Invented Spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

abe
Hero

Re: Invented Spells

Unread post by abe »

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:Since I couldn't find a spell to cheaply turn animals into mini-monsters for a TW device I had in mind, I created this Summoning spell:

Summon Shadow Kitten (Invocation)(6th Level)
Level: 6
...snip.

Found one Page three of Rifter 13.

Thank you. Now either a rival company can conjure up other critters to shoot at people, or I can field another critter-gun.

"BLAM! Platypus to the face!"

No Perry the platypus?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

That would be a conversion, and we don't do conversions.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Summon: Capture Slime

In a world not far from our own, but farther away then you could travel the path of magic there stepped sideways . They are more highly developed summoning magic in a way that you would think I was insane If I told you about even a fraction of what I know of it.

What, you really want to know? Okay I’ll tell you about One of their magic summonings. You know how the wizards have the spells carpet of adhesion & the Magic Net spells to immobilize individuals? The wizards...use talisman like card to work their magic through when using their summons magic. The wizards of the other world found a summon that can be bound to the magic card and through the magic binding it to the card It is changed into a useful form or augments them with spell like abilities. These summons, when first summoned look nothing much more than ordinary slimes. When the slime is bound to the summing card it gains the ability or form defined on the card. When bound to be a Capture Slime, when summoned from the card it is launched (or thrown) at a target of the Mage’s choice. Once it hits the target, the slime flattens out and flows into tentacles that wrap around the target. Holding the target in place.

But the thing about the ectoplasmic entity called slimes, they eat natural fibers. Whether it is plant fiber or some sort of hair or fur, they are its natural protein source. So you’d better hope that the teens you caught sneaking into the palace to crash the ball isn’t some Duke’s daughter. If it was , then it’s would of been better not to use the slime to detain her.

Slime cards will replace the normal spell card in the Card Mage’s normal selection of cards. (Using the number of active card is equal to the mage’s PE x Level.) Counting as two cards, while it contains a bound slime entity. The magic circles and writings for the card bind and modify the slimes that are bound within. There are slimes that spit fire, and ones that shock everyone within a certain distance of them when they discharge their magic. The slime summons only stay only while being used. After discharging their magic they return card till summoned again.

Capture Slime Card
NAR & SDC (of energized card): 52 SDC & NAR: 13.
Range: 30 feet + 5 feet per level of user.
Slime P.S.: 30.
Duration: 30 minutes +5 minutes per level of user.
SDC of slime: 20 (physical attacks pass right through slimes.)
PPE to make card: 70.
PPE for energizing the card and binding: 15 to energize & 25 to bind the slime.
PPE to use the card: 15. (after the duration has ended the user can maintain the effect for 1 PPE for every 3 minutes.)

Note: Card Magic is found in R24.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Summon: Capture Slime

Ouch....useful and good use of Rifter-introduced schools of magic, but I'm sure somebody out there will start calling it the 'Hentai Tentacle Card'...like I just did. :|
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Godiva’s Garb(Invocation)
Type: Invocation
Range: 15 ft +5 ft per level of experience
Duration: 25 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard
PPE Cost: 18
Effects:
This render’s the target’s clothing completely invisible, though not to themselves. The target of this spell will appear to be stark naked, though anything in their pockets(such as money or weapons) will appear to be floating next to their skin. The victim, however, will be blissfully unaware of their exposure, unless they happen to look in a mirror and see themselves nude. Besides the prank applications, this spell has been used for security screenings and physical examinations where undressing isn’t convenient or recommended(like in freezing conditions).
Does not affect body armor or magical clothing.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:Godiva’s Garb(Invocation)
..snip

It has been done. ;) :D

Emperor’s New Clothes
This spell causes the victim’s clothing/armor to turn completely invisible; down to their underwear(or INCLUDING their underwear, if so desired). The target can still feel the weight and texture of their clothing/gear, and still benefit from all protective values/qualities of their clothing; it’s just that it is now completely invisible.
The saving throw is for the victim; if the victim fails, they are unaware that to everybody else, they appear naked. A successful save means the victim now sees that his coverings have become completely transparent.
Note: Does NOT work on magically enhanced garments, magical armor, or power armor.
Level: 5
Type: SPELL/ Invocation
Range: Touch or 10 ft +2 ft per level of experience
Effects: Renders clothing completely invisible
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard for the victim to perceive the transparent state of their clothing
PPE Cost: 18

Besides, Godiva was just stripped of all signs of rank. Not doing the ride of shame, like Cerci did the walk of shame.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
..snip

I stand corrected.
Withdrawing it.
It happens. :wink:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
..snip

I stand corrected.
Withdrawing it.

Why? The other one was done by this guy that goes by taalismn. :angel:
I really don't think he will really mind it if you did a modern version of the spell.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
..snip

I stand corrected.
Withdrawing it.

Why? The other one was done by this guy that goes by taalismn. :angel:
I really don't think he will really mind it if you did a modern version of the spell.

Funny...It doesn't show up on my 'Already done' list of spells in my WP file....

Ah, there's the problem.

My apologies. I seem to have walked into an alternate universe where I did indeed post that spell. I just haven't noticed it until now...
Though I did begin to have suspicions when I caught the end of the night news, but I thought it was part of a comedy retrospective...You really elected that guy?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:...You really elected that guy?

Has had 3 1/2 years of that dream.

Seriously, put it back up. I was seriously just joking.
(or at least PM it to me.)
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Seriously, put it back up. I was seriously just joking.
(or at least PM it to me.)

Alright, alright...had to Heimlich the Redundancy Hound before he digested it..

And here's a new one for peer review.

Horde of Dentures(Invocation)(Ludicrous Magic)
Level: 7
Type: SPELL/ Invocation--Summoning
Range: 15 ft per level of experience
Saving Throw: None; dodge!
PPE Cost: 30
Effects: This spell summons up a horde of animated artificial teeth that look like sets of clakking dentures waddling along on tiny little feet. Each set has 25 SDC, Speed of 5, three attacks per melee, and does 1 SDC(or MDC depending on what the target is) on a bite. Up to six can be summoned per level of experience.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

*chuckles*
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Summon Slime Cards

Or Shortened to just Slime Cards, were made possible with he discovery of the ectoplasmic entities that are now called slimes. No one really knows if the slimes were discovered and now summoned or if they are created by the magic that portends to summon them. This question only really maters for the those devel into the Core of Magic. What the magic means the rest of us is that those of us that can control the slimes with the magic cards they are bound to, can create greater magic effects with less power. This is because we put in the power to create the cards and then to activate them. And, unlike with magic scrolls or gem magic, they are not consumed with use.

The basic construction of slime cards are different then that of the spell cards or other summon cards. For they do two things: the first to bind the slime to the card and the second is to change the slime into what is effectively a magic object that is used to cast our magic through. The inscribing of the binding magic is just 20 PPE. It is the turning the slime into a living magic item….(living…maybe it is, maybe it it just a collection of ectoplasm that has been a defined form and powers.) So what is the simplest spell that can be done with a slime as a magic object? To see magic? or maybe Light a fire? The simplest magic isn’t ether of these, it is to make things shine bright to see things in the light. As such to trans for the the slime into a light. There is a 10 PPE base cost for changing the slime into a magic item via the card. Making the card into a durable object when energized costs another 20 PPE.
If making a direct conversion, then add in three times the cost. This x3 the casting cost is to make the slime just make the spell being converted. However, if the design uses the basic form of the slime it will only cost between 1.2-2 times the casting cost.

Note that Slimes will eat all natural fibers that they come in contact with. As such it is impossible to use them in tailoring magic and with the mend fabric magic. (Oil based fibers are eaten just as well as plant fibers because they are carbon based.) This is one reason that most Slime Card Mages tend to sport a hairless style for their look.

The basic listing is for using their own blood in the ink that they draw-write out the the enchantment circles to hold the magic. These costs can be lowered by using special inks with rare components. Components like: gems, semi-precious stones, blood/bone/body parts of a Creature of Magic or supernatural being. Cards made by other Card Mages still cost double unless they come with an activation word. If the activation word is used by someone other than the creator then the Card cost 50% more to use.

Examples of the difference between 2md hand casting of spells through a slime and integrating the slime into the spell.

Light of the Sun Slime Card
Range: Floats within 10 feet of the card, Lighted area: 5 foot radius per level of user.
Duration: 3 minutes per level of user.
SDC of slime: 20
PPE to make card: 55
PPE to use the card: 1. The mage can continue the slime shining for 1 PPE per 3 minutes per level.
The Slime with his card is summoned forth and shines as brightly as the sun. This light will hold master vampires at bay out to 5 feet per level of the user. The slime can be pushed around with slaps of the hand. However, looking at the slime while it shines as the sun is like looking at the sun. The light will go farther out than the area it can prevent Vampires from entering. The Light of the Sun Slime Card, is concidered a Lighting Card because it uses the magic it light up an area.

Where as a…
Globe of daylight Slime Card
Range: near self, up to 30 feet away.
Duration: 3 minutes per level of user.
SDC of slime: 20
PPE to make card: 60.
PPE to use the card: 2.
When the Card Mage activated this card the slime appears near the mage and fades from sight as a Globe of daylight appears within 30 of the card. The spell ends at the end of the duration.

While some mages will make their slimes cast the traditional spells, most will create their cards to get the discounts afforded by using the slime directly in the spells. Like if they are trying to ’See’ something then the the Slimes are usually used like lenses to be looked through. Or like in the example, if they want to light up the area having the Slime be the source of the light. Or if the magic is an attack magic having the slime spit the attack magic at the target, or burst in an area effect attack. Or if it is sensing something having the slime drift towards what it was made to sense.

Most uses of a Slime Card the slime will automatically be drawn back into the card right then. And stays there till summoned to perform the same magic. However, with healing magic it is a bit different when there is extreme damage done to the subject. To heal a person that has major trauma done to them, the slime has to enter the subject’s body, ether through an orifice or a wound. The slime will pull together any wounds and hold them together till they heal. Strangely the results in the wounds healing without scaring. If organs are damaged, the slimes will replace the damaged parts with themselves, till new organ flesh grows into them. Once the body has healed itself, the slime dissipates, returning to the card. The Slime card that has been used for this extreme damage cannot be used again till the slime is back in the card. Because of their usefulness, sometimes Healing Slime cards are set to be triggered by a power word ( this add 30 PPE to the cost to make the card) that anyone can use if they have the PPE to power it.

Multiple Slimes in one card costs another 20 PPE to the cost of making the card. However, this only makes another slime available for the same spell/magic the card. So take the healing slime cards with 10 slimes in it would be able to treat 10 critically wounded people where are if there were only 1 slime bound tot he card could only treat one critically wounded person. To give another example, a Capture Slime Card, with multiple slimes could detain 10 people if it had 10 slimes bound to the card, while a Capture Slime Card with only two slimes could only capture two people.

Example of another detention card..

Bolo Slime Card
This slime card has the same intent as the capture slime card, to detain those captured. When shot at the person(s) to be detained it flattens out into a spinning disc and flys much like a frisbee most of the way. When it gets close, the slime sends out multiple 5 foot tentacles, that wrap around limbs and body parts so the target(s) wrapped up can’t run away. The nimble can avoid the tentacles by dodging somehow. This is a capture card.

Range: 40 feet + 7 feet per level of user.
Slime P.S.: 25.
Duration: 30 minutes +5 minutes per level of user.
SDC of slime: 20 (physical attacks pass right through slimes.)
PPE to make card: 70.
PPE to use the card: 15. (after the duration has ended the user can maintain the effect for 1 PPE for every 3 minutes.)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Seeing Cards
With these types of slime cards, the slime that appears can take many forms, a lens that floats in the air where the card mage wills it, or they take on the form of a monocle or a pair of spectacles. O if the mage is wearing a hat the slime will attach to the rim of the hat like a clear visor. What type of viewing lens the slime forms into much be defined during card creation. Seeing slimes can be handed off other once they have settled into form.

Slime of Reading Other Languages Card
The slime will allow the mage to read languages that are not their own for 10 minutes for every four PPE used to power the magic through the slime. However, the mage must be literate in at least one language for the translation magic to work. As the slime is used more and more it will be able move from direct literal translations to true translations.
PPE to make Card: 58.

Slime of Seeing the Unseen
The slime will let the mage see solid objects that are there but are unseen, and to see spirits, ghosts, and other otherwise unseeable beings and entities. The slime needs 4 PPE to show the unseen to the mage for 5 minutes, within 200 feet of the user.
PPE to make Card: 58.

Slime Card for Seeing Magic Power
With this Slime card the slime lets the mage see the flow of magic around them and the relative amounts of magic that are in people, and other beings down to 5 PPE, out to 100 feet of the user. If there is magic actively being cast it will show up as a halo about the caster and target, with the caster being the brighter of the two until the magic is cast. If there is magic continuing to work its effects in an area, the mage will be able to see it is there. Even thou the magic does not tell the mage what sort of magic the active magic is.
PPE to make Card: 60

Seeing Auras Slime Card
When the mage wants to see auras of the living things around her, she will turn to this slime card. It will show the Mage a kaleidoscope image of all the living things around her. It takes time for the mage to develop the skill to read the patterns she is seeing. but at bare minimum the mage will know about what she is seeing will be the same as the normal spell and psi power that looks at the auras of living things. Magic items will have their own aura, the mage looking one them will be able to differentiate between normal magic items, rune objects and holy objects. Read the Kaleidoscope: 20% +5% per level. This skill must be taken to be able to read deeper meaning of the visual information. The Kaleidoscope gives readings about what is within 100 feet of the user, for a whole minute per 12 PPE used.
PPE to make Card: 62
taalismn
Priest

"We've been slimed." :P

Programmable ectoplasm is a fascinating idea...
Now I wonder...how 'Intelligent' can you make the stuff?
If you can 'program' it, is it possible that such already takes place in the psychic 'wild'? We know ghosts exist, and there arguably free ectoplasm that's been imprinted by strong emotion/psychic impact.
But seriously, it would interesting seeing a take on an 'Invisible ecology', in this case ectoplasm imbued with rudimentary (animal) intelligence, and promptly put in harness through the device of cards.
Suggests a whole new field of ectoplasm-related applications, from 'dislike you cards' that punch out the reader when the (greeting) card is opened, to more intelligent and utilitarian apps such as handyman cards that can, when activated, carry out simple labor tasks.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Attack Slime Cards
These typically come in two styles, spitting elements as a ranged attack or an area burst magics. Most of the ranged magics are able to be spat 100 feet +5 feet per level. With the only saving throw being to dodge the elemental effects. Area burst magics tend to be 20 feet across.

Sensing Slime Cards
With these cards, the slime manifests an d ether drifts in the direction of what is type of thing being sensed or trans formed into a pointing shape that points towards what is being sensed for.

Shading/Dark Slime Spells, are those spells that cause there to be an area of shadow or darkness.

Changing Slime Cards, change a physical aspect of the target of the spell. Changing the weight more or less, making the target smaller or bigger, changing the target’s coloring. typically each cards can only effect the target negatively or effect it positively.

Other divisions in Slime Cards follow the core effects. Other core effects are: Pretending, Shocking/breaking chi/breaking concentration, Frightening, Warning, Hiding, Repelling, Protecting, Sustaining (the physical body), Traveling, Binding, Deceiving, Skills (boost, penalizing, transferring), Stronger/Faster, Controlling Others, Nulling Other’s Magic, Changing Shapes, Silencing/Louder, Making Space, Making Tools, Control Natural Events, Finding/Making Friends, Making Links, and Empowering & Draining.

Most spells will have their core ideas within one of these divisions.
(Yes, I acknowledge that there are some that fall into more than one, and that there are some that don't fall into any of the above. Use your brain to best effect to think of a best fit. This might take to wait till you can see what funkyness turns up during the writing to decide which type it falls into.)

As the person who wrote these up... I seriously suggest that if there is no funkyness in the spell Don't Write It As a Slime Card Spell. Just make a regular spell card. These are to add character to the Mage, sort of like some of the Spell caster flaws found in the TtGD NB gamebook or that Rifter that has more.

The last Card Type is ether normal Magic Cards or Slime Cards. While it is possible for Player Characters to possess or make them, it is an irresponsible GM that lets the PC have them in his or her game. Every Card of this type is UNIQUE!!!! and should have a dangerous story to go with it. Whether the story is of the maker going through to make the card and the enemies made in the process, or the story is of the people trying to get it or trying to prevent anyone from getting it. So the player who wants their character to make one of these cards will have ether doomed whatever party they join to a world of "" adventure "" (aka pain in the keister.) Both the ones that adventure with him to gather the components, and the ones that party with him because of all the enemies trying to ether get revenge or just get the card.

The McGuffin Card Type.

To give an example
(I've omitted/didn't write up certain aspects of it for GM'y reasons.)

Dazed and Confused in Cair Itom (McGuffin Slime Card)
There is only one mage in the known world that is able to make this card. Because of aspects of the spell imbedded in this card, the card mage hides his, or her, identity quite well to evade even the royal investigators. There have been many of them that have, after waking up days later riding in a slave cart headed away from the capital. At the core of the magic is a metamorphosis spell that turns the customer into the opposite gender and different race, as well as setting up a new, temporary, personality for the durations of the magic. While under the influence of this magic they don’t remember who they were, but afterwards they will remember everything that happened normally, mostly. The customer pays up-front 2,000 to 5,000 gold pieces upfront along with a sample of their blood. The customer is told that the blood sample is for making a magic item that only they can use. To a point this is correct. To bypass the normal protections the soul have verse being tampered with, the card essentially tricks the soul into thinking the customer is casting the spell on themself, even though the card mage is providing the magic power.

What essentially happens is the the slime covers the customer with itself and changing the customer into a new humanoid form. Then a second Slime enters the customer while the transformation is taking place and takes over the personality centers of the customer’s brain and then, after they get dressed in gender appropriate clothes, they go out on the town to do some ‘slumming’.

The reason the Royal Investigators have gotten involved is that one of the Emperor’s favorite nieces tried it out and now is missing. (The truth behind this is that the emperor’s niece found out that he wanted to marry her off to an old count from the eastern edge of the empire, and ask the provider to give her a new body and skills set to be able to survive not having the pamperer life of a noble brood cow. It has been three years since then and has become quite a card mage to rival her master at staying unknown as her master has. Keeping to her new body most of the time so the link between body parts like hair and other is cut or masked. Her master, the one that developed this spell combination is a nightstalker dragon with a skewed sense of treasure. For all the blood samples, the the parts left over from in the making of the Cards, go into a stasis bank/vault for use later. Like giving herself the form of the customer she wants to frame for theft or something worse.
Duration: the customer’s P.E. hours times two. Two hours before the ending of the spell the customer’s temporary personality will know it’s time is about to end and head to a pre-determined spot where there is a change of clothes waiting for the customer.
taalismn
Priest

Dazed and Confused in Cair Itom (McGuffin Slime Card)

Ouch....Disguise AND Grand Theft Body all in one.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

need some help with the PPE cost...

Level 13 Chi Magic spell
Transmute Into Being of Pure Chi (Unique)
Range: Self/other by touch.
Duration: three days per level of caster.
Saving Throw: standard save vs magic for unwanted bespelment.
PPE Cost: ???

When cast on oneself or another by touch this magic changes the chaster’s/effected’s body into a pure chi body of the type of chi they are filled with. The char will have a chi body with their current chi +HPx3 and +SDC scores added to the current chi. Both the transformed caster and the transformed other have both the abilities and weaknesses of chi beings. The Chi cost for this spell must be the same polarity of the transformed.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn
Priest

Adhesion(Minor)
Level: 3
Range: Self or other by touch
Saving Throw: None
PPE Cost: 4
Effects:
This spell causes the limbs to take on the adhesive characteristics of a gecko foot or moelcular adhesion pad, allowing the person to stick to just about anything, and climb like a spider. Gravity still has an effect on the person, though, so they must still cling or hang from sufficient grip points to support their weight(no running up walls, for instance).

Adhesion(Major)
PPE Cost: 7
Effects:
Same as for the Minor version, only the person can now support their own weight perpendicular to gravity, and hang upside down without ill effect. This means that the person can run up walls at their maximum running speed, rather than climb up them at a slower pace.

Playback(Invocation)
Range: 10 ft per level of experience for the point of playback
Duration: Plays for 3 minutes per level of experience. The recording itself can be held for 24 hours per level of experience.
PPE Cost: 12
Effects:
An auditory illusion spell, Playback allows the mage to pre-record sounds or speech to be played back later. The point of origin of the played-back sounds can also be projected, like ventriloquism.
If the Mage has a Perfect Recall psionic ability or memory magic spell(like Memory Bank), they can use sounds they have heard drawn from their memory and transpose them on the Playback spell.
Playback can be used to record 3 minutes of sound per level of experience.

Optical Displacement(Invocation)
Range: Displaces the target’s image 10 ft per level of experience
Duration: 4 minutes per level of experience
PPE Cost: 5
Effects:
This spell is a limited form of invisibility. Instead of rendering the person unseeable, it instead shifts their image at a distance, line of sight, from them. So, while they cannot be seen in their real location, their image can be seen some distance away, doing what they are currently doing, but at a remove.

Dispel Illusions(Invocation)
Range: 15 ft per level of experience
Duration: Instant and permanent
Saving Throw: The illusion being dispelled gets a standard saving throw, plus any bonuses from the illusion-caster’s spell strength.
PPE Cost:15
Effects:
This spell works in similar fashion to Negate Magic, but works only on illusionary spells. Because magic illusions have less ‘substance’ that other spells, the cost to disrupt them is less, but the spells do get a saving throw(with bonuses from the original spellcaster’s spell strength.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I like the Adhesion spells. About time a mage cold do what supers can only with a spell and not powers. Nice.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I like the Adhesion spells. About time a mage cold do what supers can only with a spell and not powers. Nice.

Thanks...I know there's a Climb spell, but nothing like Spider Climb from D&D, and that would be SO useful. So I checked and I checked, and yet to the best of my knowledge, nobody else had done an adhesion spell(maybe because everybody jumps to Fly Like an Eagle?).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Conversational Digression(aka Flabert’s Flapping Gums)(Invocation)
Level: 4
Range: 80 ft +10 ft per level of experience.
Duration: 15 minutes per level of experience.
PPE Cost: 10
Effects:
Cast on a talking person, this compels them to lose focus in the conversation, and begin going off on tangents, meandering off-topic, losing sequential order to events they’re trying to relate, and getting so off the point that listeners can be trapped in a long, drawn-out discussion or rather monologue. Unlike the Lost for Words spell, the speaker -CAN- relate useful information, it’s just that it takes a LONG time for them to get around to actually telling it(the spell duration is a good indication of how long it generally takes for the person to get around to actually saying what it is they meant to say at the onset of the conversation). A simple set of instructions becomes a long soliloquy on the virtues of personal hygiene or a verbal tour of the speaker’s childhood as derails of the original line of conversation. To listeners this is just generally boring and annoying, or frustrating if they urgently need some information from the targeted person. For the victim, the aftermath of the spell can leave them fatigued, sore, hoarse, and embarrassed for what they might have said under the magic’s influence.

Synesthesia(Invocation)
“I can taste...BLUE!
Range: 10 ft per level of experience.
Effects:
Synesthesia is a condition in which sensory stimuli interpretation seems to get crosswired in the brain, so sounds, smells, tastes, tactile sensations, and sight seem to have distinctive other stimuli associated with them. Rather than the mild cases that some individuals are born with, this spell endows the victim with a more intense case of it; swapping their sensory inputs and interpretation around and producing all manner of bizarre sensations and experiences; a friend’s shout becomes a pins and needles feeling all over the listener’s body, looking at a wall of a particular color generates a flood of flavor in the mouth, an odor becomes a blinding riot of color. This can be very distracting(‘Wow! The sounds! They’re FUZZY”)(-1d4 on initiative, and lose 1 APM), but it can also be useful in pattern recognition(+2 to Perception, +5% to Detect Ambush/Detect Concealment skills) and the person will be more easily able to detect things such as imitated/false voices/noises if they’ve heard the original before(the imitation may not ‘taste’ or ‘feel’ right). Ludicrous Mages LOVE to cast this spell on themselves and others, claiming it helps in ‘brainstorm jams’ .

Transfer Curse(Minor)
(Invocation)
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent(or until the curse runs its course)
Saving Throw: The new host of the curse can, if they wish, refuse to take the curse, in which case they save as standard. Animals save at -4.
PPE Cost: 15
Effects:
This spell attempts to remove a Minor curse by transferring its focus to another living being, usually an animal or a volunteer. The mage touches the cursed person with one hand and the intended new host of the curse with the other, while chanting the required spell.
The caster’s chance of success is modified by the difference in spell strength between the original caster of the curse and the caster attempting to transfer it. So if a mage with a +1 to spell strength is attempting to move a curse afflicted by a mage with a spell strength of +3 then the transfer is made with a penalty of -2.
There is no limit to the number of times a mage can attempt to move a curse, but after four failures in a row, a fifth attempt (and failure) results in the curse being transferred to the mage instead. Save versus magic or both the original host and the transferring mage get identical curses.
The caster can attempt to use this spell to move Major Curses, but the attempt is at an additional -2 to succeed.

Transfer Curse(Major)(Ritual)
Level: 9
Type: Ritual
Duration: Permanent(or until the curse runs its course)
Saving Throw: The new host of the curse can, if they wish, refuse to take the curse, in which case they save, but at -3.
PPE Cost: 60
Effects:
This is a more involved attempt to remove a powerful curse by moving it to another living being. Unlike Minor curses, Major curses can ONLY be moved to another intelligent being, and not animals. This spell requires a ritual, with the caster standing between two linked magic circles, one holding the cursed individual, and the other the intended new host of the curse.
As with the Minor version of this spell, the caster’s chance of success is modified by the difference in spell strength between the original caster of the curse and the caster attempting to transfer it. So if a mage with a +1 to spell strength is attempting to move a curse afflicted by a mage with a spell strength of +3 then the transfer is made with a penalty of -2.
There is no limit to the number of times a mage can attempt to move a curse, but after three failures in a row, a fourth attempt (and failure) results in the curse being transferred to the mage instead. Save versus magic or both the original host and the transferring mage get identical curses.
The caster can attempt to use this spell to move Curses of Legend(such as afflicts the Invalians), but the attempt is at -8 to succeed.

Summon Thunderstorm(Invocation)
Level: 12
Range: Immediate area around the mage or up to 2 miles away. Covers a 2,000 ft radius per level of experience.
Duration: 15 minutes(100 melees) per level of experience
PPE Cost: 240(Air Elemental Warlocks and Fusionists cast it at HALF PPE cost)
Effects:
This spell summons a powerful thunderstorm, complete with driving rain and violent lightning. Rain will fall at a rate of 6 inches an hour. Unlike Call Lightning spells which are directed energy attacks, Summon Thunderstorm bolts are random and less powerful, but there’s more of them during the duration of the storm. Summon Thunderstorm produces a shorter duration atmospheric disturbance than the proper 13th level Summon Storms, but the effects are arguably more violent.
For every melee caught in the storm, there’s a 20% chance that people will get zapped by a random bolt of lightning(1d6 MD); this chance rises +20% if the target is clad in metal, and another +15% if the target is taller than any other object in the vicinity.

(courtesy of a suggestion by Stone Gargoyle)

Fists of Light(Invocation)
Level: 8
Range: Self or others by touch
Duration: 15 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: Special(see below)
PPE Cost: 28
Effects:
This spell creates brightly glowing gauntlets that allow the wearer to do damage to creatures of supernatural evil, including witches and necromancers. The shining gauntlets add an extra die of damage to hand to hand melee attacks(so if the character’s punches normally do 2d4 damage, they get a +1d4), and can do damage to evil supernatural creatures and beings normally immune to physical attacks(punch out that evil ghost!). Supernatural evil beings susceptible to sunlight/bright light take extra damage as normal.
Damage will be appropriate to what the target is, so if the target is an MDC monster, the gauntlets translate the wearer’s fist damage into megadamage. If the target is an SDC mage, the target gets slugged for the appropriate amount of SDC. This effect wll NOT work through armor(so if an SDC mage is wearing MDC armor, the Monk of Light punching him will not do megadamage to the mage’s body armor). The gauntlets also cushion the wearer’s hands, so punching the evil dragon will not break the attacking street rat’s knuckles.
Targets must save versus magic every time they are struck by the gauntlets. On a save they take NO damage, aside from any from the actual fists of the wearer(so if the wearer does megadamage normally with their punches, a monster would take normal damage from the strike, if they could be damaged by such. On the other hand, if the mage is an SDC being who normally does only SDC damage, and the target is a megadamage monster, the target takes NO damage at all).
Note, none of the above bonuses apply to handheld weapons, even if they are wielded in the gauntleted hands. Nor do do they do extra damage of any sort to supernatural beings of Light/Good.
The light cast by the gauntlets is bright enough to illuminate a room, but not blindingly so.
Ordinary evil-alignment beings will only take the wearer’s normal punch damage from attacks, no other effects.
Those struck with the gauntlets will suffer glowing wounds that glow for 1d6 minutes after each strike.

Touch of Darkness(Invocation)
Level: 8
Duration: 15 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: Special(see below)
PPE Cost: 36 (HALF cost to necromancers)
Effects:
Created by evil mages in retaliation for the creation of the spell Fists of Light, Touch of Darkness is similar in many respects, but is significantly different enough to warrant a separate description.
Touch of Darkness generates dark, long-clawed gauntlets over the wearer’s hands, giving them a monstrous look. The claw-gaunts are cold to the touch. Light seems to blur and dim around them, making them hard to see in combat(-1d4 to parry/dodge). The claws do extra damage to beings of supernatural Good/Light.(+1 extra die of damage)
Similar to the Fists of Light spell, the wearer’s melee strikes do SDC/MD damage as appropriate to the target, and the wearer’s hands are protected from damage.
Ordinary good-aligned beings are susceptible to the darkness-blurring effect of the claw-gaunts; besides the blur-action and extra damage, those struck with Touch of Darkness must make a save versus their magic or be struck with sudden sensitivity to light; exposure to sunlight(and Globe of Daylight spells) will cause exposed skin to redden and blister, soft tissues like lips to crack and bleed, and eyes will become acutely sensitive to glare and bright light(not just sunlight); -8 to strike, parry, and dodge in bright light without eye protection. Victims must also roll under their ME or be -1 on initiative, perception, strike, dodge, and parry due to the itching/burning sensations from sunlight exposure to exposed skin. This photosensitivity lasts 4 melees per level of experience.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Taalismn caught an omission in this spell which would denote how many buns are created. So I edited it as follows:

Baker Magic Level Nine

Hot Cross Buns
Range: Touch; prevents approach of vampires and werecreatures for 50 foot radius, shoots fire for 100 feet, releases garlic cloud which affects vampires and werecreatures for a 50 foot radius
Duration: One hour per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard for vampire vs. detection, none to prevent fire from striking, save vs.poison against garlic
P.P.E. cost: Fifty-Five
These garlic buns are created in the shape of a cross (a minimum of six in order to form the cross. One at the center, four points forming the cross and one more to lengthen the bottom) which can be mounted on a wall and will act as a ward against vampires and werecreatures. Chance of detection is 30%, plus 5% per caster level, which can be rolled once per melee round while the creatures are in range. If it detects them within 100 feet, the buns will shoot a bolt of fire doing 1d6 damage per caster level at the target detected. If not, they will be able to come within 50 feet but will have to save against poison gas (14 or better, PE bonus applies) or take 1d4 damage for every melee round within the range of the buns, plus 1d4 melees following.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Taalismn caught an omission in this spell which would denote how many buns are created. So I edited it as follows:

Baker Magic Level Nine

Hot Cross Buns.

Resizing the cookie sheet accordingly. Thanks. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Edge Dancer(Spell)(aka ‘Pin Dancer’)
Type: Spell
Range: Self or others, 10 ft per level of experience.
Duration: 10 minutes per level of experience
Effects:
This spell allows the subject of the spell to safely stand or handstand on points that would be otherwise impossible for them to do, such as the sharp ridge of rooftops, tight ropes, or the points of spires, spears, or blades. As long as the underlying structure can handle the person’s weight, the enchanted person can stand or walk with perfect balance on it as if they were standing on level ground. The person can walk on spear tips and sword blades, glide across razor-wire, fall and catch themselves on punji sticks , and run across rocky dagger-crags barefoot without injury or fear of falling off.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:Edge Dancer(Spell)(aka ‘Pin Dancer’)
Effects:
This spell allows the subject of the spell to safely stand or handstand on points that would be otherwise impossible for them to do, such as the sharp ridge of rooftops, tight ropes, or the points of spires, spears, or blades. As long as the underlying structure can handle the person’s weight, the enchanted person can stand or walk with perfect balance on it as if they were standing on level ground. The person can walk on spear tips and sword blades, glide across razor-wire, fall and catch themselves on punji sticks , and run across rocky dagger-crags barefoot without injury or fear of falling off.

This sorta sounds like what 'Chi weight control' was suppose to do.
very good
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Edge Dancer(Spell)(aka ‘Pin Dancer’)
Effects:
Cool. So you're saying my mage shouldn't waste a skill slot on gymnastics or acrobatics, just use a spell instead.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[Cool. So you're saying my mage shouldn't waste a skill slot on gymnastics or acrobatics, just use a spell instead.

Well, those skills get lots of physical bonuses useful for more than staying balanced on high wires, but if all you're doing is standing atop spires and dancing barefoot on razor blades...yeah....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:[Cool. So you're saying my mage shouldn't waste a skill slot on gymnastics or acrobatics, just use a spell instead.

Well, those skills get lots of physical bonuses useful for more than staying balanced on high wires, but if all you're doing is standing atop spires and dancing barefoot on razor blades...yeah....

Don't mock my mage's hobbies. But seriously, would the spell also work for walking on hot coals? Maybe he could put together a street performance or something,
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[
Don't mock my mage's hobbies. But seriously, would the spell also work for walking on hot coals? Maybe he could put together a street performance or something,

No. It basically redistributes one's weight 'footprint' with regards to surfaces smaller than your foot. I suppose I should create a spell that lessens one's weight footprint with regards to surfaces SOFTER/less dense than one's feet('Swamp-Dancer' maybe?).
For walking on coals, or red hot girder ends for that matter, though, an existing spell like Resist Fire or Impervious to Heat would work better, This spell might allow you to better handle sharp-edged rocks In the fire pit, but wouldn't protect from the heat.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Summon & Control Dust Bunnies(Invocation)
Range: Touch or 10 ft per level of experience
Duration: 1 hour per level of experience
Effects:
This spell allows the caster to summon up and direct dust bunnies. The caster ideally must be in an environment characterized by lots of dust or at least plenty of dry filth from which the DBs can constitute themselves(cannot summon dust bunnies in a laboratory clean room or sewage settling tank, for instance).
Can summon 10 dust bunnies per level of experience.
There is a 10% chance of summoning/creating RABID dust bunnies.

(Reposting the stats for Dust Bunnies for convenience)
Alignments: Anarchist
Lifespan: 10 years
Size:4-10 inches wide and weigh less than a pound
Gender: Hermaphrodites who breed litters of 4-6 offspring 2-4 times a month.
Physical Description/Appearance:
A flattened spheroid of dark hair and dust, with two glowing red or yellow eyes.
A gestaltic Dust Golem is a smokey-gray-black humanoid roughly eight feet tall with two large glowing red eyes, looking like an animated smog-doll.
Disposition/Attitudes:
Normally pretty passive, they can turn ornery when cornered/threatened.
Physical Attributes:
IQ: 1d4(low animal)
ME: Not Applicable
MA: Not Applicable
PS: 1
PP: 1
PB: 1d4
PE: 2d6
SPD: 4d6
(ISP): Not applicable
(PPE): 1d6
Hit Points: 1d6
SDC: 1d6
MDC:-----
Horror Factor: Individual FDBs have NO H.F....Groups of 10 or more have H.F. 8, and Dust Golems have an H.F. of 13
Natural Abilities:
Immune to Mind Control(magic and psionic) and most Psionic abilities
Nightvision---Can see perfectly fine in total darkness
Bite---Feral Dust Bunnies bite for 1 SDC
RABID Dust Bunnies on the other hand have a dirty bite that can infect a victim; a person bitten must roll versus non-lethal poison AND insanity or become infected with a general malaise of the spirit that causes them to lose interest in residential hygiene(they don’t pick up after themselves, fail to vacuum regularly, and pretty much let their place of residence go to seed) that becomes a matter of personal hygiene(don’t shave, shower, or change clothes regularly), and ultimately becomes a mental illness(character becomes depressed and susceptible to fatigue; -1 to initiative, parry, and dodge, fatigues twice as fast. -10% to all skills, and is -1 to save versus psionic attack and mind control. May or may not take up alcoholism(50% chance)or substance abuse(30% chance) unless intervention is taken. The malaise can be cured magically, or by the simple expedient of wiping out the FDB nest in the vicinity of the victim(will recover in 1d4 days).

*Dust Golem----When FDBs form a Dust Golem, their pooled life-energy forms a gestalt creature with greatly enhanced supernatural properties. They can maintain this collective form for as many minutes as the collective golem has members(4d4x10...never less than 40 members) before they have to pull apart again(but can reform again in 1d6 melees....Golem collectives frequently pull apart to squeeze through opening and air vents to reform on the other side).
-7-8 feet tall
-Supernatural P.S. of 20(can perform megadamage melee attacks; 3d6 SDC on a restrained punch, 1d6 MD on a punch, 2d6 MD on a 2 APM power punch)
-1d6x10 MDC
-Regenerates 2d6 MD per minute(TRIPLE that in extremely dusty/filthy environments)
-Physical attacks(punches, kicks, concussion blasts, bullets, and other projectiles) do HALF damage
-Speed of 5d6
-Has 6 actions/attacks per melee, +2 to strike, +5 Dodge
-Can cast the following spells up to 6 times per 24 hour period, each at 6th level proficiency/duration;
-Dust Storm
-Smothering Cloud(similar to the spell Miasma, except that it also clogs air filters)
-Cloud of Smoke
-Darkness
Vulnerabilities:
*Bright Light---Feral Dust Bunnies shun bright lights

*Fire-Fire-based attacks do DOUBLE damage

*Wind--Because of their light weight, wind-based attacks do no extra damage, but will knock FDBs around twice as far/long, and they can easily be sucked up by vacuums. Dust Golems are also susceptible to wind and vacuums; using a vacuum cleaner on them(must be in physical contact with them) does 1d4 MD per action/attack of contact as the Golem’s cohesion is threatened by the suction. The individual dust bunnies aren’t destroyed; just pulled apart and contained.

*Static Repulsion Fields---Feral Dust Bunnies can be controlled quite handily by dust repulser fields

Psionics: None
Magic:
*Shadowmeld(no cost)

Skills:
Prowl 98%
Climbing 98%
Actions/Attacks Per Melee:
Individual FDBs have 1 action per melee, +4 to dodge
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Are Dust Bunnies your creation or from somewhere else?
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Are Dust Bunnies your creation of from somewhere else?

Mine, all mine.

Sewing Magic Spells for Stone Gargoyle’s Tailor Mage

Comforter(Invocation)
Duration: Permanent
PPE Cost: 12
Effects:
This spell endows a blanket or pillow with a mild standing empathic projection charge. The item feels warm to the touch(though it doesn’t show any actual change in temperature) and gives off an aura of love, safety, and comfort. Those suffering from depression will have a +2 to save vs Insanity, and have untroubled sleep(+2 save vs empathic projection and nightmare-inducing powers/spells), as long as they are touching the item. A favorite spell of nurturer-style tailor and hedge mages.

Thread Animation(Invocation)
PPE Cost: 14
Effects:
This spell allows the Tailor Mage to endow sewn designs with simple animation, like a flat foldable video screen. The mage can create simple video-like images that move and even depict stories or events as long as they don’t run over the duration of the spell. The display can run 2 melees(30 seconds) +1 melee per level of experience and costs no additional PPE to activate(and can even be set to loop-play), though the garment so decorated will have a permanent PPE trace.

Blood Silk(Invocation)(aka ‘Blood Threading’)
PPE Cost: 14, and 8 to renew
Effects:
This endows a light fiber or fabric like linen or silk to automatically become a clotting bandage in the presence of fresh blood. Typically applied to the linings of jackets, pants, or dresses, blood silk reacts to injuries by binding to the wound, restoring 2d6 SDC instantly, and preventing a further 1d6 SDC of damage per melee from bleeding. This can be used once(it won’t react as effectively to a second melee of new damage), though the blood silk can be renewed/reset with a further application of 8 PPE/16 ISP as a ‘maintenance charge’.

More Baking Magic(after the Baker Magic by Stone Gargoyle)

Yeast Blast(Invocation)
Level: 2
Range: 50 ft, and produces 50 cubic feat of gooey, seething, yeastt per level of experience.
Duration: 3 minutes per level of experience
PPE Cost: 6
Effects:
This spell causes a nearly explosive bloom of yeast-mass to bubble up and fill a space of roughly 50 cubic feet per level of experience. The blast does no damage in itself, but the doughy mass obstructs vision and hampers movement; -6 to strike, parry, dodge, roll, and entangle, and reduce Speed by HALF.

Rolling Pin of War(Invocation)
Range: Up to 200 ft away
Duration: 1 minute per level of experience
Saving Throw: Dodge
PPE Cost: 20
Effects:
Arguably one of the few combat-related Baking Magic spells, this invocation produces a giant rolling pin 1.5 ft in diameter, 4 ft+1 ft per level of experience wide, that rolls at speed(equiv. to 30 MPH), flattening just about anything in its path. Those unable to get out of its way(by dodging to the side or leaping over it) take 3d6 SDC or 1d4 MD(in MD realms) from the impact, and there’s a 30% chance of being knocked down(and the rolling pin doing an additional 3d6 SDC/1d4 MD as it rolls over the victim.
While it has a very practical use of rolling out large amounts of dough, it is equally as handy at knocking down opponents.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Great,Not only making spells that are Offensive or Defensive but movement and utility,s ones too,
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Thanks for the additions to my areas of magic, T. All of them were very well done.
taalismn
Priest

I seem to be on a magic jag right now....maybe because while I'm (temporarily) stymied on the details of a few big and powerful ones, I'm finding it's easier to complete a lot of littler ones.

Skywrite(Invocation)
Range: 1,000 ft+100 ft per level of experience
PPE Cost: 60 PPE. HALF for Air Elemental Warlocks and Cloud Magic mages
Effects:
This spell allows the caster to create words or simple pictures out of clouds and set them in the sky. Can create 20 letters per level of experience, and each letter can be 100 ft wide/tall per level of experience. The letters will stay legible and in place in the sky regardless of weather conditions until the caster dispels them or the magic runs out. Magical weather spells, such as Wind Rush, CAN disrupt/destroy them if they are within range.

Stone Fist(Invocation)
Type: SPELL(Invocation)
Duration: 1 minute per level of experience
PPE Cost: 6, 9 w/ stone spikes (Costs 4/6 PPE for Earth Eelemntalists and Earth Fusionists)
Effects:
This spell covers the caster’s fist with a stoney covering that acts like brass knuckles, both protecting the hand from damage, and adding damage(+1d4). The hand CANNOT be used to hold or manipulate objects, but is essentially a blunt weapon.
The stone covering has 30 pts(SDC in SDC realms, MDC in megadamage universes) of damage +10 per level of experience. The added weight of the stone is negligible and does not impede the wearer.
The spell can, with the expenditure of additional PPE, sprout shards of hard crystal that add damage(+2d4).

Eyes of Xro (Invocation)(aka ‘Eyes of Penetration’)
Range: Self or others by touch.
PPE Cost: 20
Effects:
The magical version of x-ray vision, Eyes of Xro allows the caster to peer through and inside materials and structures.
Eyes of Xro are limited by magical fields/wards and enchanted materials. High concentrations of lead, pure iron or silver, and radioactive material also hinder its effectiveness.
Another limitation is that the recipient of the spell cannot engage in combat or other visually-strenuous/dependent activity until the spell is canceled or wears off; the character will perceive the world around them as shadowy, ghostly, and translucent; quite distracting or horrifying depending on what one is looking at... Reduce all combat bonuses by HALF.
Bonus: Adds + 15% to skills like Pick Locks and Field Surgery.

Teleport Refract(Invocation/Ritual)
Level: 10
Type: Invocation/Ritual
Range: 15 ft in diameter area, +5 ft per level of experience with the invocation, 50 ft diameter +10 ft per level of experience with the ritual
Duration: 1 minute(4 melees) per level of experience for the invocation, 20 minutes per level of experience for the ritual
PPE Cost: 110 for the invocation, 250 for the ritual
Effects:
This spell doesn’t prevent anybody/anything from teleporting into or out of a location, but it does cause the end point of the teleport to be shifted to a different location, such as outside a room(rather than in it), into a cage, atop a booby-trap, or in front of a nearby guard post.
The caster can designate an area(15 ft in diameter, +5 ft iper level of experience with the invocation, 50 ft diameter +10 ft per level of experience with the ritual) as the zone of effect/exclusion, while the new end point of the teleport can be within 50 ft , +5 ft per level of experience with the invocation, 500 ft +100 ft per level of experience with the ritual, and MUST be known to the caster. Anybody attempting to teleport gets a save against the magic refraction. A failed save means the teleport endpoint is diverted to the chosen interference point.
This spell also works on the spell Mystic Portal.

Teleport Denial(Invocation/Ritual)
Level: 11
Type: Invocation/Ritual
Range: 15 ft in diameter area, +5 ft per level of experience with the invocation, 50 ft diameter +10 ft per level of experience with the ritual
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience for the invocation, 1 hour per level of experience for the ritual.
PPE Cost: 180 for the invocation, 300 for the ritual
Effects:
This spell prevents anybody/anything from teleporting into or out of a location. Anybody attempting a teleport into or out of the affected area finds themselves standing still, the PPE spent wasted.
Note: This spell will NOT prevent Dimensional Teleporting, such as opening a dimensional rift.
Last edited by taalismn on Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The 'skywrite' spell above seams like it very close to the Zodiac mage's 'Star magic' spell 'star messenger' in its core idea.

And the Teleport Denial shares the same core idea with the LoB's Dimensional Barrier. Does TD stop just normal T-porting? Or does it stop D-T-porting also.

Both of these look like they are from different PoV in their implementation construction.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
And the Teleport Denial shares the same core idea with the LoB's Dimensional Barrier. Does TD stop just normal T-porting? Or does it stop D-T-porting also.

Both of these look like they are from different PoV in their implementation construction.

Altered Teleport Denial to exclude D-Porting.

As for the second; well, even though I wrote both up at the same time, for the sake of color, I'll claim two different wizards worked on them using different philosophies of magic.

Okay, here's one to be thrown into the shark tank.

Teleport-Grab(Invocation)
Range: 80 ft per level of experience
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Standard, if the target doesn’t want to be moved. Inanimate objects do not get a save, but magic items DO.
PPE Cost: 250
Effects:
A nightmare for security officers, but a godsend for rescue workers and thieves, this is a short range teleport spell that allows the caster to, at range, grab a target in sight, and teleport it to his side or to another location within range. The main advantage of this over other magic such as magical telekinesis is both the instantaneous nature of the movement and the ability to bypass intervening hazards, such as collapsed structure. It also lacks the substitution clause of the spell Swap Places. It DOES have a flaw in that the target can, when they sense the pull of the spell, resist being teleported, but most victims/subjects of this spell, either through ignorance of what is happening, confusion, or desperation, do not resist being magically yanked OUT of a place.
Teleport-Grab can work on living creatures(and was originally devised for rescue work), but the caster MUST have line of sight on the target and the arrival location. The arrival location also MUST be a safe(at least temporarily) and stable surface/location(no teleporting people into midair over deep ravines or buckets of molten metal).
Does not work through solid materials(a pane of glass can stop it, though as long as the mage has an opening line of sight on the target, they can successfully cast the spell*), forcefields, or magic disruption fields. The mage can teleport-grab objects/beings up to 200 lbs. of mass per level of experience.

*Metal screens do NOT count as solid obstructions for the purposes of this spell.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

taalismn wrote:Teleport-Grab(Invocation)
Range: 80 ft per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard, if the target doesn’t want to be moved. Inanimate objects do not get a save, but magic items DO.
PPE Cost: 250
Effects:
A nightmare for security officers, but a godsend for rescue workers and thieves, this is a short range teleport spell that allows the caster to, at range, grab a target in sight, and teleport it to his side or to another location within range. The main advantage of this over other magic such as magical telekinesis is both the instantaneous nature of the movement and the ability to bypass intervening hazards, such as collapsed structure. It also lacks the substitution clause of the spell Swap Places. It DOES have a flaw in that the target can, when they sense the pull of the spell, resist being teleported, but most victims/subjects of this spell, either through ignorance of what is happening, confusion, or desperation, do not resist being magically yanked OUT of a place.
Teleport-Grab can work on living creatures(and was originally devised for rescue work), but the caster MUST have line of sight on the target and the arrival location. The arrival location also MUST be a safe(at least temporarily) and stable surface/location(no teleporting people into midair over deep ravines or buckets of molten metal).
Does not work through solid materials(a pane of glass can stop it, though as long as the mage has an opening line of sight on the target, they can successfully cast the spell*), forcefields, or magic disruption fields. The mage can teleport-grab objects/beings up to 200 lbs. of mass per level of experience.

*Metal screens do NOT count as solid obstructions for the purposes of this spell.

I really like this spell. I like spells that can be used in a variety of creative ways, while still staying true to a clear purpose, and this one definitely fits the bill.
One question does come immediately to mind though:
Why does a pane of glass stop the spell, but a metal screen does not? I don't have a specific objection, but I would like to understand your reasoning.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
taalismn
Priest

[quote="Father Goose
I really like this spell. I like spells that can be used in a variety of creative ways, while still staying true to a clear purpose, and this one definitely fits the bill.
Why does a pane of glass stop the spell, but a metal screen does not? I don't have a specific objection, but I would like to understand your reasoning.[/quote]

Solid material...there has to be an unobstructed line of sight on the target, materially as well, even though the teleportee converts to energl. A metal screen has plenty of small discernable holes in it. A solid pane of glass doesn't.
This prevents the spell from being used to say, snatch people out of pressurized aircraft as they fly by, or through security windows, or just out of their apartments standing in front of the window. THAT would seriously abuse this spell.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

I'm not sure if Palladium uses this term, but basically you are limiting this to "line of effect" as well as "line of sight". To go with the name, I may very well have a "phantom" hand that gets generated by the spell that has to be able to get from the caster's hand to the target.

Looks good to me.
taalismn
Priest

Kraynic wrote:I'm not sure if Palladium uses this term, but basically you are limiting this to "line of effect" as well as "line of sight". To go with the name, I may very well have a "phantom" hand that gets generated by the spell that has to be able to get from the caster's hand to the target.

Looks good to me.

Thanks. Exactly. Swap Places seems to work on a principle of balanced reciprocity, but why pay the cost of teleportation not once, but four times? I figure Swap Places was created using a particular magic philosophy or school doctrine. A more pragmatic-minded mage comes along, looks at the spell, deconstructs it, and looks at the energy cost, not the mass translocation, and decides that if you're going to haul somebody over HERE, let's not bother sending them back THERE.

And, of course, to keep this from becoming a munchkin grab-spell, there had to be limitations. Valiant hero mage overlooking the burning stakes in the public square, can save the damsel in distress from being burnt to ashes, but she's going to have to open the window a bit to have an unobstructed line of effect on who she's going to rescue. Though the chance is slim, somebody might notice the (slightly) open window, but if she times it right, and remains low behind the window, she should be able to pull off the spell, push the now out-of-the-fire rescuee down out of line of sight from the crowd below. and get on with the rest of the extraction plan with none the wiser as to where the prisoner went. If the mage could work through windows, it would be fantastically easy to nab the prisoner from the back of the police van, through the windows, and the windows of the apartment the mage is using as her watch post. Even more fantastic and puzzling, but not quite as tension-provoking from an RPG cinematic narrative point of view.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

taalismn wrote:[quote="Father Goose
Why does a pane of glass stop the spell, but a metal screen does not? I don't have a specific objection, but I would like to understand your reasoning.

Solid material...there has to be an unobstructed line of sight on the target, materially as well, even though the teleportee converts to energl. A metal screen has plenty of small discernable holes in it. A solid pane of glass doesn't.
This prevents the spell from being used to say, snatch people out of pressurized aircraft as they fly by, or through security windows, or just out of their apartments standing in front of the window. THAT would seriously abuse this spell.[/quote]
Makes perfect sense to me.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
taalismn
Priest

Some more Tailor Magic for Stone Gargoyle, and somewhat related spell.
(and that brings my original grimoire over 200 spells)

Mystic Measurement(Tailor Magic)(Invocation)
Level: 1
Range: 5 ft
PPE Cost: 2
Effects:
Simply by pointing at a person and snapping their fingers, the Tailor Mage causes the target to be briefly surrounded by glowing tape measures that instantly feed all the relevant data on the target’s personal measurements back to the mage.

Singer Finger(Tailor Magic)(Invocation)
Duration: 3 minutes per level of experience
Effects:
By holding a thread between the fingers while casting this spell, the Tailor Mage can make his fingers act as the needle on a sewing machine in both the ability to make tiny uniform-sized stitches in a material, and by moving at a blindingly fast rate, moving at 10-50 stitches a second. Great for quickly doing large or oversized jobs, like pants, table clothes, drapes, and sails.
If used in hand to hand combat, this allows the mage to inflict 1d6 SDC per strike, but the cumulative pinprick wounds tend to be bloody and sting horribly. If used more humanely, this can be used in conjunction with a medical skill to quickly suture and stitch wounds (+5% to Paramedic or Field Surgery).
This spell CANNOT be used for tattooing.

Sole Saver (Invocation)
Range: Self or other by touch/5 ft
Duration: 24 hours per level of experience
PPE Cost: 18 (Tailor Mages can cast this spell at 15 PPE, and Provender Mages for 9 PPE)
Effects:
This shods the target’s feet in a slipper-shaped pad of ectoplasm . The temporary footwear has 20 SDC each and protects the person’s feet from heat, cold, and sharp objects such as rough terrain, broken glass, and insect bites. It does NOT add to kick damage or have any other magical properties, nd provides as much traction as a pair of socks or a cheap pair of sandals. At the end of the spell, or at the caster’s command, the extoplasmic footgear evaporates into thin air.
If used in conjunction with the Ectoplasm psionic power and an extra 15 PPE, the footwear can be stylized and made permanent.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Dose the "Sole Saver" spell work on equines?
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Dose the "Sole Saver" spell work on equines?

I don't see why not.
And it WOULD save a lot of hassle and kicked equestrians.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Father Goose
Adventurer

I thought of this for an upcoming Nightbane game where one of the characters is a Nightbane Sorcerer with a teddy bear Morphus that wears a baby blanket as a cape. I could use some help deciding on the appropriate spell level and PPE cost, as well as any feedback on what could be done to make this spell better. I want it to be something available early, so it needs to be a low level (1-4) spell. Thoughts?

Security Blanket
level:
PPE cost:
target: self or one individual within 100 ft; plus one additional person or 10 additional feet per 3 levels of the caster.
duration: instant, but effect lasts for 1 minute
saving throw: standard, but may be waved if the target is not resisting

The target is wrapped in an invisible security blanket that does not hamper movement but does create a sense of comfort and security. For as long as the spell is active, the target receives a bonus to Save vs Horror Factor rolls equal to half the caster’s level (round down, minimum of +1). Should the spell be cast on someone after they fail a Save vs Horror Factor, the target may immediately reroll the save with the new bonus.
taalismn
Priest

Father Goose wrote:I thought of this for an upcoming Nightbane game where one of the characters is a Nightbane Sorcerer with a teddy bear Morphus that wears a baby blanket as a cape. I could use some help deciding on the appropriate spell level and PPE cost, as well as any feedback on what could be done to make this spell better. I want it to be something available early, so it needs to be a low level (1-4) spell. Thoughts?

Security Blanket
level:
PPE cost:
target: self or one individual within 100 ft; plus one additional person or 10 additional feet per 3 levels of the caster.
duration: instant, but effect lasts for 1 minute

The target is wrapped in an invisible security blanket that does not hamper movement but does create a sense of comfort and security. For as long as the spell is active, the target receives a bonus to Save vs Horror Factor rolls equal to half the caster’s level (round down, minimum of +1). Should the spell be cast on someone after they fail a Save vs Horror Factor, the target may immediately reroll the save with the new bonus.

One of my earlier creations was a Security Blanket(a LINUS), but that was a TW device/organitech symbiotic that generated low-level psionic emissions (empathic transmission) , s it wasn't;t one spell but a combination of factors. :D

But let's see...the spell FEAR is 5 PPE for 1 minute per level of experience; let's use that as a basis...
Let's up the duration of the spell, to longer; it's not a total blocking magic, but it takes the edge off Horror Factor,...so 5 minutes per PLE? That way you can make it 5 PPE, same as Fear, but longer-duration'ed.

Or you could up the PPE cost and add another saving throw against something else, like a save vs insanity or pain/torture(or both).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Father Goose
Adventurer

taalismn wrote: <snip>

But let's see...the spell FEAR is 5 PPE for 1 minute per level of experience; let's use that as a basis...
Let's up the duration of the spell, to longer; it's not a total blocking magic, but it takes the edge off Horror Factor,...so 5 minutes per PLE? That way you can make it 5 PPE, same as Fear, but longer-duration'ed.

Or you could up the PPE cost and add another saving throw against something else, like a save vs insanity or pain/torture(or both).

Something like this?

Security Blanket
level: 2
PPE cost: 5
duration: instant, but effect lasts for 5 minutes per level of caster's experience

or this?

Security Blanket
level: 4
PPE cost: 8
duration: instant, but effect lasts for 5 minutes per level of caster's experience

The target is wrapped in an invisible security blanket that does not hamper movement but does create a sense of comfort and security. For as long as the spell is active, the target receives a bonus to any roll to save vs Horror Factor, pain, torture, or insanity equal to half the caster’s level (round down, minimum of +1). Should the spell be cast on someone after they fail a save of one of the listed types, the target may immediately reroll the save with the new bonus.
taalismn
Priest

Both of them work just fine...maybe you call one 'Security Blanket: Lesser'('Blankie') and the other 'Security Blanket: Greater'('Fluffy') :P
'Security Blanket: SUPERIOR' would actively keep supernatural threats at bay like a Protection Circle in addition to shutting out magical and psionic attacks. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”