Question: Mind Bond

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The ineffible GM
Explorer

Question: Mind Bond

Unread post by The ineffible GM »

If anyone's got official answers, that'd be great, but this seems more a grey area open to interpretation, and I'm curious to know how others would handle it.

Are there advantages to combining Total Recall with Mind Bond?

Under the power's description it lists the odds of gaining insanity if the power user bonds with a traumatized/alien mind, but what if the power user is traumatized? Does the target have the same odds of gaining insanity?
"Otaru taught me that blue skies mean happiness"
- Lime, from Sabre Marionette J, episode twenty five
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Advantages of combining Total Recall and Mind Bond? I would have to say no, because it is not your memory.

Second, if the person activiting mind bone is traumatized. Whould he be traumatized I would have to say no. Based on the fact that some how the user doesn't no it going to end though he knows all what the caster would know and he does(werid).
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

No. It says specifically that total recall applies ONLY to the written word and to nothing else.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The ineffible GM
Explorer

Thank you for trying to help mouser, but I'm afraid I have no idea what you tried to say in your post.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:No. It says specifically that total recall applies ONLY to the written word and to nothing else.

I realize that, but if the user has absorbed all the memories of the target, then does that not include things that the target has read? Not trying to argue so much as illustrate the particular point of interest.
And what about causing permanent insanity to the target? If the user can gain permanent insanities even though the memories fade, can't the target too?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

The ineffible GM wrote:Thank you for trying to help mouser, but I'm afraid I have no idea what you tried to say in your post.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:No. It says specifically that total recall applies ONLY to the written word and to nothing else.

I realize that, but if the user has absorbed all the memories of the target, then does that not include things that the target has read? Not trying to argue so much as illustrate the particular point of interest.
And what about causing permanent insanity to the target? If the user can gain permanent insanities even though the memories fade, can't the target too?

You don't actually read what your person read though, just their memories of them.

Now, what you CAN do, is write stuff down, then read it again yourself using total recall to memorize it for good :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
The ineffible GM wrote:Thank you for trying to help mouser, but I'm afraid I have no idea what you tried to say in your post.

You don't actually read what your person read though, just their memories of them.

Now, what you CAN do, is write stuff down, then read it again yourself using total recall to memorize it for good :D

Good Thinkin'! :ok:
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
The ineffible GM
Explorer

Thanks for the help, but what about the insanity portion of things? Opinions?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

The ineffible GM wrote:Thanks for the help, but what about the insanity portion of things? Opinions?

it'd be a temporary insanity. fades when the memories do.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Just thought I'd make a note real quick in regards to the whole "applies ONLY to the written word" comment. First, I'll state I was rather shocked when I pulled out Rifts GM Guide to see that comment. As for in PF2 and HU2 main books (only checked the three) it states "The character remembers every word he reads or hears, or everything he sees."

It seems to be phrased with the read only comment in the original Rifts book as well, so it doesn't appear to be a timeline switched the rule thing, but more of a setting (or copy and paste) thing. Of course, really looking at it now the Rifts version also seems to be the only one that mentions the same I.S.P. cost in the description instead of 3 for remembering, so that's at least a nice plus. Anyways, since the original poster agreed with the read only statement, I take it this is in regards to Rifts (though felt I should mention it since this is a general thread and not Rifts specific).

Okay, I seem to have went a bit off topic. Now I'll do my best to answer the two questions. For the first, there is no answer specifically stated. I will say no for these two reasons: 1) It doesn't state Total Recall will help in the description, and the both powers existed (so it's not like one came later). Of course, that's not necessarily proof. 2) Mind Bond is the Super Psionic, I'd say it's more powerful and overwrites the minor.

As for the second question about the victim gaining insanities, again, I'd have to say no. To Nekira, it says I'll agree, it does make sense. However, in the description it also mentions how an insanity may be gained by linking with an alien mind. Now your mind would have to be just as strange and unfamiliar to it as yours is to the alien. If that truly was the case, I'd say it should be listed with that as well, but it's clearly not. It says "permanently impair the psychic's mind". Now when Nekira Sudacne said temporary, not sure if she meant that, or the fact things such as "phobias" are learned as well. However, simply because a phobia or insanity is learned, I don't think that necessarily means that it is experienced (you can tell me you have a phobia of spiders, doesn't mean I'll necessarily have it now as well, though I did learn it).

It might have something to do with the willingness to bond as opposed to simply being an unwilling victim. I know, I know, what if the victim was willing? Don't argue with me because I don't know the answer, just trying to help provide some basis for the book statement. Far as I know it could be something that lingers to the ability of Mind Bond making it more intense for the psychic user. I don't believe there is any official answer regarding either, so I did my best to explain why and use the information in the book to answer. Hope it helped, have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Question here, been a bit since I read the Mind bond desc. Does it still say only the pshyic knows that the memorys are temporary?

If so you could use that has a bases to say if that is not transfer then somethings are not transfer and maybe insanity are not transferer.

I hope this is a little bit better then my first post on this.

Though personally I would say yes, Though the person should get a saving throw for each insanity. Then get a second chance to drop the insanity when memories leave.

THough personally this is a GM call. Plus it would make a good villian, a person that like to go around giving insanities.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The psychic knows the memories are temporary. The target knows everything the psychic knows.

However, there's two aspects of insanity to consider here, and they should be considered separately.

The first is in a human-to-human bond (or any reasonably human creature). In that case, they both gain KNOWLEDGE of each other's insanities, phobias, etc., but they do not suffer from it.

The second is if you contact either an alien or emotionally disturbed mind. Then you have a chance of contracting an insanity, not because they have one, but because doing so breaks your mind. "Emotionally disturbed" isn't precisely defined, but I would say it needs to be a fairly powerful form of disturbance... a manic depressive, though technically psychotic, isn't going to make you crazy. Someone who is non-functionally homicidal, on the other hand, is going to cause trouble for you.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Mouser13 wrote:{Snip}
Plus it would make a good villian, a person that like to go around giving insanities.

Greetings and Salutations. Just use Cause Insanity (Super Psionic). It's listed in the PF2 Main Book, though I don't see it listed in HU2 or Rifts GM Guide (too lazy to check Nightbane, BtS, etc.). Farewell and safe journeys.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”