Summon Greater Familiar

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Yeah this could be clarified upon. I even checked Dark Conversions (page 170). It has the latest Witch info. IMO if you make a pack you would probably get the powers under Major Pack which has 8 powers/bonuses. If a battle of the wills I would think it would be more like a Shifter where they bend the demons to their will.

My 2 cents.

Carl
ImageImage
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Re: Summon Greater Familiar

Unread post by acreRake »

belial.1980 wrote:In the Rifts Book of Magic under the spell, "Summon Greater Familiar" it notes "(See Witch and greater familiar section; numbers 1 to 8 all apply)"

Now, Witch is not included in the BOM, so I turned to the conversion book and found "Demon Familiar" under the Witchery section. Is this the same thing as a Greater Familiar? If so, how come there are only numbers 1-6 mentioned, and how do the psychic powers apply for # 6? Ar they somehow granted to the spell caster, or the demon under the spell?

Is this a series of typos, or is Demonic familiar, as listed in the conversion book, different from a Greater familiar? If so, where would I find the rules for Greater Familiar?

Sorry if this comes across as confusing to anybody. Thanks in advance for any help.
Ok. I had the idea that this is a copy/paste of a spell from PFRPG, i checked and they are identical. Now in PF under Major Pacts there are 8 bonus powers.

Also PF2 page 115 it says: "... who has made a major pact receives a demon familiar (also known as a Greater Familiar)..." So yes, they are the same.

So here's how i see it: (and YMMV as i don't have many Rifts books beyond the BOM and no conversion books.) The second sentence in the spell description is the important one: the spell caster can make the summoned being her familiar by winning a battle of wills (as outlined in the spell) OR signing a major pact and becoming a witch (and then using whatever rules for witch-making you have...if you are using the ones in PFRPG 1-8 apply, if you're "converting" use whatever powers are described in the Rifts books, 1-6 i guess.)

I didn't think your question was all that confusing... :bandit:
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

What? Too reasonable?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”