Barrier of Thoth?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crazy Lou
Hero

Barrier of Thoth?

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Is a spatial mage's ability to instantly be anywhere in his realm stopped by the Barrier of Thoth? I'm not sure if it exactly counts as teleporting, or something else.

Also, if the spatial mage was the one who cast the barrier of thoth, is he stopped from casting past it?
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Barrier of Thoth?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Crazy Lou wrote:Is a spatial mage's ability to instantly be anywhere in his realm stopped by the Barrier of Thoth? I'm not sure if it exactly counts as teleporting, or something else.

Also, if the spatial mage was the one who cast the barrier of thoth, is he stopped from casting past it?

Barrier of Thoth would not stop teleporting. Dimensional Feild would.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Crazy Lou
Hero

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:Is a spatial mage's ability to instantly be anywhere in his realm stopped by the Barrier of Thoth? I'm not sure if it exactly counts as teleporting, or something else.

???? Huh? In BoM it specifically states that just the same way a firequake will stop at the front of the barrier, so too is it impossible for a mage to call lightning behind it, or teleport behind it. I didn't mean D-Porting to his realm, I meant if the barrier was inside his realm, and he was too, would the Spatial Mage be able to use the Instant Transport power at the very back of the "Dimensional Realm" section of Rifter 3's description to get behind the Barrier of Thoth, or would that count as teleporting past?

Additionally, what about the second half of my question? Is the mage who casts Barrier of Thoth unable to send spells/teleport/whatever through Barrier of Thoth as well, or is he exempt from those effects?
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It would also depend on how the SM set up his Dimentional realm.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Crazy Lou wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

???? Huh? In BoM it specifically states that just the same way a firequake will stop at the front of the barrier, so too is it impossible for a mage to call lightning behind it, or teleport behind it. I didn't mean D-Porting to his realm, I meant if the barrier was inside his realm, and he was too, would the Spatial Mage be able to use the Instant Transport power at the very back of the "Dimensional Realm" section of Rifter 3's description to get behind the Barrier of Thoth, or would that count as teleporting past?

What was unclear about my answer? Barrier of Thoth will not stop teleporting effects behind it. The Spell Diemsnional Barrier (not feild) would, if you are looking for a spell that CAN. if not, simply ignore that part.

and as to the second part, no, the spellcaster is not exempt from it's effects.

Additionally, what about the second half of my question? Is the mage who casts Barrier of Thoth unable to send spells/teleport/whatever through Barrier of Thoth as well, or is he exempt from those effects?[/quote]
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Crazy Lou
Hero

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

What was unclear about my answer? Barrier of Thoth will not stop teleporting effects behind it. The Spell Diemsnional Barrier (not feild) would, if you are looking for a spell that CAN. if not, simply ignore that part.

and as to the second part, no, the spellcaster is not exempt from it's effects.

Well....

Rifts Book Of Magic, Pg 154 wrote: ...the barrier... prevents people from teleporting beyond the barrier, or casting any type of magic or psionics through it.

That is what's unclear about your answer. The fact that it directly contradicts printed canon material. My point was that I knew that Barrier of Thoth does stop a person from teleporting behind the barrier; the question was whether or not a Spatial Mage's selection of "Instant Travel" while within his realm constituded teleportation and would thus be prevented from teleporting beyond the barrier, or whether the unique nature of that spatial mage power constitutes something other than teleportation and would thus NOT be prevented by Barrier of Thoth.

Separately, thanks for the second part of your response, that was helpful.

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Sorry has been a bit since I look at the spatical mage. If my memory is right don't you have to pay perm P.P.E. to make the realm and give him that ability in it.

If so I think it would because it is still magic being channel from the realm to do it. Also I think anti-magic cloud would work too.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”