PPE Base

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: PPE Base

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Zuari wrote:Do you add the PPE for a race to the PPE base of the OCC or just take which ever is highest. :?

OCC stacks onto Race.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You take the PPE base that is highest, wether it be the race's or OCC's or an Rcc's. The race's PPE base is for those of that race, that are not mages, while the base stated in a magic OCC is that for a char with that magic OCC.

Soo NS, did RUE change that? (page# & quote please if so). Becasue what you just said sounded like the house rule I heard about a couple months ago here.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:You take the PPE base that is highest, wether it be the race's or OCC's or an Rcc's. The race's PPE base is for those of that race, that are not mages, while the base stated in a magic OCC is that for a char with that magic OCC.

Soo NS, did RUE change that? (page# & quote please if so). Becasue what you just said sounded like the house rule I heard about a couple months ago here.

Change what? sounds to me like yours is the houserule.

AKA: books never mention it anywhere that I know of.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:You take the PPE base that is highest, wether it be the race's or OCC's or an Rcc's. The race's PPE base is for those of that race, that are not mages, while the base stated in a magic OCC is that for a char with that magic OCC.

Nekira, Drew, neither of you are correct here:

RUE page 185 under the sub heading Individual PPE Reserve

"Note: Each specific Magic OCC will indicate how much PPE the character starts with as his permanent PPE base and how much is added to that base with each new level of advancement. Each amount as per OCC indicates the level of study, mastery and focus for that OCC."

Seems pretty clear that the PPE base to use is OCC only. Adding OCC PPE and racial PPE is the house rule here. As is picking the higher PPE roll between OCC and racial base.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

It's one of those nebulous situations where the rule in one book says one thing, but there are a number of races that state you do add the racial amount to the OCC amount.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

asajosh wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Nekira, Drew, neither of you are correct here:

"Note: Each specific Magic OCC will indicate how much PPE the character starts with as his permanent PPE base and how much is added to that base with each new level of advancement. Each amount as per OCC indicates the level of study, mastery and focus for that OCC."

Seems pretty clear that the PPE base to use is OCC only. Adding OCC PPE and racial PPE is the house rule here. As is picking the higher PPE roll between OCC and racial base.

Not really. those classes are written with human casters in mind.

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Talavar wrote:It's one of those nebulous situations where the rule in one book says one thing, but there are a number of races that state you do add the racial amount to the OCC amount.

Ok ya thats true, but you should use the rule from RUE pg 185 unless the OCC/RCC specifically states otherwise .
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

asajosh wrote:Nekira, Drew, neither of you are correct here:

Thank you for supporting what I said.

Though I took in account that some races/RCC's have more PPE then others, and that some RCC's can have two magical abiltiy sets at the same time.
(NightBane are exmples or a Race with a High Natural PPE base, and godlings and demi gods are the two RCCs that can have two sets of magics.)
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Thank you for supporting what I said.

Though I took in account that some races/RCC's have more PPE then others, and that some RCC's can have two magical abiltiy sets at the same time.
(NightBane are exmples or a Race with a High Natural PPE base, and godlings and demi gods are the two RCCs that can have two sets of magics.)

Or any high-level NPC created by Palladium Staff.
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Mr. E wrote:Seems to me, based on RUE and some race descriptions that you only get the P.P.E. from the O.C.C. unless otherwise stated in your race description.

Of course, the G.M. has the final say on how he/she wants it. :)

:ok:
Carl

Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

To me it makes sense that a race that naturally has more PPE than humans would also have more if that amount has been increased via magic-training, just as a race that naturally has less - and there are some - should end up with a lower total as a spell caster.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Talavar wrote:To me it makes sense that a race that naturally has more PPE than humans would also have more if that amount has been increased via magic-training, just as a race that naturally has less - and there are some - should end up with a lower total as a spell caster.

Since when did RIFTS always make since. THough I agree with you and add Race and OCC together.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

My house rule is that you do not add P.E. to your OCC base; instead, you add your racial base. Thus, a human Ley Line Walker has 2D6 + 3D6X10+20 P.P.E. at 1st level; an elven Ley Line Walker has 5D6 + 3D6X10+20; a Lyvorrk will have 2D6+12 + 3D6X10+20.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

What is the default PPE for a human? (non-magic casting)

In HU2 its about 4d6-6d6.

Cite page numbers too if possible. :D
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

2D6. That's from Palladium Fantasy, 2nd edition.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Humans: 2d6 for adults, for children upto the age of 18 5d6 according to PF2

2d6 in rifts and NB

BTS1: 6d6+6 up to 13 yrs old, 4d6 14-19, 3d6 for 20+

HU2: children: 5d6, teen 6d6+pe, adults 2d6

In ATB2, the amount of PPE is their PE (for the most part) but then this is for mutant animals not humans. :p

So in conclution, if you are an adult human and you are not a magic user Nor a PSI, your PPE will be 2d6.
ghost2020
Adventurer

Unread post by ghost2020 »

Thanks!

:-D

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”