Ludicrous magic. Yes, you heard right.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Ludicrous magic. Yes, you heard right.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Ok, so I had a player (who happened to be my best friend) who is an awesome gamer, truly. He got into his characters and has always been a joy to have at my table. But he is also known for being sort of "comic relief" when the situation is just right. Now, a few years back, I acquired Rifter 9.5 and he was thumbing through it when what should he discover? Yup, the Ludicrous mage. He said he just HAD to create one! And I, being a gracious GM, nervously gave my okay. Slapstick (as he named the character) turned out to be one of the greatest headaches of my gaming career, but was a riot as a character! (It literally took me months to figure out how to get rid of this guy!) But in the ensuing craziness, my friend asked me to create a couple of new spells for his character, since the Ludicrous Magic is a little limited. I reluctantly agreed, and this is what I came up with. He liked them, let's see what you think!

Hiccups- (Ludicrous Mage)
Level: Five
PPE: 30
Damage: None
Saving Throw: Standard
Duration: 1 minute / level
Description: When the jester mage casts this spell upon an unsuspecting victim, he or she suddenly finds themselves consumed by uncontrollable hiccups. All skills, combat and other actions are now going to suffer penalties. (Reduce skills by half and all combat bonuses at minus five.)

Marionette- (Ludicrous Mage)
Level: Ten
PPE: 75
Duration: 1 melee / level
Description: This spell can be both quite humorous and quite lethal. The clown mage can cast it upon anyone of humanoid intelligence or higher and, should the individual fail their save, they will become like a puppet on strings for the marionette. Moving however he or she commands, including attacking friends. The person will move like a marionette, jerky and wobbly. They have no control over their bodies and cannot resist this magic once their save has failed.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Ludicrous magic. Yes, you heard right.

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Northern Ranger wrote:snip...

Hiccups supirior- (Ludicrous Mage)
Level: Five
PPE: 30
Duration: 1 minute / level
Description: When the jester mage casts this spell upon an unsuspecting victim, he or she suddenly finds themselves consumed by uncontrollable hiccups. All skills, combat and other actions are now going to suffer penalties. (Reduce skills by half and all combat bonuses at minus five.)

...snip

Hiccups lesser- (Ludicrous Mage)
Level: 2
PPE: 5
Duration: 2 minute / level
Description: When the jester mage casts this spell upon an unsuspecting victim, he or she suddenly finds that they start hicupping. More annoying then dangerus, unless the victim is trying to hide. the victim hiccups once every 5 sec. The hicups last till the end of the spell. If the victim rolls a natural 1 when they try to save, then the duration is incressed by a factor of 10.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Torquemada wrote:75 PPE seems a little low for a tenth level spell, and for a spell of any level that gives you complete control over an intelligent being. I would place limits on it, for example: can only control actions, not vocals, magic, psionics. cannot perform complex actions such as piloting skills, etc. all bonuses are reduced to 0, and the controlled creatures speed and apm are reduced to 1/2, or that of the controlling mage, whichever is lesser. I would also impose penalties on the mage, such as: controlling requires complete concentration - no other actions, magic, skills, etc can be performed, attempting to do so will immediately end the controlling effect (and we all know how easily distracted Ludicrous Mages can be LOL).

Thoughts?

Good ideas all the way around Torq. That's why these things get posted to the forums, so that our peers can show us just how un-thought out some stuff is. I never would have thought of those limitations, but they do make sense. Thanx. 8)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

I agree with Torquemada, I was about to post the same obsevations when I read his post.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Blue Eyes »

heya

for some reason this i actually think the two spells, or three if you count the hiccups lesser also, might be usable by faeries as well :) i am currently considering having my characters in PF play a small adventure with faeries in it, i might use the spells just to throw something at them they do not know.

BE
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Blue Eyes wrote:heya

for some reason this i actually think the two spells, or three if you count the hiccups lesser also, might be usable by faeries as well :) i am currently considering having my characters in PF play a small adventure with faeries in it, i might use the spells just to throw something at them they do not know.

BE

Be my guest Blue Eyes. I never considered that application, but you're absolutely right. In fact, certain faeries could arguably be logical choices to use most of the ludicrous magic. (Leprechauns spring immediately to mind.) 8)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Heh, my players all hate me because in my games, the faeries (not toadstools and kelpie and whatnot, just sprites, pixies, and faeries) are ALL ludicrous mages. Boy am I mean. :D
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

verdilak wrote:Heh, my players all hate me because in my games, the faeries (not toadstools and kelpie and whatnot, just sprites, pixies, and faeries) are ALL ludicrous mages. Boy am I mean. :D
hey I tought I was the only one. :twisted:
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

with apologies to "the frantics"
Boot to the Head
PPE cost: 15
save: dodge of 16+ only
spell magically causes a boot to appear from out of thin air and strike the target soundly in the side of the head. a failed save will result in the victim suffering effects similar to the Befuddle spell. Victim also suffers 1d4 points of damage, and has a splitting head ache for 1d4 hours afterward.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Damian Magecraft wrote:with apologies to "the frantics"
Boot to the Head
spell magically causes a boot to appear from out of thin air and strike the target soundly in the side of the head. a failed save will result in the victim suffering effects similar to the Befuddle spell. Victim also suffers 1d4 points of damage, and has a splitting head ache for 1d4 hours afterward.

Hey, this is my thread! :lol: Just Kidding. Cool spell man.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Boot to the Head
Just be sure a true master of Tia Kwan Leap doesn't see you useing that spell

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Scrud wrote:
Boot to the Head

i could just read them my "last will and temperment"...
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Scrud
Explorer

Unread post by Scrud »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Scrud wrote:
Boot to the Head

so true :(

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Scrud wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Scrud wrote:
Boot to the Head

so true :(

and one for jenny and the wimp....
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

and a lifetime supply of ice cream
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”