Riddle me this...

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1) it 'might' give the Mage a second roll to learn spells from scrolls, if you play with the RUE rules set. In other words its up to you GM to decide. However, saying all of that, if this happened with-in one of my games I would rule that you remamber the words that were said, but it doesn't remember how the power flow felt so it don't do JACK for giving the mage a 2nd 3rd 4th.....etc.. chance to learn the spell.

2)Those who are stuck into stasis enjoy the protection of the WoD for the duration of the spell.

Can not be cast around/through someone, must be cast on open space other wise it fails.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Riddle me this...

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Scrotefish wrote:Just a couple of ponderings to hopefully clear up.

1. If a LLW had the psionic of total recall, could they use it to aid in learning spells from scrolls?

Nope...you don't learn a spell from a scroll by the words. the magic is in the scroll itself, the words are just a trigger. but the words are completely irrelevant, it's all about copying the magic flow as it flows out.

2. If a living being is stuck to a Wall of Defence, can they still take damage or are they magically protected until the spell runs out or is cancelled?

Hmmm....

what spell is that?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
verdilak
Adventurer

Re: Riddle me this...

Unread post by verdilak »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Scrotefish wrote:Just a couple of ponderings to hopefully clear up.

1. If a LLW had the psionic of total recall, could they use it to aid in learning spells from scrolls?

Nope...you don't learn a spell from a scroll by the words. the magic is in the scroll itself, the words are just a trigger. but the words are completely irrelevant, it's all about copying the magic flow as it flows out.

Umm... Wizards/Magic classes can learn spells from scrolls. And just because I have PF in front of me:

Page 105 under the heading Conversion of Spell Scrolls

"...Reading a scroll can have the same basic effect as casting a spell, but anyone who can read its words can use/perform/cast its magic...A careless reading or even cursory skim of the scroll will activate or dispel its magic...Once a scroll is read, its magic writing dissapears....What this means for the wizard trying to convert a scroll into a spell, is that he has only one chance to read, interpret and convert the written scroll into a viable incantation. This is done mentally while reading the scroll..."

So, umm... yea, where did you get the idea that you dont learn a spell by the words, and that the words are irrelevant? 'Cause, I would LOVE to know what page number and what book states that fun little fact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Scrotefish wrote:snip..

Next one.

Mystic Portal - The way I read it, a mage could cast this so it opens up right behind the enemy, then while it's open lob through a grenade/shoot them etc, before negating the spell.

Yes, this is something a Smart mage would do. it might be even better to open it to the side or from above, might be better.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

I would say no to total recall working for another shot to learn from a scroll actually. If the magic can't be saved (and i do believe they give examples of photography and such) then i would rule that unless you remembered it enough to learn it the first time, you wouldn't remember it at all the second time.
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Prince Artemis wrote:I would say no to total recall working for another shot to learn from a scroll actually. If the magic can't be saved (and i do believe they give examples of photography and such) then i would rule that unless you remembered it enough to learn it the first time, you wouldn't remember it at all the second time.

I do agree with this, as per canon, however, if the GM allows it due to a good arguement, go with it. Since converting a scroll uses up that scroll, total recal wouldnt help with that scroll... however, if the mage had, lets say, 10 sanctuary scrolls and was using total recal on the first on as he tried to convert it, then it should give him a percentage bonus to try and convert the next scroll, as long as the second scroll was the same as the first.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”