PPE Batteries - where to find them

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

There's also the Talisman spell from the RMB.

And your friends.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Green Emeralds my man!
In the TW item creation rules, these are the stone techno-wizards use to store PPE in their devices so the users doesn't have to expend his own PPE or non-magical users can still have fun. Rules start in RUE pg 129. :ok:
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

If you want to get really nasty, there's the Faerie P.P.E. Battery from Splynn dimensional market, or the Book of magic pg.264

This one self charges, the 60 mil price tag may put you off however.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

sHaka wrote:If you want to get really nasty, there's the Faerie P.P.E. Battery from Splynn dimensional market, or the Book of magic pg.264

Oh those are sweet if you can pay for it!
Wish my Malvoren would consent to using magic goodies, a Fairy PPE Battery would anger one my fellow PCs no end (he's a Fairy Bot D-Bee from DBoNA)! In game his character and mine have a "tense" friendship so this would be a good for a laff (for my character anyway) :P
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Phadeout
Explorer

Unread post by Phadeout »

asajosh wrote:
sHaka wrote:If you want to get really nasty, there's the Faerie P.P.E. Battery from Splynn dimensional market, or the Book of magic pg.264

Wish my Malvoren would consent to using magic goodies, a Fairy PPE Battery would anger one my fellow PCs no end (he's a Fairy Bot D-Bee from DBoNA)! In game his character and mine have a "tense" friendship so this would be a good for a laff (for my character anyway) :P

Fairy Bot Dbee? Now I gotta get this book :-P
Phadeout

"Are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: PPE Batteries - where to find them

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Pyrineous the One wrote:I have heard people refer to PPE batteries in rifts, but I would like to know where to find information on them.

Thx

Arzno
elecgraystone
Adventurer

Unread post by elecgraystone »

asajosh wrote:

Fairy bots are not fairies any more. It shouldn't bother him any more that it being a "insert creature" battery.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

elecgraystone wrote:
asajosh wrote:

Fairy bots are not fairies any more. It shouldn't bother him any more that it being a "insert creature" battery.

It was mostly a joke.
I know Fairy Bot D-Bees aren't faires but...
Hes a small magical critter, faieres are small magical critters. I could silently point to the fairy in the jar and then to the fairy bot and give an evil grin :) I know FB D-Beses cannot be used to power devices, it'd be funny in game tho, keeping the spirit of veiled hostility alive between the two characters :)
Carl

elecgraystone
Adventurer

Unread post by elecgraystone »

asajosh wrote:It was mostly a joke.
I know Fairy Bot D-Bees aren't faires but...
Hes a small magical critter, faieres are small magical critters. I could silently point to the fairy in the jar and then to the fairy bot and give an evil grin :) I know FB D-Beses cannot be used to power devices, it'd be funny in game tho, keeping the spirit of veiled hostility alive between the two characters :)
Whatever works for you. :D
Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

There is also a list of TW items in one of the older rifters though I can't remember which one off hand.

TW Emerald Bracelet/anklet: 12 PPE (not sure on this one)
TW Emerald Ring: 10 PPE
TW Emerald Amulet: 20 PPE

The prices range anywhere from 5k to 13k if I remember correctly but are extremely rare.
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

U all forgot the Energy Sphere-100 P.P.E/lvl, in BoM, Federation of M-1st,
I allow 1/lvl, so an 8th level character would have 800X8=6,400 P.P.E!
I donno, but it does say if you can charge these at a LL/LLN-again Baron
von Munchousen! Most of the stuff here is a bit small... Spells of Legend
here we come!
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
Astral_Explorer
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Astral_Explorer »

Have a Techno Wizard with an Energizer, some wire and an emerald put the Energy Sphere spell into it for you.

Heck I can see this being the power source to some TW PA.
If it could be made to recharge on it's own at leylines even better.
Proud Member of the Coalition States Postal Service !!!

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

I think the rarity of PPE batteries is menat to reflect the fact that most TWs and other spell casters make these things for eachother, not us mere mundanes. They are not difficult to make, they just don't get made a whole lot. That and flooding the market with magic gear anyone can use will bring the CS and other anti-magic groups knocking on your door. Just my guess, but it's the only reason I can think of at the moment. :)
Carl

Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

It's the bolded part I have a problem with. As relatively inexpensive gear, there's no reason to say that they're that uncommon, imo. They're not rune weapons, they're pieces of rock and metal with a spell cast. They should be no more or less common than TW weapons.

It wasn't the fact that they were rune weapons, or that kind of quality of an item...its the fact that for the materials required to make them...emeralds costing no less than X amount of money plus a necklace, ring or what not made from certain materials...its figured into the cost of the item yes but its rather the availability of said materials. Also the fact that they provide free PPE to draw upon would make them a highly sought after set of items. Rare probably wasn't the best choice of words...more like their availability isn't all that great...the cost is fairly cheap (if your PC's have a stable income of some kind) considering that each item basically gives you a free lower level spell to cast in an emergency.

I think the rarity of PPE batteries is menat to reflect the fact that most TWs and other spell casters make these things for eachother, not us mere mundanes. They are not difficult to make, they just don't get made a whole lot. That and flooding the market with magic gear anyone can use will bring the CS and other anti-magic groups knocking on your door. Just my guess, but it's the only reason I can think of at the moment.

Thats pretty much it right there...if they flooded the market with inexpensive PPE enriched / rechargeable jewelry then you could expect that Splynncryth (spell check?) would be wearing enough to give him a couple thousand extra PPE since there was no limit to the amount of these items your allowed to wear.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

EPIC wrote:didn't PPE bateries used to be found in the original Rifts Rule Book? if i recall corectly they could be made by any Tech Wizard and could replace standard batteries for most anything. i believe they could also be used to store PPE for spells and what not.

or am i going crazy?

I think your thinking of the fact that most energy weapons can be converted to run off PPE instead of standard E-Clips.
Carl

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

One of my chars lives in high density populations and uses a modified energy sphere spell that she keeps in her hair. sence she goes clubbing alot, this style is not as odd as it otherwise to see glowing spheres in/about her hair/head. The size of her spheres are not the size of basketballs....she keeps them about the size of baseballs and golfballs.

EPIC wrote:didn't PPE bateries used to be found in the original Rifts Rule Book? if i recall corectly they could be made by any Tech Wizard and could replace standard batteries for most anything. i believe they could also be used to store PPE for spells and what not.

or am i going crazy?

The only strictly PPE batteries in the rifts main book were in the Taisman spell discription. It wasn't till later books did other forms of PPE batteries come into form.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The-Random-NPC wrote:Why does everyone use Emeralds? Diamonds can store PPE as well, (according to the RUE.) Not only that it stores double the PPE and costs 1000 credits less per carat then Emeralds. And if availability is the problem, they are both found in nearly the same places.

Becasue in one of the earlyer Rifters has Emeralds as easaly being made into PPE batteries.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

.. well i guess Drewkitty would know. he utilizes the Rifter Magazines for all his characters. he modifies them to fit the system ..

congrats to him ... but yeah .. Diamonds are also considered to be PPE battery storage units. there may be more outside of Earth in the vast expanses of the Multiverse .. thus would NOT be covered in any Rifter magazine .. and only by one's GM ...

so enjoy the green fire and the white fires of the polished and cut gemstones of emeralds and diamonds ... would pick diamonds first .. cause they go with everything .. emeralds are limited in color choices .. oh .. not thinking of accessorizing? .. oops .. my bad ...
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

or am i going crazy?

You're probably thinking of the TW converted batteries.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Diamonds & Emeralds both hold PPE. Diamonds being the more cost effective of the two.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

If you are good then you would want to look into TW items or gems that have been made to hold PPE.

If you are evil, well....that small child over there is a good source. *evil grin*
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”