Soul Drinking Thought

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Soul Drinking Thought

Unread post by The Beast »

I had this thought run through my head earlier today. IIRC, beings with Multiple Lives and similar ways to come back from death can still have their soul drunk on the first try. My thought was instead of that, the person comes back to life, and the rune weapon realizes that one of its souls has escaped. This makes the weapon a little mad. Also, both the weapon and escaped soul can sense whenever they're near each other. Each time the soul escapes the weapon craves it that much more, until either the soul is finally drunk forever, or the weapon goes insane and twists its owner into fulfilling its obsession.

Anyway I was thinking that could be one way a good aligned rune weapon becomes evil. Any comments?
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

I would agree with EPIC.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

EPIC wrote:i would rule that a being with multiple lives or otherwise capable of returning from undeath cannot do so until their soul is released from the rune weapon. until that time they remain dead.

Sounds good. Couple questions: Short of a cauldron of destruction (somewhere in england, its a druid thing) how else can one destroy a rune weapon? And if destroyed, isn't all the components (intelligence, souls, etc) destoyed with it? It would make a cool quest thou to track down the weapon that ate a friend's soul, get it, then figure how to release the soul in question... :)

Perhaps use the alternative of letting the creature with multiple lives come back with a new soul, essentially no skills or memories, just natural abilities is all the reincarnated gets.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

i never really considered the soul to be trapped in the weapon after a soul drink attack, always just imagined it was completely devoured. i like this though it would make for a pretty cool side story. either the player drinks the soul or gets the weapon after the fact somehow, and has either the villain (multiple lives), or his minions (who are trying to get the soul back to bring him back to life), following him to the ends of the earth trying to get the weapon/soul back.

this is almost cool enough (imo) to introduce a soul drinker into my pf campaign...(i have only ever had/allowed one...take a guess which one :D )

my only question is what book are the rules for multiple lives in? sounds like heroes unlim powers to me...
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

asajosh wrote:
EPIC wrote:i would rule that a being with multiple lives or otherwise capable of returning from undeath cannot do so until their soul is released from the rune weapon. until that time they remain dead.

Sounds good. Couple questions: Short of a cauldron of destruction (somewhere in england, its a druid thing) how else can one destroy a rune weapon? And if destroyed, isn't all the components (intelligence, souls, etc) destoyed with it? It would make a cool quest thou to track down the weapon that ate a friend's soul, get it, then figure how to release the soul in question... :)

I think either Thor or Hercules from CB2 has a rune weapon that can do the job. There may also be a Rifter article or two with something about that in them. As for your second question, I don't really know a canon answer to it.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Your thinking of Odin.
Close tho :D
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Shadowmagic wrote:Being able to come back kind of defeats the meaning of the line: "A victim devoured by a Rune Weapon is forever lost." This is what is used in the description of Soul Drinking. If it were that easy to come back after a Soul Drinking attack, characters could simply be brought back by Resurrection spells or abilities, etc. If you you succumb to Soul Drinking you are gone.

It is never implied that the soul/life essence is stored intact in the Rune Weapon. It is devoured and may be broken down into any form of non-sentient matter or, even fully consumed by the Rune Weapon. When a soul is destroyed, a new one may be created but, I don't think this one is coming back...

Hmmm, good point, bummer. Maybe the Rune Weapon actually consumes the soul and there is nothing left to retrieve. :-(
Carl

t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

time to invent soul chamber weapons....

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”