Who can learn Nazca Line Magic?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crazy Lou
Hero

Who can learn Nazca Line Magic?

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Yeah, the thread subject says it all... So, How 'bout it?

Thanks!
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Nazca Line Mages?

Seriously, CJ seems to say that any Man of Magic OCC can learn Nazcan line magic at one-half their own level, rounded down. Diabolists (and I would assume, summoners) may be exempt from this, due to the not on page 31 that says "only the circle making diabolist has a knack for line making magic." They only MAY be exempt from it, because the next paragraph ends with "Only line makes, who have spent their lives studying these rituals, can use their powers at full strength (and are themselves penalized in that they cannot cast most regular spells)."

My interpretation would be that line magic is for line mages only. Diabolists and summoners may use it at half-strength. Others may not. Nazcan line mages may learn, incidentally, summoning with the same deficeit, though circle magic seems a lot more persnickety about materials than Nazcan magic.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Crazy Lou
Hero

Mark Hall wrote:Nazca Line Mages?

Seriously, CJ seems to say that any Man of Magic OCC can learn Nazcan line magic at one-half their own level, rounded down. Diabolists (and I would assume, summoners) may be exempt from this, due to the not on page 31 that says "only the circle making diabolist has a knack for line making magic." They only MAY be exempt from it, because the next paragraph ends with "Only line makes, who have spent their lives studying these rituals, can use their powers at full strength (and are themselves penalized in that they cannot cast most regular spells)."

My interpretation would be that line magic is for line mages only. Diabolists and summoners may use it at half-strength. Others may not. Nazcan line mages may learn, incidentally, summoning with the same deficeit, though circle magic seems a lot more persnickety about materials than Nazcan magic.

Wait... your first paragraph suggests anyone can learn to use it at 1/2 their level's power, and the second paragraph suggests no one can learn it except that class + summoners/diabolists at 1/2 their level.... Which one do you mean? :?:
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

Library Ogre

Crazy Lou wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:Nazca Line Mages?

Wait... your first paragraph suggests anyone can learn to use it at 1/2 their level's power, and the second paragraph suggests no one can learn it except that class + summoners/diabolists at 1/2 their level.... Which one do you mean? :?:

Precisely what I said. The rules say that anyone can do it at half level. I would say that only diabolists and summoners could do so, and then at half level.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Crazy Lou
Hero

ah, gotcha. Last thing then: supposing that a person was somehow miraculously able to earn the right to be taught "Create Ley Line" and "Extend Ley Line," exactly how would the "half their level" thing apply?

Library Ogre

It wouldn't. There are no level-dependent modifiers on the spells, so once they're 2nd level, if they know the magics, they can use the magics. (unless there's a minimum level I overlooked in my hasty read-through)

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”