Telekinesis

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Telekinesis

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Nirenn wrote:Someone suggested this in an old topic "creative uses of telekinesis"

"And lastly it you want to sink to an all time low there is one bad trick you can do, but it only works if your opponent is male.:shock:"

I honestly have no idea what they ment.

But could telekinesis be used to affect a person as a distraction, say, you know where you poke someones sides and they jerk, is that possible?

(Also, what the hell did that guy mean?)

Grab little Mr. Happy. Make your opponent unhappy.

This, incidentally, is not something I would allow. I actually wrote a sizable article on TK and ectoplasm, that I'm hoping will see Rifter #40.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

My article makes some fairly big assumptions about the nature of metaphysics in the Megaverse; I think it makes things more coherent, but it's not 100% supported by canon (though I do not believe it is anywhere contradicted by canon... just not supported by it, either).

I've got it available, if you like; e-mail me for a copy.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

If you want to discuss it, here's fine; might as well get others curious. ;-)

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Telekinesis is, in a lot of ways, simpler. You want to do something, you do it. If it's visible and within range, you can put ISP into your mental PS and try to lift it. Ectoplasm requires creating the ectoplasm, has a maximum PS, and takes time.

However, it's also got a sense of touch and a lot more fine control.

All Palladium Articles
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

With ectoplasm alone you could poke someone in the ribs, but they'd probly turn and look and see the ecto trail.

If you used TK you'd have to jab them with a pebble or stik that you were controlling.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

MrNexx wrote:My article makes some fairly big assumptions about the nature of metaphysics in the Megaverse; I think it makes things more coherent, but it's not 100% supported by canon (though I do not believe it is anywhere contradicted by canon... just not supported by it, either).

Hit me up with a copy. Though be warned, it may spawn an e-mail argument about the nature of the megaverse that could last for eternity ;)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
MrNexx wrote:My article makes some fairly big assumptions about the nature of metaphysics in the Megaverse; I think it makes things more coherent, but it's not 100% supported by canon (though I do not believe it is anywhere contradicted by canon... just not supported by it, either).

Hit me up with a copy. Though be warned, it may spawn an e-mail argument about the nature of the megaverse that could last for eternity ;)

When have we ever disagreed, Ms. Nekira? ;-)

All Palladium Articles
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Unread post by Sgt Anjay »

Okay, uncle....I'm curious. Hit me up with the tk goodness.
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Thanks much!

Ok, I have a question.....could a Mystic cast a spell through ectoplasm, using it to get into a specific range, fire from a certain angle, or deliver touch spells?
"Cuando amanece se van a inflictir, duros castigos y oscuros tormentos, a los que ni quieren ni dejan vivir" -'Posada de los Muertos'
Library Ogre

Sgt Anjay wrote:Thanks much!

Ok, I have a question.....could a Mystic cast a spell through ectoplasm, using it to get into a specific range, fire from a certain angle, or deliver touch spells?

In the version presented in my article, yes; your ectoplasm is part of you, so it would be similar to stretching out your arm.

All Palladium Articles
Sgt Anjay
Hero

Outstanding....the implications are boggling. I need to roll up a Mystic, stat :demon:
I have to say, I really like what you did with the subject matter and hope it gets published.
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

I'm curious, can I see it?

From what little I have gathered here, you seem to be of the opinion that you could use a stick to jab someone, but not use TK to jab them without a medium. So therefor, no grabbing of mr. happy. But what if you used TK on those little rubberbands they use on male cattle, used TK to widen the rubberband enough, then let it go???? :?
Last edited by verdilak on Tue May 01, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Library Ogre

verdilak wrote:I'm curious, can I see it?

From what little I have gathered here, you seem to be of the opinion that you could use a stick to jab someone, but not use TK to jab them without a medium. So therefor, no grabbing of mr. happy. But what if you used TK on those little rubberbands they use on male cattle, used TK to widen the rubberband enough, then let it go???? :?

You would need to e-mail me a request, via the board's e-mail links; I'm not posting a 12 page article on the board.

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Kevin Beckman wrote:Nexx should make all spells this versatile.

Psionic power, not necessarily the spell.

All Palladium Articles
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

asajosh wrote:With ectoplasm alone you could poke someone in the ribs, but they'd probly turn and look and see the ecto trail.

If you used TK you'd have to jab them with a pebble or stik that you were controlling.

Exactly. :ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Gravitus Everlast wrote:you wouldn't even have to use a pebble or stick. Just use TK to gently push on their skin. The trick is not using enough force to push THEM

TK moves objects, it doesn't exert pressure on them.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

If telekinesis doesn't exert its own force in Palladium-world, how can telekinetic force fields exist?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Talavar wrote:If telekinesis doesn't exert its own force in Palladium-world, how can telekinetic force fields exist?

No explanation is given.
Probably it automatically repells all incoming attacks by moving (or stopping) the incoming bullets/swords/energy/etc.

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Talavar wrote:If telekinesis doesn't exert its own force in Palladium-world, how can telekinetic force fields exist?

No explanation is given.
Probably it automatically repells all incoming attacks by moving (or stopping) the incoming bullets/swords/energy/etc.

Thats how I've always pictured TK force field. The bullet, in a an action so quick it can only be captured on high speed film, completely changes direction a few inches from the targe'ts skin wih no apparent physical contact. What's actually happened is the TK field has "grabbed" the projecticle and thrown it in a random direction.
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Library Ogre

Killer Cyborg wrote:

No explanation is given.

My view is that it holds the air around the target rigid... not moving it, but keeping it from moving.

All Palladium Articles
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Has it ever been stated in any rules that telekinesis doesn't exert its own force, rather than creating some sort of sympathetic reaction in targeted matter? Because it seems to me you guys are doing a lot of rationalization-heavy lifting to make that theory work. If tk force field isn't a solid wall of telekinetic force, it shouldn't stop energy attacks like lasers, magic, or other psionic energy. If it's just the atmosphere told by telekinesis to be rigid, the power shouldn't work in outer space/a vacuum - and we have no indication of that being the case.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Talavar wrote:Has it ever been stated in any rules that telekinesis doesn't exert its own force, rather than creating some sort of sympathetic reaction in targeted matter? Because it seems to me you guys are doing a lot of rationalization-heavy lifting to make that theory work. If tk force field isn't a solid wall of telekinetic force, it shouldn't stop energy attacks like lasers, magic, or other psionic energy. If it's just the atmosphere told by telekinesis to be rigid, the power shouldn't work in outer space/a vacuum - and we have no indication of that being the case.

TK FF exerts force on Cosmic Strings, the building blocks of reality itself, to work in a vacuum and block energy weapons. THAT is streching!

Or maybe the name "Telekinetic" is a mis-nomer. Perhaps if it was called Psychic Force Field we could resolve this. Just play it that the power creates a force field of "psychic energy" to create a barrier around the user.
Telekinesis itself works on the physical (pretty well spelled out in RUE pg 169), but its still not an "invisible hand" coming out of the psychic's head (like in the Marvel Super Heros RPG).
Carl

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Talavar wrote:Has it ever been stated in any rules that telekinesis doesn't exert its own force, rather than creating some sort of sympathetic reaction in targeted matter?

"Telekinesis is the ability to move objects without any other means than directed psychic energy."

Granted, it doesn't say whether this energy is tangible in of itself or not, but if it was, then you could do damage with TK directly, instead of relying on objects.

It also specifically states, "Telekinesis moves, lifts, and throws physical objects with the power of the mind, so it may be used to hurl a victim into something as a slam attack, but NOT as a crushing or thrusting attack in of itself.

Because it seems to me you guys are doing a lot of rationalization-heavy lifting to make that theory work.

Seems pretty elementary to me.

If tk force field isn't a solid wall of telekinetic force, it shouldn't stop energy attacks like lasers, magic, or other psionic energy.

TK Force Field is a force field.
TK is not.
Other than having "TK" in the title of the power, TK force field does not bear any resembelance to the other TK powers.

There is no explanation for how exactly the power functions, and I doubt that the writers put much thought into it, so we're left on our own.

If it's just the atmosphere told by telekinesis to be rigid, the power shouldn't work in outer space/a vacuum - and we have no indication of that being the case.

Or that it's not the case.
The rules were written under the assumption that there's an atmosphere to work with.

Library Ogre

Talavar wrote:If it's just the atmosphere told by telekinesis to be rigid, the power shouldn't work in outer space/a vacuum - and we have no indication of that being the case.

Good point. Ah, well, in that case, it uses telekinesis to erect a wall of subatomic particles. :lol:

(Actually, using my theory of telekinesis, TKFF doesn't really work as TK, unless it's applied to other people and objects. However, when you rename it Psychic Forcefield, it does, because you finesse issues like that)

All Palladium Articles
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

asajosh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

No explanation is given.

Thats how I've always pictured TK force field. The bullet, in a an action so quick it can only be captured on high speed film, completely changes direction a few inches from the targe'ts skin wih no apparent physical contact. What's actually happened is the TK field has "grabbed" the projecticle and thrown it in a random direction.

actually, i always think of the movie Akira, when Tetsuo stops the tank shell in mid air.

the TK:FF works like technological ones. an incoming object/beam is detected, and energy is used to deflect/disperse the incoming. in a tech FF, energy used is usually gravitic. in a TK:FF, it's telekinetic. for a tech FF, detection is usualy via some fancy sensor. in a TK:FF, it's via precognitive ability.

thus why the TK:FF is a seperate ability. it really is both TK and precognative. you become aware of incoming subconsciously moments prior to it happening, and reflexively use TK to block it.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
asajosh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

No explanation is given.

actually, i always think of the movie Akira, when Tetsuo stops the tank shell in mid air.

the TK:FF works like technological ones. an incoming object/beam is detected, and energy is used to deflect/disperse the incoming. in a tech FF, energy used is usually gravitic. in a TK:FF, it's telekinetic. for a tech FF, detection is usualy via some fancy sensor. in a TK:FF, it's via precognitive ability.

thus why the TK:FF is a seperate ability. it really is both TK and precognative. you become aware of incoming subconsciously moments prior to it happening, and reflexively use TK to block it.

I'm convinced :ok:
Carl

Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
asajosh wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

No explanation is given.

Two problems with this: the TK - FF is airtight, meaning it doesn't just activate when attacked, but is continually present, and TK can't normally effect energy, like light, but the TK - FF can.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”