Godling vs Hatchling Dragon

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

The conversion process from Godling to full fledged god is not described (that I know of) in Pantheons of the Megaverse. Typically, it seems that Gods can select several OCC skills and special abilities. To use your example of Zeus: He's a 20th level Air and Water Warlock, 15th level Ley Line Walker and a 15th level Warrior (pantheons of the Megaverse page 68 ). Of course, he's also an NPC creation, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think in Dragons and Gods (palladium fantasy source book) there is a process for changing from Godling to full God, but it involves establishing yourself as the head of a church, recruiting priests and gathering worshippers (I've only skimmed the description as player character Gods have never factored into any of my games). In any case if you have a godling character who has his eye on the prize of becoming a full god, it should take a long, LONG, L-O-N-G time :D
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

There are advanages for a Godling over a dragon. They get to choose three special abilities. One of which is they can have the abilities of one OCC while they are another one. I've used it witha Demigod I ran. He was a Ley Line walker with the abilities of a Temporal Wizard. His father has that ability too. So I figure Odin wouldn't make his son go insane. The Gm agreed, so he doesn't have the insanities normally associated with being a Temporal Wizard. My character is pretty darn powerful spell caster. Of course he ended up becoming very rich in the campaign due to our GM getting a little drink on a "half glass" of cheap (and I do mean cheap and weak) wine. I advised him not to drink the wine.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Godlings don't get an OCC, and that's not new to D-Bees of NA. They get 3 powers from the list, and the skills that follow. Demigods get one power and an OCC.

Depending on what combination of powers your godling char chose, it's certainly possible to have a more powerful dragon hatchling char. It's also possible, depending on power choice and OCC choice for a demigod to be more powerful than a godling. A godling that chooses powers purely for in game power will probably be stronger than either a dragon hatchling or a demigod however.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is probably true since I waas going by memory. Although they do get special abilities which allow them to simulate occs.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Of course I'm at work with no reference material at all! Which does stink. I'm more than likely wrong about this.

HH....FIE
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Godling vs Hatchling Dragon

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

walross1978 wrote:In our game we have both Godling and a Hatchling dragon and we are finding that a hatchling dragon is far more powerful than a Godling. I always thought that a Godling would be a little stronger than a Hatchling dragon was wondering if you guys found to be the case.

It kind of depends. If you mean in terms of raw physical stats then yes Dragon Hatchlings are more powerful. Godlings can be much better magically/psionically though.

Do godlings have a maturity age like a dragon or do they just have no limit as to their level?

No limit, eventually they may gain enough worshipers to become a full fledged god.

I guess a God like Zues is like a level 500-1000 character.

actually, he is level 20 warlock, level 15 ley line walker and level 15 Warriror.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Talavar wrote:Godlings don't get an OCC, and that's not new to D-Bees of NA. They get 3 powers from the list, and the skills that follow. Demigods get one power and an OCC.

Does that sound like I'm saying godlings can take an OCC? Because they can't. Cannot. May not. Do not.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

walross1978 wrote:sorry talavar I agree with you as I currently treat godlings without an occ as stated in the pantheon of the megaverse, however It seems like there are some people who believe godlings get an occ also. I just wanted to hear the justification for godlings to have an occ.

They get confused with Demigods, which DO get to select an OCC.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Having had both in groups I'd say that they are about equal in over all power level. Though IMO the godling has more RP potential due to his ties to his pantheon and their dealings with other pantheons and the potential for assention to full godhood if the get 10,000 people to worship them.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Aramanthus
Monk

I've known GMs who loved to do that to their players. It makes a game interesting.

HH....FIE
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

With the rigth power combo the godling is more powerful than a hatchling. The godling even starts with is own rune weapon.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Aramanthus
Monk

The godlings can be very powerful starting out as started by the previous post!

HH....FIE
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

The Dragon. There is no guarantee that the godling will mature into a god,
while the hatchling will become a creature of great power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uvPXTDKwWM
Dragon for the win!
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

Whoa Whoa Whoa...an RCC race...like Godling may never ever ever choose an OCC? even after they've attained levels in their own RCC? so even if they became a level 5 Godling, they couldn't use the multi-class (I know theres no such thing or whatever don't remind me...I'm refering to the rules in High Seas) rules and switch to a Ley Line Walker?

A dragon for example is an RCC but you see various RCC dragon NPC's in rifters and "official" material that are LLW, Temporal Mages, Warriors, etc thats listed under their Experiance level. Soooo, how does it makes sense that no RCC is allowed to pick an OCC ever?

I understand that a being like a Godling or a Dragon might not need to switch to an OCC because they would rather rely on their own innate and natural abilities...but that shouldn't mean that they are incapable of taking an OCC...after all, OCC is simply a job that you learn or someone teaches you...saying that no RCC is allowed to take an OCC at all ever is like saying...hey, you may be a divine entity of some kind, but your incapable of learning anything at all.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Ahulane wrote:Whoa Whoa Whoa...an RCC race...like Godling may never ever ever choose an OCC? even after they've attained levels in their own RCC? so even if they became a level 5 Godling, they couldn't use the multi-class (I know theres no such thing or whatever don't remind me...I'm refering to the rules in High Seas) rules and switch to a Ley Line Walker?

A dragon for example is an RCC but you see various RCC dragon NPC's in rifters and "official" material that are LLW, Temporal Mages, Warriors, etc thats listed under their Experiance level. Soooo, how does it makes sense that no RCC is allowed to pick an OCC ever?

I understand that a being like a Godling or a Dragon might not need to switch to an OCC because they would rather rely on their own innate and natural abilities...but that shouldn't mean that they are incapable of taking an OCC...after all, OCC is simply a job that you learn or someone teaches you...saying that no RCC is allowed to take an OCC at all ever is like saying...hey, you may be a divine entity of some kind, but your incapable of learning anything at all.

Correct, by the rules an RCC cannot take OCC's ever. Logically? there is no logic, it's a balance rule only.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Chemisty wrote:On the other hand, as his special powers the godling could have the powers of 2 magic classes simultaneously, or mind-melter-level psionics.

The only advantage a hatchling could possibly have is more MDC. Godlings are in general better.

Or?

a Godling can have 2 magic classes AND mind melter level psionics. :)

Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Semisonic9 wrote:I've always preffered Demi-gods to Godlings, mainly for the RCC issue. Some variance there would be good.

As it is, you can get pretty munchy with Demi-Gods.

For instance:
Gunslinger OCC, Techno-Wizard powers (and a few skills)
Cyber-Knight OCC, LLW or LLR powers
Mind Melter OCC, Shifter Powers (aka "the Dominator!")
Shifter OCC with Ludicrous Mage powers

~Semi

How can you have innate techno wizard powers? You wouldn't have the skills needed to make anything, but you'd what - be able to cast spells at 1/2 strength, range & duration?

As to RCCs not getting an OCC, while it is generally a balance issue, it does make a kind of sense. Dragons, for instance, might be listed as being 10th level LLW and 10th level warlock, but they don't generally have all those skills that those 2 OCCs would get. Dragon hatchlings can start learning magic at 3rd level, but they only get the spell casting.

Though it's not explicitly stated in the books, I would see gods as a similar situation.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

walross1978 wrote:Can Godlings pick up any spell and learn it like a dragon? Or do the Godling just learn the spells like a mystic where at each level they learn all the spell of that level for the school of magic picked?

Both.

G
Adventurer

Stray thought...

Unread post by G »

In theory the dragon could also become a god wether they are an adult or a hatchling. I think the dragon is more powerful - they can also write a nice background if they like that would ensnare them in RP with a pantheon..or anything else.

From an RP perspective in RIFTS- anyone with enough worshippers can become a god. Which means a town of 10,000+ people could have a single defender - who is a god. Now that could be a fun town to encounter! Additional thought, call it Ficklegod town: if you manage to kill their god in single combat then you become their new god...thus anyone actually killing the god has reason to protect the town (to maintain their god powers). To protect their god this fact would not be known outside the town.

Another stray thought..Tolkeen is made up of city states..So the CS could encounter 1+ of these..how many towns in tolkeen have a population of 10,000+? Then again as the god is question you don't want your city dying. The god is more likly to put his town into an astral realm (or move it anywhere/when safe) to save everyone and keep all his worshippers alive & healthy.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Astral Pantheon
Adventurer

Unread post by Astral Pantheon »

I just have to mention: (max stat) Hatchling Dragon wouldn't stand much of a chance vs (a good rolled)/(best rolled could take out a dozen or more without trouble...it was done in our campaign :D ) Godling from PU2.

That brings a whole new dimension to the game.
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

I allowed a player to have a Godling that had an OCC in one of my games. he did not get any of the Godling RCC skills, only the natural abilities. I allowed it because of the premise that he came up with and worked on with me: his character had no idea that he was a godling. He was found as a toddler and raised in a community that was near Lazlo so they were used to seeing people develop strange abilities and such. He found that he had a natural affinity for magic, could fly and was also very strong. He used these abilities and became a Bounty Hunter (see Mercenaries).

I got to have total control over who his parent deities were and who might be after him because of it. It was cool.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

walross1978 wrote:sorry talavar I agree with you as I currently treat godlings without an occ as stated in the pantheon of the megaverse, however It seems like there are some people who believe godlings get an occ also. I just wanted to hear the justification for godlings to have an occ.

Think this goes back to the old main book saying select a R.C.C. and O.C.C.. Over time R.C.C. changed into Classes adding ability and more skills.

Personally I think you can just keep the natural abilities and drop the skills for the O.C.C. skills. Though you should come up with a background why like devjannz said.

Though I do know the rules say you can't.
Question: Is a Godling an O.C.C. or an R.C.C. and what book has the format for creating one? Also can they change O.C.C.or to an O.C.C. if Godling is an R.C.C. like changing to a Cosmo Knight?
Answer: It's a RCC, found in the Pantheons of the Megaverse book. They can't change around OCC/RCC.
The demigod, found in same book, can select a OCC though.

http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?t=79148

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”