be a toss up if you wanted to add some content and the rest a buy able expansion. If you want to even hire me as a consultant I'm up for it. I'm taking my BA in network administration/Server based and web design for creation of games Just started so it would take me a year to get all the skills I would need. I am serious about assisting in this venture.

I am currently working on the idea of a Table Top MMorpg of palladium not just rifts but palladium as a whole. I am not able to discuss specifics on forums for copyright infringment yet I am a man with a team I am putting together the funding is out there for the grabing. if more people though like the OP and you I could work faster and possibility give mroe details I have a post trying to get a dedicated fan base for a Palladium MMORPG. once I see there si a dedicated fan base and after talks with licensing I can start making mroe posts and get people connected and discuss other topics liek donating time efforts, royalities etc etc but for now since there is no offical game I am asking for the fans who want to see this type of game please post also on my topic so I can show palladium and licening that there si a dedicated fan base with in thier own community.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:03 pm

D-Bee

Lets try and keep in contact my AIM TheDarkMassieh and my email is Koramath@hotmail.com you can eply to this thread and for more private conversation use the screen name or email.
thedrunk wrote:
Torngesis wrote:

I am currently working on the idea of a Table Top MMorpg of palladium not just rifts but palladium as a whole. I am not able to discuss specifics on forums for copyright infringment yet I am a man with a team I am putting together the funding is out there for the grabing. if more people though like the OP and you I could work faster and possibility give mroe details I have a post trying to get a dedicated fan base for a Palladium MMORPG. once I see there si a dedicated fan base and after talks with licensing I can start making mroe posts and get people connected and discuss other topics liek donating time efforts, royalities etc etc but for now since there is no offical game I am asking for the fans who want to see this type of game please post also on my topic so I can show palladium and licening that there si a dedicated fan base with in thier own community.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:36 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: 20+ year gamer and Army Veteran. I work in the defense industry designing and developing simulation software. An old school gamer who thinks trading card games are the devil and WotC is the Anti-Christ.
Well, if you need advice or maybe a little code here and there I'll lend a hand, but I've been in the Biz and worked on an MMO Project and what you're talking about is the single most ambitious, difficult, expensive and complicated projects in game development.

In the words of Jason Hall (Now the CEO of Monolith) whom I had an opportunity to speak to at GDC 03, "You're going to have a lot of 'ComeTo Jesus' moments." What that means is that it's not going to be easy and there are going to be a lot of obstacles in your way. I commend your gusto - it reminds me of myself in many ways. But let me be honest and straightforward without trying to be a killjoy: Its a very naive assumption to believe that you can create an MMO, from scratch within four years without a team of professional developers and staff. Even licensing middleware, there is significant lead-in time required to get your team up to speed on the technology you're using. I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that it's gonna be a lot harder than you think.

That being said, again, if you need help - let me know and I'll do what I can to help you.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:59 am

Explorer

"Combat With a Smile"
Falconi wrote:
Well, if you need advice or maybe a little code here and there I'll lend a hand, but I've been in the Biz and worked on an MMO Project and what you're talking about is the single most ambitious, difficult, expensive and complicated projects in game development.

In the words of Jason Hall (Now the CEO of Monolith) whom I had an opportunity to speak to at GDC 03, "You're going to have a lot of 'ComeTo Jesus' moments." What that means is that it's not going to be easy and there are going to be a lot of obstacles in your way. I commend your gusto - it reminds me of myself in many ways. But let me be honest and straightforward without trying to be a killjoy: Its a very naive assumption to believe that you can create an MMO, from scratch within four years without a team of professional developers and staff. Even licensing middleware, there is significant lead-in time required to get your team up to speed on the technology you're using. I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that it's gonna be a lot harder than you think.

That being said, again, if you need help - let me know and I'll do what I can to help you.
This I am aware but if I finaily get the go ahead 60% of my work is cut otu fro me because palladium already has the majority of material in book. I have a few ideas abotu engine and Ai capabilities and have reaserched some possible ones that will do it good. but all help is aperaciated and welcomed PM me for a way to keep contact and I will give u my e mail and yahoo which i use a lto more then forums

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Dungeon Crawler

60% of the work of any game development isn't documentation, which is essentially what the game books are.

Lets take an example: The Wilks 320 Laser Pistol. You have the basic stats of this weapon in the game book: it does 1d6MD damage, has a range of 1000 ft, has 20 shots and gives a +2 strike bonus. It even gives you a little picture of the weapon. This represents statistical information about the weapon. Now, what does it take to get this from paper into your game? Lets assume you already have a graphics engine, networking layer and basic physics engine built:

You need to create a 3D model of the weapon, generate a texture map, build it's physical bounds for use with things like collision or model mounting, and add any sort of special effects gizmos like animations, particle emitters etc. Create the texture of the weapon. Create particle textures. Export the finished model into whatever format your game engine requires.

Thats just to create the model. Now you have to go about the work of writing game logic to handle playing your animation when the weapon fires, attaching the weapon to a player model, implement an inventory system that will track how many of these your player has as well as track how many shots the weapon itself has. Implement a raycasting method to draw lines from the muzzle of the weapon to wherever your crosshair points (There's the trigonometry involved here to determine the intersection of the ray to where the crosshair is, since your crosshair is at eye level and not at the muzzle of your weapon). Now register collision callbacks and filters between your ray and all the things the ray can intersect. Write code to deal with this collision (Do damage, reflect or whatever). Implement a system design to take into account things like strike bonuses, dodge bonuses, armor, health etc. Now, implement the code to transmit all this data across a network connection to let anyone else connected to the game see that you're shooting.

Thats just a *very* rough gloss. This probably isn't a surprise to you if you've done any sort of research at all about game development. However, to say that 60% of your work is cut out for you because you have game books is a gross underestimation of the sheer magnitude of the work you're undertaking.

I'll PM you and we can talk more, and I don't want to poo poo your enthusiasm because that is incredibly important to have on any project, but to be quite frank you need a shot of reality because without it, you'll quickly find yourself overwhelmed with everything that needs to get done and just how much work you have ahead of you.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 am

D-Bee

all i have to say is that if World of warcraft did it with 50(20 programers the rest administraive staff) people the entire company for 3 years till they sold themselves to activsion/atari. it was ok when it came out same for this idea. Create chi town and the coalition first and the area around it burbsetc,... and the d-Bees in the area and let me see mm humans thats not hard and grow the game from there writing the program and doing the enviroment graphics. How the models/players wll enter act. it took them an idea from a table top dungeons and dragons game to video game 1 year of testing creating etc.. I know i was on the beta and alpha test of world of warcraft, and EQ1 and EQ2 so i can see it will be tough but if people lik emyself band together we CAN do this no matter what things people say. I myself have always wanted to create an MMO based on palladium itself when it was just the black book as well called it. I myself wrote some cheesy d & D games for myself and friends on C++ years ago. I think wrighht now its an idea by next year it will be a plan on the table looking for funding and some basic tatorial as an interoduction for the game.my thing is the concept is it going to be similiar to balduers gate as 3rd person MMO or like a normal MMO ( world of warcraft, city of heros, perfect world, s4 League) Yes i play alot of MMO games most of them free. If there are people willing to do this make contact with me. In the next year or so I have a law suit I am willing to pour 50k to 100k in to this venture. I can also purchase software very low hence Maya suit cost over 6,000 dollars I can buy it through my school for 500 bucks we all have the resources you just nee dto look and have the heart of a Role player... as i always say this world needs more dreams and less thinkers, thinkers over think and destory what dreams have and thats the spark of creativity and life of imagination. I also have seen serveral MMOs that only cost companis that are mall 45 thousand to create and sell items in game to make money. S4League, world of kungfu and a perfect world are examples of what I want to do for rifts and the entire palladium system in the end. sometimes give a free patch opening up sections of the land like first chitown then move to the states around it, then sell an expansion via download hence Anarchy online is another example of this. in expanions add levels and skills a new race(s) and classes, powers etc.. go try one of the free MMOs trust me it can be kept true to the table top game or close as possible because its role players creating it not programs that are being told hey you make this color it like that...we the few with the passion can do this. next month I am going to start buying the software bundle by bundle at least once every other month depending on how much it is. If i have to go it alone in my spare time to creat an enviroment and models and show it to kevin and his team and see if they give me permission to do it I will. Remember you can reach for the sky if you dont allow the glass ceiling to stop you........ I am not being stopped.

Falconi wrote:
The main issue with an MMORPG is that, by it's very nature, denies the fluidity that most campaigns require. I honetly don't think that it would do the game justice and wouldn't really be in keeping with the spirit of it.

Not to mention the sheer scale of effort that an MMORPG requires. It's a romantic idea to be sure, but not a realistic one.

That being said, a Rifts game that keeps things in the hands of the players might be more reasonable. I've been doing some work on a proof of concept in my spare time and while I can't go into details, I am looking for help!

This thread is a good read I think. Its specific to the MMOG topic and has a lot of good 'meat' - particularly the bottom half. -> viewtopic.php?f=51&t=75599&start=50

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:31 am

D-Bee

OK have you play vampire the masquearde it has a Storyteller mode/GM which can be added for people to make up there own campaigns and games via MMO. then it can be intergraded in to the rest of the game. hence if you feel you character is too weak for the MMO world itself you can play in some small side games of people gain xp that way then enter the world itself. Hence haveing limit to gear so if a gm makes some gear up of course we will have a limit to creating items. so GMs can have fun making gear up within the limits of the game system.
Torngesis wrote:
all i have to say is that if World of warcraft did it with 50(20 programers the rest administraive staff) people the entire company for 3 years till they sold themselves to activsion/atari. it was ok when it came out same for this idea. Create chi town and the coalition first and the area around it burbsetc,... and the d-Bees in the area and let me see mm humans thats not hard and grow the game from there writing the program and doing the enviroment graphics. How the models/players wll enter act. it took them an idea from a table top dungeons and dragons game to video game 1 year of testing creating etc.. I know i was on the beta and alpha test of world of warcraft, and EQ1 and EQ2 so i can see it will be tough but if people lik emyself band together we CAN do this no matter what things people say. I myself have always wanted to create an MMO based on palladium itself when it was just the black book as well called it. I myself wrote some cheesy d & D games for myself and friends on C++ years ago. I think wrighht now its an idea by next year it will be a plan on the table looking for funding and some basic tatorial as an interoduction for the game.my thing is the concept is it going to be similiar to balduers gate as 3rd person MMO or like a normal MMO ( world of warcraft, city of heros, perfect world, s4 League) Yes i play alot of MMO games most of them free. If there are people willing to do this make contact with me. In the next year or so I have a law suit I am willing to pour 50k to 100k in to this venture. I can also purchase software very low hence Maya suit cost over 6,000 dollars I can buy it through my school for 500 bucks we all have the resources you just nee dto look and have the heart of a Role player... as i always say this world needs more dreams and less thinkers, thinkers over think and destory what dreams have and thats the spark of creativity and life of imagination. I also have seen serveral MMOs that only cost companis that are mall 45 thousand to create and sell items in game to make money. S4League, world of kungfu and a perfect world are examples of what I want to do for rifts and the entire palladium system in the end. sometimes give a free patch opening up sections of the land like first chitown then move to the states around it, then sell an expansion via download hence Anarchy online is another example of this. in expanions add levels and skills a new race(s) and classes, powers etc.. go try one of the free MMOs trust me it can be kept true to the table top game or close as possible because its role players creating it not programs that are being told hey you make this color it like that...we the few with the passion can do this. next month I am going to start buying the software bundle by bundle at least once every other month depending on how much it is. If i have to go it alone in my spare time to creat an enviroment and models and show it to kevin and his team and see if they give me permission to do it I will. Remember you can reach for the sky if you dont allow the glass ceiling to stop you........ I am not being stopped.

Falconi wrote:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:38 am

Dungeon Crawler

Torngesis wrote:
all i have to say is that if World of warcraft did it with 50(20 programers the rest administraive staff) people the entire company for 3 years till they sold themselves to activsion/atari.

:shock:

Well, I can't say how many people Blizzard had on staff for the development of World of Warcraft, but the way you're making this sound is like it was a bunch of kids with a dream cranking something out by the seat of their pants. Untrue. Blizzard already had several titles published including, um, Warcraft (From which the MMO was based), all the Warcraft sequals, Starcraft and all those various expansions, Diablo.. Blizzard was a very successful game company with products that had gained world-wide reknown and popularity. And it took them more than 3 years to develop and release Wow. (See the section on Development ->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft)

Look, I'm not saying it can't be done, what I am saying is that you have to *really* think it about the ramifications of an MMO. I just really don't think it's a good fit. Baldurs Gate sorta game, yes! Multiplayer, yes! Massively Multiplayer - no way Jose! Not unless you want the Rifts world to be chopped up in the marketing machine: Keep it PG-13, no persistance (We raided Chi-Town last week and killed Prosek - and we're gonna do it again tomorrow), watered down content.. these are the things that MMO's do. A Rifts MMO with pipe dream features that I keep reading on these boards would be like me saying, "Alright - I'm gonna run a Rifts game and I want you and ten thousand of your friends to play." There just isn't enough manpower to provide a living, breathing world without automating as much of it as you can. And automation means zero imagination.

If you want to remain true to the spirit of the game, then you build a small-scale game and leave the world and the imagination in the hands of the GM's and players. If you want to make money, then you build an MMO that any button-mashing monkey can play and pay for.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:14 am

D-Bee

Never Happen..as stated before the balancing issue, too much "stuff" and well doesn't have the audience to keep an mmo going... i mean 3-500k players is a success, and are there really that many people that would pay $15 a month to play it?

Unread postPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 am

Champion

Comment: Only the insecure put on airs of elitism
melanieshaman wrote:
Never Happen..as stated before the balancing issue, too much "stuff" and well doesn't have the audience to keep an mmo going... i mean 3-500k players is a success, and are there really that many people that would pay $15 a month to play it?

Not even close.

It's amazing how people refuse to see that a written rule isn't the same as a good one. Then again, complacency is the new ignorance.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 am

Explorer

"Combat With a Smile"
melanieshaman wrote:

There are a lot more, my reaserch has proven that if the interface, gameplay, and features are stimulating then there will be dedicated fans. if the audence you are trying to target are these "button Pushers" then no the game will never go anywhere, but if its about Role Playing and content then it will suceedand uterlly provide what gamers are wanting that the game develpers are not providing.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:27 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I was browsing through this and I had an idea: instead of an MMORPG, there could be a video game with the same tools as Neverwinter Nights, ect. A gamemaster could create their own worlds, campaigns, ect and run them online with other players. I suppose it would be like a Visual RIFTS, or some such...and given how intertwined the other games are, dimensionally and rules-wise, it might as well be a V-Megaverse or something. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Yes. Exactly!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:29 am

D-Bee

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com

This is how Rifts the game should be done!! Co-op, an open world, vehicles and weapon, armor, and vehicle customization.

-Injun

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:51 pm

D-Bee

thedrunk wrote:
melanieshaman wrote:

There are a lot more, my reaserch has proven that if the interface, gameplay, and features are stimulating then there will be dedicated fans. if the audence you are trying to target are these "button Pushers" then no the game will never go anywhere, but if its about Role Playing and content then it will suceedand uterlly provide what gamers are wanting that the game develpers are not providing.

really?...naw... sorry... people are cheaper than you think. I am curious where and how did you conduct this "research"? Unfortunately if a game is about 'role playing' it won't go anywhere... has to have content content content... sadly in my years of mmoing there are entirely too few rpers out there.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:54 am

Dungeon Crawler

Yeah, I'm ressurecting the thread. Sue me. =P

The reason why so few MMOs have actual roleplay in them is that the design of MMOs isn't suited well to roleplay. How do you ask someone what class and level they are in a roleplay context? It's not that important in a tabletop setting (where the GM makes sure things are balanced), but in an MMO, with random grouping, it's very important.

That's not even mentioning trying to roleplay *during* combat. You try to tell your group to flank right while you tank, and you get out "Flank right while I t--" and the thing has already killed your healer, while you sat there and watched, because typing + combat = one of them is not being done as well as it should be, if not both.

Furthermore, the very nature of an MMO destroys any sense of roleplay. That juicer you just killed? Yeah, he's back. And he has the exact same gear he did ten minutes ago. And the last three people you met? They killed him too. In fact, when there's not a lot of people around, there's a guy who kills him over and over because there's a quest to bring ten juicer harnesses to a cyberdoc and he'll give you 500 credits. He'll pay you over and over. He only needs ten, but he'll pay you for ten, twenty, thirty. Why? Beats me. But he seems thrilled each and every time you give him ten. Furthermore, everyone you know has done it at least once, so he's got to have thousands of them by now but, hey, another ten's always good, right?

So you put all these elements together, and MMOs are not conducive to roleplay. You *can* roleplay in an MMO, but you're doing it despite its architecture, not because of it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Agreed. The main issue is persistance. An MMO has no persistance and nothing you do has any effect on the world as a whole. Now granted that no video game can really 'simulate' a traditional RPG - they're just too vastly different - however I do think that you can inject the same sort of imagination and dynamics, it just needs to presented to players in a form they'll accept.

I've continued to advocate for the 'Self-Created' RPG games (Like Neverwinter Nights) that allow for players to create their own worlds and to allow for real changes to be made by players. To be really successful (IMHO), a game that is going to attempt to emulate a RPG must remain customizable and allow for the 'home-grown' feel.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Explorer

Comment: If you game anywhere in or around Salt Lake City, Utah meet us at www.meetup.com/SLCRifters/ or www.Rifters.org !
Injun wrote:
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com

This is how Rifts the game should be done!! Co-op, an open world, vehicles and weapon, armor, and vehicle customization.

-Injun

After checking out this link and game style... hell! I like it! And I'm not a big 1st person shooter player. This can be "one" great "avenue of approach" for Rifts and MMO.

I suggest people check out the site... it's not that big.

-Rifter6

http://www.meetup.com/SLCRifters/

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:37 pm

Explorer

Comment: If you game anywhere in or around Salt Lake City, Utah meet us at www.meetup.com/SLCRifters/ or www.Rifters.org !
Falconi wrote:
Agreed. The main issue is persistance. An MMO has no persistance and nothing you do has any effect on the world as a whole. Now granted that no video game can really 'simulate' a traditional RPG - they're just too vastly different - however I do think that you can inject the same sort of imagination and dynamics, it just needs to presented to players in a form they'll accept.

I've continued to advocate for the 'Self-Created' RPG games (Like Neverwinter Nights) that allow for players to create their own worlds and to allow for real changes to be made by players. To be really successful (IMHO), a game that is going to attempt to emulate a RPG must remain customizable and allow for the 'home-grown' feel.

Falconi, - coming from a fellow probably more recent Infantry vet who may've used your simulations - I completely agree that the NWN style with its ability to customize, play solo, but also get online and play in co-op, would be a killer Rifts PC Gamer product. It just needs better graphics (of course I understand high speed graphics gets harder as you try and make it 'modable' for players) and a more open ended style.

Speaking of open ended, my ALL TIME FAVORITE PC game is "Arcanum: of Steamworks & Magick Obscura" (http://www.amazon.com/Arcanum-Steamwork ... 459&sr=8-1)

I've still yet to find a game that provides the open ended diversity and character creation/development... although Oblivion comes close. With the PC game version, Rifts has 'got' to be open ended play with a large and incredibly diverse world to explore. Making tons of different 'story lines' for a player to 'fall' into or 'find' with add-ons to expand the world, story lines, and character options coming out each year. With the mod engine like NWN, players can really go to town! and even go into co-op mode battle.net style.

On the MMO front: I think it can be done successfully. Different MMO's have shown different ways of solving some of the RPG vs. MMO problems.
1) I do like the persistent world where you can keep running without having to wait for a new location to download. This is a good aspect of WoW. I don't like the Heroes vs. Villians MMO or Conan in this aspect.
2) Conan has about the right feel/grit to its artistry, game design.
3) "Warhammer Online" offsets the "grinding" experience a great deal. (ie, you can't go get that same 10 juicer harnesses over and over again). It moves the initial player from small to expansive experiences fairly nicely. It also offers group experience as people participate in large battles without having to be a part of a small "party".

I also think there's a way to handle the uneven power level that seems to be the most quoted problem with Rifts becoming an MMO. Like WoW (if I remember it correctly) you don't gain experience for whacking some creature about 5 or so levels below you... this discourages higher level characters/beings from engaging in combat with those who don't have a chance. Also, like "Oblivian" (yes, I know it's not an MMO) as characters level, they encounter creatures/enemies/missions/even story lines more in line with their power level even in the same locations. Missions and locations don't even open up to players until they're capable of handling them.
Also, players just may not be able to start out as a Mega-Jiucer or a Phantom or super powered MDC D-Bee. On the other hand, they could "become" a Mega Juicer as part of a 'class path' or at some particular level they've attained so long as they still meat the requirements (human, etc) and are willing to part with some of their prior abilities from their first class.

There's LOTs more to say about the Balance topic, but, suffice to say, I think it can be handled artfully.

-Rifter6

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Dungeon Crawler

*Salutes to Rifter6* Great to chat with a fellow vet - especially one that likes Rifts and video games! :D

I would have to agree with 90% or what you're saying, Rifter. I played a few of the games you've mentioned above (Particularly the MMO's - both Conan and WoW on only breifly City of Heros) and I think you're right about taking several aspects from them in terms of design and 'look and feel' and mashing them together. I'm not too keen on the MMO aspects though. I envision something similar, but not quite so 'massive'. Gameplay and the artistic value must be there. Customization and persistance is another need - something that is woefully absent from MMO's. What I have in my minds eye is where, out of the box you have several canned scenarios that serve two purposes. First, they serve as a way to quickly and easily start playing the game and to help players become familiar with the game rules and mechanics. Secondly, they act as a template from which to create your own content and serve as a sort of 'how-to' when building new scenarios for you and your players. I would imagine that the game should support many dozens of concurrent players - maybe hundreds depending on the hosts internet connection and hardware.

Overall there would be a bit more work involved on the part of the players to prepare their games and scenarios but I'm really of the mind that if you get into an MMO version of the game, you will begin to lose the feeling of really having an influence over the world and that you're more of a 'passenger' rather than a 'driver'. And - in the same vein that you mention with lots of new content - what better way to inject a ton of creativity and new material than to let the players themselves create it? Then you're biggest headache isn't that you don't have enough stuff to do/places to go - its that you have to sort through the amount of content that's actually available. Better too much than not enough methinks. :P

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Explorer

Falconi,

So, what you're describing sounds like a Rifts version of NWN.. not an MORG/MMO/MPORG.

Perhaps both would be fun and useful down the road. Any PC game would have to be similar to what you've described (basically the NWN format)... modable with lots of gamer developed content developed as time goes by... just like I can go to NWN website to browse through player developed "mods" ...and the Rifts PC game would want to "rate" the mods (1 star, 5 stars..etc) in similar fashion too.

The MMO would simply be another avenue for people to enjoy the Rifts world very visually. Like you mentioned, it would be relatively restricted compared to what many current Rifts fans are used to with the RPG, but it would gather a large audience and can provide considerable revenue and exposure to Palladium. Not all gamers are RPG gamers... lots of people like MMO's like WoW, Conan, Warhammer, etc... Rifts would simply be a totally baddass world with a lot of background and plot/story behind it... much better than the thin story and originality behind so many other MMO's.

And as I think about it, that's what I think would set a Rifts MMO apart to the general audience. The significantly deeper background to it and the diversity of characters/classes. We don't need all 5,000 different OCC's and RCC's in the MMO, but 50 would blow the socks off people. Like I said, a combination Warhammer Online (for the xp and group battle aspects) WoW (for the wide open world without download waits and community) and AoC (for the 'style').

Well them's my thoughts. To bad no game developer head hancho is checking the boards and reading this stuff... if they'd care, ey.

-Rifter6

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:35 am

Dungeon Crawler

You speak the truth, Rifter!

I suppose there is room for both types of games to be sure - both with their play styles and target audience. Just like there is Classic Warcraft for the Real Time Strategy buffs, and World of Warcraft for the MMO. Two different games with two different play styles that cater to two different markets. That way you don't compete against yourself but you still are able to massively advertise your company and products. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Explorer

Falconi wrote:

I suppose there is room for both types of games to be sure - both with their play styles and target audience. Just like there is Classic Warcraft for the Real Time Strategy buffs, and World of Warcraft for the MMO. Two different games with two different play styles that cater to two different markets. That way you don't compete against yourself but you still are able to massively advertise your company and products. :)

Right on! well.. now that we've 'solved' the Rifts MMO vs. PC argument, what's there to argue about any more. We just killed this thread. :eek: :mrgreen:

-Rifter6

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:18 am

Dungeon Crawler

:lol:

How 'bout them <insert popular sports team here>?

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Hero

Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!
Rifter6 wrote:
Falconi wrote:

Right on! well.. now that we've 'solved' the Rifts MMO vs. PC argument, what's there to argue about any more. We just killed this thread. :eek: :mrgreen:

-Rifter6

Should they put the -10 to dodge with no bonuses rule in? :p

"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 pm

Explorer

How about a Rifts RTS Game?... began new topic: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=107009

-Rifter6

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Dry and Simple. They've been approched by a few companies and turned them down. Unless Blizzard give them a few bill it isn't going to happen.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:20 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

Who has approached us and who have we turned down?

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Dungeon Crawler

AlexM wrote:
Who has approached us and who have we turned down?

Alex Marciniszyn

That was a quote from KS during the 2006 Open House VIP night when he took everyone to his office.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

Four years ago, we were approached by one company that expected us to foot the bill. Not what we're looking for. And similar.

To put that into context, we are sometimes contacted by people who cannot do the quality work we and our fans are looking for.

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Dungeon Crawler

You would be amazed at what "No name" Companies can produce.

CCP
Icarus Studios.

And in 2006 I did tried to setup a meeting with Someone from PB with Avni Yerli about a Rifts:FPS but was given the run around and then was told after Promise of Power KS didn't want to look at offers from other companies, can't remember who it was tho. I can dig around on the MMO forums and see if I can find it. Avni said he didn't have time to be waiting around as other projects had started flooding in. Crysis being one of them :(

However I still do have low level coder friends at CCP and Icarus, but they are very busy with thier Own MMO's Grossing on average $500,000 a month.

Pennies compared to Blizzard, nothing to sneeze at still. And both of those companies came from nothing.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:06 am

Dungeon Crawler

websitelink wrote:
CCP is about the only company right now I'd trust to pull it off.

OH HOOK LINE AND MOTHER EFFIN SINKER.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:18 am

Dungeon Crawler

AlexM wrote:
Four years ago, we were approached by one company that expected us to foot the bill. Not what we're looking for. And similar.

To put that into context, we are sometimes contacted by people who cannot do the quality work we and our fans are looking for.

Alex Marciniszyn

Wait, found it. 5 years ago you were approached by a company(Icarus Studios LLC) that wanted to do a profit share, but you wanted insane amounts of money to release the IP. You wouldn't even sell it, you would lease it and the rate would change depending on how Palladium Felt any given year. So instead they made Fallen Earth.

"The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland located around the American Grand Canyon. Fallen Earth's gameplay features FPS/RPG hybridization, first-person/third person views, 19 equipment slots, hundreds of items including improvised equipment and weapons, a real-time crafting system, various skills and abilities, factions and tactical PvP, all existing within 1000 square kilometers of usable terrain based on real-world topographical maps of the area."

100,000 and counting. @ $14.95 a month man thats a lot of money.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:01 am

D-Bee

Nomadic wrote:
AlexM wrote:

Alex Marciniszyn

Wait, found it. 5 years ago you were approached by a company(Icarus Studios LLC) that wanted to do a profit share, but you wanted insane amounts of money to release the IP. You wouldn't even sell it, you would lease it and the rate would change depending on how Palladium Felt any given year. So instead they made Fallen Earth.

"The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland located around the American Grand Canyon. Fallen Earth's gameplay features FPS/RPG hybridization, first-person/third person views, 19 equipment slots, hundreds of items including improvised equipment and weapons, a real-time crafting system, various skills and abilities, factions and tactical PvP, all existing within 1000 square kilometers of usable terrain based on real-world topographical maps of the area."

100,000 and counting. @ $14.95 a month man thats a lot of money.

Yeah but the problem there is fallen earth SUCKS. I WON a month of the game and all that and after the 'trail' I havent had ANY desire to go back.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Dungeon Crawler

you are entitled to your opinion, like ******** everyones got one.

but 1.45 Million a MONTH is a lot of cash for a company that is the size of PB. and Has Server Side cost of about 100k a month

Last edited by Nomadic on Fri May 28, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Wanderer

Wouldn't play it myself.

I like Pen and Paper RPGs because I am not bound by the barriers of the Programmers mind.

To each their own. The sadness I felt when I realized I couldn't slay small Horde children in WoW.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Dungeon Crawler

MillionDollarHatGuy wrote:
Wouldn't play it myself.

I like Pen and Paper RPGs because I am not bound by the barriers of the Programmers mind.

To each their own. The sadness I felt when I realized I couldn't slay small Horde children in WoW.

It's not perfect, but i'd rather have both. Esp if it were NeverWinterNights style so Gm's could make campaigns for character to go thru.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:58 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Ruadh gu brath
I don't play the "pay-to-play" MMOs. It had either be totally free, or a one-time cost(like GuildWars).

Unread postPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:14 am

Dungeon Crawler

The problem is, there are no good free MMOs. GuildWars is dull, DDO is excruciating. Item Mall games aren't free in any sense, unless you like the idea of an unlimited time demo. I've never been able to play a free MMO without wanting to gouge out my eyes with spoons and put a rusty spike through my head. But I just got the 66 month veteran reward for City of Heroes. Like was said, to each their own.

On another note, NWN isn't an MMO, or even close, and you'll never see a MMO where you can make your own missions, unless it's a gimmicky side idea like City of Heroes' Architect system.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Champion

A bit late to the discussion it seems, but in short;

It would be a horrific mess. Keep it in books where it's meant to be. I still don't get all this Movie nonsense, given any big named director it'd just end up like the Crystal Skull or Attack of the Clones and would just make people cry and lose any connection they had with the original source. Focus on what it does best, not try to do everything.

Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 pm

D-Bee

play Tabula Rasa.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:29 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Traska said:

On another note, NWN isn't an MMO, or even close, and you'll never see a MMO where you can make your own missions, unless it's a gimmicky side idea like City of Heroes' Architect system.

This is not true.

SWG has a story teller function which allows individuals in the to purchase prop items such as X-wings, Tie Fighters, R2 units, storm troopers and rancors, etc... and attatch verbal messages to these units and movement A.I. as well as agression levels and BOSS titles that turn them into elites and level. They also allow you to leave these itmes in the game world as realtime antagonists that will remain in place even when you are not there. You can even stay there and interact with other gamers who show up and help explain what is happening and why the chaos is there on top of the Scripted NPCs you've already planted ( You can throw in smoke, lighting efffects and even Rebel and Imperial bombers arial fights and bombing runs and fly bys or imperial shuttle landings etc...). Placing stuff can even be done when people arrive. If that isn't enough the new story master addition allows players to collect crystal shards that can be made into tokens that can be made into scripted missions usinga mission editor and collected tokens! ou write the mission and tell say what has to be done. It ranges from deliveries to races, to collection and to assassination etc... to any planet in the galzxies and in any combination you want!

They have easily doubled the content that has been discussed previously, infact there are so many weapons and equipment, clothing and armour items, vehicals and pet mounts ( Make your own), that it's mind boggling. Infact, I am a firm believer, as are many who have played that it is hard to beat. Sorry to sound like a salesman for SWG, but I have mentioned before I dream of a Rifts game with wide open dimensional environments constructed in the same way as galaxies beutifully constructed worlds, such as Chi Town and area, Atlantis, Phaseworld, Worm wood, Hades and Dyval. Its easilly one of the best looking games out there as well and its using tech almost 8 years old now.

I do agree with the statement that the free MMO's aren't worth playing. I'd shell out cash for quality.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad11 ... ot0326.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad11 ... ot0311.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad11 ... ot0378.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad11 ... ot0386.jpg

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:23 pm

D-Bee

I do think it would be possible to do a Rifts MMO and worthwhile if done right but there lies the rub, doing it right.

As others have stated MMOs and Tabletop games are just fundamentally different, it's possible to roleplay within the framework of an MMO but no way to enforce it as a necessary part of gameplay, you can encourage it and players will engage in it if they want to but many won't and will just be there to grind out the game. However I think a good Rifts MMO is a worthwhile and welcome addition to the MMO market for a number of reasons, despite their faults they have some positives going for them especially with Palladium's troubles.

First is money, there's a metric f***ton of money to be made in MMOs, as was noted earlier even in crappy ones, it's base and low but the company has to make money to continue making books and other products. Besides the money is the exposure, seeing a Rifts movie or Rifts console game or just a lot more Rifts books is a lot more likely with exposure gained through a MMO, this is true for a single player or NWN style game too, a MMO just seems the most likely avenue given the current craze of MMOs and companies looking for ways to enter that market. This could have been true with the first Rifts game too but it was released for Ngage... so not much exposure resulted. Second I truly think Rifts would make a good MMO if done right, I have an appreciation for both MMOs and PnP games and am willing to accept they're too different to think of as being able to mingle well, a Rifts MMO would have to be a MMO first. It's just not possible to make a Rifts tabletop game as we know it as an MMO so things have to change to accomodate being an MMO and not a pen and paper game, i.e. I just can't see a way to make Rogue Scholars/Scientists work in an MMO context other than potential trade skill type secondary classes. However as much as would be lost in translation there's a lot to be gained, more people would be exposed to and able to enjoy the world of Rifts for one. I love Rifts for example but can't find a gaming group so I'm stuck, a Rifts MMO would at least let me enjoy the world and contribute to PB.

As for the issues of balance yes it's a tricky problem and to work in an MMO context changes would have to be made but it can work and can be an enjoyable game and I think that's the most important part. Regardless of the changes required being able to see the world of Rifts on my computer, make and level up a Glitter Boy, Dragon Hatchling, Juicer, Ley Line Walker, etc could be so fun it would make it worth the effort and sacrifices. Game balance is a difficult proposition in any MMO but it can be done.

I may not know programming but I know MMOs (like I said, no gaming group) and when I reread the sourcebooks I see ways it could work, not just work but work well and bring something new and wonderful to the market and introduce a lot of people to the world of Rifts. The launch game would work best limited to the territory covered in the original book, the eastern half of North America with a number of D Bee races along with humans, the original core classes (adjusted and streamlined) and for the pvp minded 3 factions, the Coalition, Magic Users and Neutral players and a few starting cities for each faction.

Of course the entire discussion is moot if the game can't be made for whatever reason, whether it be lack of interest for development or refusal to allow it. All things considered I think it's a much more likely, lucrative and beneficial option than holding out for a movie (though I would watch it of course) and I really think it could work, but its all just a nice pipedream for now.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

D-Bee

just curious, this made its way to my attention, yes I know I probably should have known about this before but I was checking out the forum (some thing I haven't done sense 2007) and I didn't see the answer.

Does Palladium have any thing to do with this http://riftgame.com/en/game/index.php

Cause if not there is some serious copy write problems going on here... from what I understand this is a Blizzard project.

PS Sorry I couldn't log into my old ID got a notice when I attempted that I had to reset my password after recent upgrades to the forum, unfortunately for me I no longer have access to the email I used to create the old ID lol

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Knight

I would just be happy with a Rifts based video game, a real one, not what was basically an app. I AM NOT TRYING TO DISRESPECT PROMISE OF POWER, however the reason I consider it to be just an app is due to the fact that it was only made available on a phone. This has made me very upset because of the fact that I had no means of getting said phone and thus getting Promise of Power. Honestly, if you ask me, it should have been made available to a much wider market, but that is just me getting on my soap box.

And Horrors Unknown

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com
For rifts we need a new type of MMO, one that features Players and an Actual GM for story telling

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer