Petrification

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lukterran
Adventurer

Petrification

Unread post by Lukterran »

I know Petrifaction says it changes mortal living creatures to stone. What is a mortal creature? Would a dragon qualify? They can die and have a limited life span. (Even if it is a long time, for thousands of years)

Secondly if someone was metamorphosed into a different creature with a spell (like a cat) and then petrified, would they then be a cat statue forever? Or would they return to their normal form when the spells duration ended, but remain stone.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Petrification

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Lukterran wrote:I know Petrifaction says it changes mortal living creatures to stone. What is a mortal creature? Would a dragon qualify? They can die and have a limited life span. (Even if it is a long time, for thousands of years)

Secondly if someone was metamorphosed into a different creature with a spell (like a cat) and then petrified, would they then be a cat statue forever? Or would they return to their normal form when the spells duration ended, but remain stone.

Palladium has three catagoris of beings:

Mortals
Creatures of Magic
Supernatural Beings.

Mortals are any race without inherent magical powers and a finite lifespan.
Creatures of Magic are all natural, living creatures that possess innate magical powers and possibly supernatural attributes.
Supernatural beings are not natural, they are either created by some form of magic (like a vampire), or spawned as part of some fundamental aspect of the megaverse (Such as Demons, Gods, and Spirits of Light).

It is possible, though approprite magic, for a mortal to become a creature of magic or supernatural being.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Dragon Hatchling - Supernatural
Dragon Juicer - Supernatural
Titan - Supernatural (my best guess, based on their status as giants, high PPE, long lifespan, SN physical strength).
Monster Slayer - Atlanteans cannot be transformed by any means.
Atlantean Undead Slayer - Atlanteans cannot be transformed by any means.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Yes, it does. Number 5 on the True Atlantean RCC (Atlantis page 16):
"Cannot be physically transformed by any means, including but not limited to the following: metamorphosis potions and spells, the transformation ritual, vampire transformation, petrification..."

Being "turned into something" is the same as being transformed.
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

AP78 wrote:

Mortals
Creatures of Magic
Supernatural Beings.

Creatures of Magic are all natural, living creatures that possess innate magical powers and possibly supernatural attributes.
Supernatural beings are not natural, they are either created by some form of magic (like a vampire), or spawned as part of some fundamental aspect of the megaverse (Such as Demons, Gods, and Spirits of Light).

It is possible, though approprite magic, for a mortal to become a creature of magic or supernatural being.

Thanks for explanation Nekira ... just would like to know if any of these would be considered Supernatural or creatures of Magic

Dragon Hatchling

Creature of Magic, as specified in World Book One

Dragon Juicer

Creature of Magic

Titan

Conversion Book One titan, creature of magic.

Conversion Book two Greek "Titan" that are greater than the gods? Supernatural being ;)

Monster Slayer
Atlantean Undead Slayer

Creatures of Magic.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
AP78 wrote:

Mortals
Creatures of Magic
Supernatural Beings.

Thanks for explanation Nekira ... just would like to know if any of these would be considered Supernatural or creatures of Magic

Dragon Hatchling

Creature of Magic, as specified in World Book One

Dragon Juicer

Creature of Magic

Titan

Conversion Book One titan, creature of magic.

Conversion Book two Greek "Titan" that are greater than the gods? Supernatural being ;)

Monster Slayer
Atlantean Undead Slayer

Creatures of Magic.

Why are adult dragons Supernatural and hatchlings only creatures of magic? The answer is they are both supernatural. You mention "World Book One", Nekira. Well thats vampire kingdoms and I cant find anything in ther about dragons. Where were you looking?

Dragon Blood Juicers have SN strength and Endurance, at minimum consider them Creatures of magic, maybe supernatural. Blame it on the supernatural blood :)

Titans, I'll reverse my position on this and drop them Creatures of Magic.

All atlanteas are immune to petrification, period, its in Atlantis under the RCC as I've pointed out.

Please in the future if your gonna site book references, site a page or at least a general starting point thanks!
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

EPIC wrote:having supernatural attributes or (funny enough) even being called supernatural by PB's official critter description does not mean that the critter is actually supernatural by PB's own definition of what supernatural is.

anything with innate magical abilities are creatures of magic ... fae, dragons and the like.

supernatural beings are immortal, come from another plane of reality and have a strong link to magic but do not neccessarily have magical abilities ... demons, devils and the like.

a dragon juicer is neither a creature of magic nor a true supernatural being. though i believe that weapons designed to harm creatures of magic or dragons may still work on them.

clear as mudd?

Ya I'm getting that :)
Its cool, Nekira has set me straight in another thread :D
Carl

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

asajosh wrote:Why are adult dragons Supernatural and hatchlings only creatures of magic?

Under the current definition, all dragons are Creatures of Magic, and are not in any way considered to be Supernatural Beings. See RUE, p. 276 and 277 for details. Also see the spell, Dessicate the Supernatural.

The only truly supernatural dragons are those that have ascended to godhood.

Dragon Blood Juicers have SN strength and Endurance,

Irrelevant. Supernatural Beings are now strictly defined (in Rifts and BTS, at least) as immortal, extradimensional beings who are normally incorporeal in our dimension, and must attach themselves to this world to gain a material form.

Supernatural attributes do not indicate that a particular being is supernatural or a creature of magic. In fact, there are numerous mortal, nonmagical beings who have supernatural strength, including Titan Juicers (Rifts); Aliens, Experiments, Mutants, and other superbeings (HU); Geniuses and Naturals (BTS & Nightbane), et al.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”