Levitation -- Does the Psychic Go Splat ?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes, things can only be lifted up and down.....to make things go sideways there needs to be a force from the outsdie pushing/pulling it.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Levitation

Unread post by Library Ogre »

gadrin wrote:according to the wording of the psi-power (I'm using Rifts GMG and RUE seems to be the same), it looks like things/people only go up.

so I'm a psychic standing on a 60 foot tall roof, I jump off, can I Levitate the last 10 feet and save myself from broken bones ? :?

Yes. It's limited to the vertical axis, not just up.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

gadrin wrote:according to the wording of the psi-power (I'm using Rifts GMG and RUE seems to be the same), it looks like things/people only go up.

so I'm a psychic standing on a 60 foot tall roof, I jump off, can I Levitate the last 10 feet and save myself from broken bones ? :?

No. It's 60 feet relative to yourself.

So if you tried to levitate someone ELSE down, you could only go 60'.

If you try to levitate yourself, there's really no limit (well, save breathable atmosphere :lol:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Personally I would say no enless, you have 7+ atttacks a round since you will hit the ground before it goes off.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

No. It's 60 feet relative to yourself.

So if you tried to levitate someone ELSE down, you could only go 60'.

If you try to levitate yourself, there's really no limit (well, save breathable atmosphere :lol:

Nk has the right of it.....was thinking of the levitatet spell in theprivoius post, and wasn't to awake right then
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

nameneeded wrote:
gadrin wrote:
Mouser13 wrote:Personally I would say no enless, you have 7+ atttacks a round since you will hit the ground before it goes off.

??

speed of thought

even if the psychic kicked the power in early, say at 25 feet, he should be able to "catch himself" and then fall the last 12 feet on his own.

I think mouser feels if you had sufficent number of attacks you could cast it a sufficeint number of times to save your self. (ie 10' at a time for a 60' fall = 5 times.)

Well what I was saying is that it takes 1.932 secs to fall 60 ft if you can't active the power in that time. You go splat, but the rules say speed of though or one per melee action. So in fact takes a melee action to go off. So you need to have enough attacks to be able to finish it which would be 8+ attacks needed.

X= X0 + v0t + ½ *at^2
X= 0 for ground
X0 = 18.29 for the 60ft convert to metric
V0= Assuming you have no jump it would be 0. If you did I would just add the height of the jump to X0 to keep this simple. (you would have to solve with quadratic formula).
T= time are unknown
A= acceleration in this case gravity 9.8

0=18.29 + 0 + 1/2 *-9.8t^2
-18.29 = 04.9 t^2
T^2 =3.73
T= 1.932 seconds. So if he can’t active in this time he's splat. THough when I said 7 attacks I was guessamating. So it would really be 8 attacks or more. Since 15/ 1.932 = 7.7 attacks.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Mouser13 wrote:
nameneeded wrote:
gadrin wrote:
Mouser13 wrote:Personally I would say no enless, you have 7+ atttacks a round since you will hit the ground before it goes off.

??

speed of thought

even if the psychic kicked the power in early, say at 25 feet, he should be able to "catch himself" and then fall the last 12 feet on his own.

I think mouser feels if you had sufficent number of attacks you could cast it a sufficeint number of times to save your self. (ie 10' at a time for a 60' fall = 5 times.)

Well what I was saying is that it takes 1.932 secs to fall 60 ft if you can't active the power in that time. You go splat, but the rules say speed of though or one per melee action. So in fact takes a melee action to go off. So you need to have enough attacks to be able to finish it which would be 8+ attacks needed.

X= X0 + v0t + ½ *at^2
X= 0 for ground
V0= Assuming you have no jump it would be 0. If you did I would just add the height of the jump to X0 to keep this simple. (you would have to solve with quadratic formula).
T= time are unknown

-18.29 = 04.9 t^2
T^2 =3.73
T= 1.932 seconds. So if he can’t active in this time he's splat. THough when I said 7 attacks I was guessamating. So it would really be 8 attacks or more. Since 15/ 1.932 = 7.7 attacks.
Remember, this is a game... not rocket science!! :D :D :D :D
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Mouser13 wrote:
nameneeded wrote:
gadrin wrote:

??

speed of thought

X= X0 + v0t + ½ *at^2
X= 0 for ground
T= time are unknown

-18.29 = 04.9 t^2
T^2 =3.73
Remember, this is a game... not rocket science!! :D :D :D :D

Well that is try that is why I just guessamate it at first to say if he had 7 attacks. I only did the math to show that I was close and to help people see what I was thinking.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Well, I agree the lev will save him if he can get it off.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”