RUE Shifter Questions

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: RUE Shifter Questions

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

gadrin wrote:The biggest difference between the RUE Shifter and the Shifter from the Megaverse Builder is the RUE option #4 for Dimensional Travel. The RUE Shifter can open a "1-way dimensional portal" allowing only himself and his familiar and others costing 125PPE then another 25PPE each.

Question 1: I suppose if he opens the portal and someone sneaks thru, he can close it and leave them there ?

Sure. It's like any other spell. Unless you loose control of it somehow, you can cancel it at will.

It also mentions that the portal isn't always accurate & precise, meaning they could end up with a trip ahead of them.

Right below that under "Greater accuracy and for two-way travel" if the Shifter uses a full-blown Dimensional Portal (with the ritual) he can make it much more precise.

Question 2: in older Rifts book, and probably the Rifter #15 most, the Dimensional portals are based on targeting concentrations of PPE. Is that still holding up in the newer books ?

Clarify please. i'm not certain what your asking. the 2 way dimenisonal portal can, in theory, lead to anywhere in the megaverse.

In my game world there exists a "public" pocket dimension, that has a PPE source (Spatial Mage Realm) it's not very big, so its very easy to land on target, since the faux-ley-line is in the center.[/quote]
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

gadrin wrote:When you open a Dimensional Portal, you get a rift that leads to a place that's not in the middle of the ocean or a desert, which is weird because there could Ley Lines & Nexi anyplace. Doesn't Rifts Undersea have underwater ley lines, etc, etc ?

Anyway, Rifter #15 mentions Dimensional Rifts targeting concentrations of PPE. Shifter says: "I've been to Wormwood once. Think I'll open up a Rift to it again" and the Rift will more than likely find an inhabited, comfortable place, all things considered. It may not hit the point exactly where the shifter was aiming for, but he won't be tossed into someplace unlivable.

RUE mentions in the next para down about "Cosmic Bus Stops", so I think that answers my question. Yes, it targets places like nexus and ley lines, if they're around.

well that's it. it never says that in older books, only in Rifter 15...which leads me to beleive it's non-cannonal.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

gadrin wrote:When you open a Dimensional Portal, you get a rift that leads to a place that's not in the middle of the ocean or a desert

Says who?
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

That's true for the Shifter's Dimensional Travel ability, but a Dimensional Portal spell can open anywhere. Of course, if the Dimensional Portal is opened to a world the shifter is not familiar with, the "concentrations of P.P.E." limitation can be used to determine where the portal appears in that world (though I'd be equally inclined to open it into some lifeless wasteland).
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”