Rifter Submission length

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Iron Sorcerer
D-Bee

Rifter Submission length

Unread post by Iron Sorcerer »

I've been working on a rifter submission but its grown to be longer than the recommended length (5-30 pages). I'm currently over 50 pages, should I cut it down or send it anyway?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Rifter Submission length

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

given that a rifter is around 90 pages usually, and about 1/4 of it is advertisements.. yeah, you might want to cut it down.

for single articles it is better to shoot for 10-15 pages, multi-part ones maybe 20-30 at most. remember that while palladium's printing style compacts text by a fair bit, when pictures and other editing get added it tends to inflate back.

50 pages is actually fairly close to a small sourcebook though. so perhaps trim a version down to be an article, and if that gets printed, offer a full sourcebook using the complete version?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Iron Sorcerer
D-Bee

Unread post by Iron Sorcerer »

Good idea, thank you.
Osun
D-Bee

Unread post by Osun »

Maybe they would put it in 2 rifters
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Osun wrote:Maybe they would put it in 2 rifters

at 50 pages, it would probably be spread over 4-6 rifters. i've not really seen them do anything but stories over more than 3, and the stories that ran more than 2-3 issues were largely ill received by the readers (they were good stories, but the sheer length got aggravating)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Osun wrote:Maybe they would put it in 2 rifters

at 50 pages, it would probably be spread over 4-6 rifters. i've not really seen them do anything but stories over more than 3, and the stories that ran more than 2-3 issues were largely ill received by the readers (they were good stories, but the sheer length got aggravating)

Greetings and Salutations. Well, that depends on what "50 pages" means. Is that 50 printed pages, or 50 pages typed at a particular font style and size that will alter the printed page count (probably reducing that number)?

Even if it's 50 printed pages (which would be hard to estimate unless the poster had accurate and up-to-date information to base that guess off of), we have examples of articles such as The Crusaders & The Black Crusade (Tattoo Magic) which was 42 pages long (in print). While that length in a single issue is rare, it does happen. Then there are several examples of 20 page articles, which would mean that 2 issues is quite possible. Splitting it into 3 issues should easily fit the content, but I don't recall Palladium splitting many up into that many segments (stories such as Hammer of the Forge is one; and various adventures such as the Splicer material by Chuck Walton as a recent example, but not the only one). Without knowing the type of content, that'll be hard to guess.

The quality and usefulness of the article would be a major deciding factor, especially when compared to the quality and content of other submissions currently under consideration. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”