Rifts Sovietski Stuff Already in The Rifter?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rifts Sovietski Stuff Already in The Rifter?

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Is it me or is it a bit odd that additional Rifts Sovietski material is showing up in Rifter 80? Sovietski was just released like 2 weeks ago! Why wasn't that material included in the book when it went to the printer? And why not publish material for games that are in desperate need of it? A good example was a BTS Tome Grotesque monster that was advertised for several weeks, if not longer, that was supposed to appear in Rifter 78, but at the 11th hour, it was dropped. The ink in the Sovietski book is still wet!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Rifts Sovietski Stuff Already in The Rifter?

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

sometimes stuff gets cut for space, to keep the pagecount from going too high (and thus the price of the book getting too high) when that happens, PB tries to stick any thing cut purely for space concerns into the rifter. they did it for Dinosaur swamp as well (and that material appeared later in Dinosaur Swamp Adventures)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Wow... that surprises me. I would think they'd want to put out the very best and most complete product they can. So what if a book is more money because it has a higher page count? Let it be more expensive if it means it's complete. I go insane when I have to look in core books, supplements, Rifters and errata for complete rules, equipment, settings, NPCs, etc. Just give it to me in one huge "1 stop-shop book". I don't understand people who complain about the prices of the books when you consider the amount of entertainment they provide. We're talking hours and hours and hours. Break it down and if you play even occasionally, you're really paying anywhere from cents per hour to a couple bucks per hour (depending on how much you play) for great entertainment. Compare that to going to the movies and it's substantially cheaper per hour. Speaking of cents, there's my 2. :-D

Good info, nonetheless, glitterboy. Thanks for the insight.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the higher the price, the worse it sells, usually. it is already over $25, and that is about as high as palladium prefers to go for a non-core book. including cut content could easily push it up over $30, due to the extra printing costs.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

There is also a bonus in that it helps get exposure to the book to all the Rifter readers.
Thus someone who is undecided on the book might be pushed into buying it by reading the article and thinking "Ahh, I like this I want the rest of this for my game"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

This has been an ongoing trend for years now and the last several books.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

I remember having heard that the limit of pages they can do with the binding is 224 or 226. That may be one reason.

I agree with what eliakon said, it gives exposure to the product for the Rifter audience.

Personally, I am fine with it. I view it as a kind of "extras DVD". We get the "editor's cut" with the book and extra scenes in the Rifter.
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

And if we are lucky we can have them tell us that the AP ammunition was an April Fools day prank and is not really supposed to be canon. :?
(Hey a guy can dream right?)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”