Fire Balls, fire spells, ect.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

verdilak
Adventurer

Fire Balls, fire spells, ect.

Unread post by verdilak »

Is it stated in any of the books the degrees of a fire ball or other similar fire spell?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Fire Balls, fire spells, ect.

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

verdilak wrote:Is it stated in any of the books the degrees of a fire ball or other similar fire spell?

Fire Ball is a sixth level spell sinse the days of the main book.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
verdilak
Adventurer

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
verdilak wrote:Is it stated in any of the books the degrees of a fire ball or other similar fire spell?

What the hell did that have to do with my question? Next time, please read and understand what you are reading before replying.

Again, my question is asking for the degrees of any firespell. I.E. Degrees in Fahrenheit or Celsius. NOT number of dice for damage, or the level of the spell. DEGREES. TEMPERATURE. shesh. :?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

verdilak wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

What the hell did that have to do with my question? Next time, please read and understand what you are reading before replying.

Again, my question is asking for the degrees of any firespell. I.E. Degrees in Fahrenheit or Celsius. NOT number of dice for damage, or the level of the spell. DEGREES. TEMPERATURE. shesh. :?

What's gotten you so rude today? People misread things sometimes :P

and no, it's never stated anywhere.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

yeah verdy, no need to snap. Its hot, like wielding torch hot.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There is nothing about how hot a fireball gets.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Fireball temperature

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I'd say it would be at least the melting point of ordinary steel(in an MDC setting).When I get a chance, I'll look it up for you if you want.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
verdilak
Adventurer

Yea, anything that would state it in canon or a rifter would be great.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Here's a handy measurement for you:
1 MDC = 1 Motorcycle.

So look at the spell in question, find the damage, and then figure out the required temperature to achieve the effect.

For example, Fire Bolt does 4d6 MD.
Which means that it puts out enough heat to instantly slag 4-24 motorcycles.

:-D
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
verdilak
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:Here's a handy measurement for you:
1 MDC = 1 Motorcycle.

So look at the spell in question, find the damage, and then figure out the required temperature to achieve the effect.

For example, Fire Bolt does 4d6 MD.
Which means that it puts out enough heat to instantly slag 4-24 motorcycles.

:-D

Woohoo... now.... gotta ask, is that in Road Hogs?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would have to note.....that after reading the posts that you should consider the MD fireball x100 hotter then a SD fireball of the same level. It not all about rifts you know.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
verdilak
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I would have to note.....that after reading the posts that you should consider the MD fireball x100 hotter then a SD fireball of the same level. It not all about rifts you know.

Well, yea, I plan to.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

So I came up to an approximation:

Take a look at WI-NFT-1 Napalm-P Flame Thrower (JU pg 73) which does 3d6 MDC in burts. Now we can consider that a fire bolt is also a burst of fire. The Fire bolt spell does 4d6 MDC, so we can assume it's a little hotter than WI-NFT-1 Napalm-P Flame Thrower.
Now, in the SDC world we are living Napalm-B reaches temperatures about 1200 ºC (2200 ºF). Taking the Conversion book guidelines, that you can switch MDC to SDC when changing dimensions, you can assume that a burts of Napalm will do 3d6 SDC. If 3d6 are at 1200ºC then 4d6 have a temperature of 1600 ºC (2912 ºF). So you can assume that a Firebolt burst is at 1600ºC (the steel melting point is 1400 ºC).

Hope this helps.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

mobuttu wrote:So I came up to an approximation:

Take a look at WI-NFT-1 Napalm-P Flame Thrower (JU pg 73) which does 3d6 MDC in burts. Now we can consider that a fire bolt is also a burst of fire. The Fire bolt spell does 4d6 MDC, so we can assume it's a little hotter than WI-NFT-1 Napalm-P Flame Thrower.
Now, in the SDC world we are living Napalm-B reaches temperatures about 1200 ºC (2200 ºF). Taking the Conversion book guidelines, that you can switch MDC to SDC when changing dimensions, you can assume that a burts of Napalm will do 3d6 SDC. If 3d6 are at 1200ºC then 4d6 have a temperature of 1600 ºC (2912 ºF). So you can assume that a Firebolt burst is at 1600ºC (the steel melting point is 1400 ºC).

Hope this helps.

Napalm P is a mega-damage weapon.
In an SDC world, it would do 6d6 SDC minimum.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

verdilak
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Hope this helps.

But if you go by the easy transfer, MD-100=SDC.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

verdilak wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Hope this helps.

But if you go by the easy transfer, MD-100=SDC.

1. I assume you mean "MD/100=SDC".
2. Easy, Schmeasy. It doesn't make a lick of sense to have high tech weapons that do equal or less damage than low-tech weapons.

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Napalm P is a mega-damage weapon.

I know. You are right, As you can see and I said, I did lots of assumptions to make an approach to the issue. You can always multiply by 100 the reached temperature. If you don't like this approach don't take it. I'm not carving it on stone... :-D

Killer Cyborg wrote:It doesn't make a lick of sense to have high tech weapons that do equal or less damage than low-tech weapons.

IIRC, it is stated in the CB that you can consider MD from a weapon/spell to do SD went trasnported in a SDC world, can't you? :-?

Killer Cyborg
Priest

mobuttu wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:It doesn't make a lick of sense to have high tech weapons that do equal or less damage than low-tech weapons.

IIRC, it is stated in the CB that you can consider MD from a weapon/spell to do SD went trasnported in a SDC world, can't you? :-?

CB1 Revised states for certain weapons that you should just have it converts straight to SDC. So a laser pistol that does 1d6 MD would do 1d6 SDC.
At the same time, other weapons, like vibro-knives, do 2x their MD in SDC.
So a vibro-knife that does 1d6 MD would do 2d6 SDC.
The reason they give for this happening with vibro-blades is that super high-tech weapons should be more powerful than their conventional counterparts: i.e., why have a vibro-knife if a $2 knife from K-Mart will do the same damage.

In the case of Napalm P, it makes no sense for a super high-tech napalm gun to do less damage than a WWII surplus flamethrower.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mobuttu »

Killer Cyborg wrote:In the case of Napalm P, it makes no sense for a super high-tech napalm gun to do less damage than a WWII surplus flamethrower.

I absolutely agree with you. Please refer to previous post about the assumptions made. So, what do you suggest for figuring out the Fire bolt temperature (besides motocycles melting point?) :-)

Taking you example above, if we take into account a x2 rate, then it'll be 8d6 SDC (4d6 MDC), that's about 3200 ºC (5792 ºF). Several melting points herein:

- Plastics (many types): around 200 ºC
- Steel: 1370 ºC
- Titanium: 1670 ºC
- Ceramics (many types): from 1900 ºC to 3140 ºC
- Graphite (highest melting point): 3948 ºC

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

This message has been moved to the Guild of Magic & Psionics Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
verdilak
Adventurer

gadrin wrote:Naruni Wave 2 has the Thermo-Kinetic Armor, which is rated for protection up to 500 degrees. Mega-damage fire does half-damage to it.

I'm not sure it's realistic though. Plasma weapons which should be considerably hotter than fire do about the same as a Firebolt or even the Fireblast or Fire Gout spells.

So you've got a ballpark to work with.

Does it state WHY megadamage fire does half damage to it?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

verdilak wrote:
gadrin wrote:Naruni Wave 2 has the Thermo-Kinetic Armor, which is rated for protection up to 500 degrees. Mega-damage fire does half-damage to it.

I'm not sure it's realistic though. Plasma weapons which should be considerably hotter than fire do about the same as a Firebolt or even the Fireblast or Fire Gout spells.

So you've got a ballpark to work with.

Does it state WHY megadamage fire does half damage to it?

becasue even if it's not immune to fires over 500 degrees, dosn't mean it's suddenly stopping being heat-resistant. it's not an on-off thing.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

mobuttu wrote:So, what do you suggest for figuring out the Fire bolt temperature (besides motocycles melting point?) :-)

Taking you example above, if we take into account a x2 rate, then it'll be 8d6 SDC (4d6 MDC), that's about 3200 ºC (5792 ºF). Several melting points herein:

Not sure where you're getting the 3200 degrees from.

What you'd need to do is to find out the temperature of a blast from a flamethrower, compare it to the listed damage for a flamethrower in the game, and move from there.

verdilak
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:
mobuttu wrote:So, what do you suggest for figuring out the Fire bolt temperature (besides motocycles melting point?) :-)

Not sure where you're getting the 3200 degrees from.

What you'd need to do is to find out the temperature of a blast from a flamethrower, compare it to the listed damage for a flamethrower in the game, and move from there.

But that wont really work. Everything I have found shows that a single fire temperature scale is going to be hard to use. I mean, windows laced with adamantium wont be dealt any damage by a high-temperature flame thrower, which has to put the temperature of high-temp flamethrowers at 3000 degrees or higher...

EDIT: So far, I have found one flamethrower being at 2000 degrees... which is enough to melt steel, but not iron.
verdilak
Adventurer

Okay, seems flamethrowers are only as good as their fuel, and so far, I have found that you can use napalm in flamethrowers, and Napalm generates temperatures of 800 to 1200 degrees Celsius, or up to 2200 degrees F. So it seems that flamethrowers do 2000-2200 degrees F in temps, what does PB say their damage is? is it consistent in all the books they are in?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

verdilak wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:What you'd need to do is to find out the temperature of a blast from a flamethrower, compare it to the listed damage for a flamethrower in the game, and move from there.

But that wont really work. Everything I have found shows that a single fire temperature scale is going to be hard to use. I mean, windows laced with adamantium wont be dealt any damage by a high-temperature flame thrower, which has to put the temperature of high-temp flamethrowers at 3000 degrees or higher...

Adamantium isn't found in any Palladium games, so that's not an issue.

EDIT: So far, I have found one flamethrower being at 2000 degrees... which is enough to melt steel, but not iron.

Where'd you find that?

verdilak
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:

Where'd you find that?

I have no clue... went through about 50 or so google search pages looking for it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

verdilak wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Where'd you find that?

I have no clue... went through about 50 or so google search pages looking for it.

Shame.

At any rate, it all comes down to why specifically you're looking for the information and how much work you're willing to put into solving your problem.
For example, you might come up with a heat-based version of the Penetration Value rules if your goal is to see whether or not certain heat attack could damage certain objects.

verdilak
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:
verdilak wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Where'd you find that?

Shame.

At any rate, it all comes down to why specifically you're looking for the information and how much work you're willing to put into solving your problem.
For example, you might come up with a heat-based version of the Penetration Value rules if your goal is to see whether or not certain heat attack could damage certain objects.

Actually, I have decided on writing a Rifter article on Fire Damage, as in 1st-3rd degree burns ect. all of it, and even getting the degrees of all the fire attacks and stuff. But it's hard to come up with specific rules, and then what about Rifts? Its a hard article to write.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”