TW Learning New Spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Spark
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spark »

I'm not 100% but I think it was mentioned that in GM Guide they have a list of the prices for new spells. As for finding who sells them, I would say go to any magic city, Lazlow, New Lazlow, Tolkeen, Federation of Magic, Atlantis, ect. all should have a market for buying new spells.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: TW Learning New Spells

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Pyrineous the One wrote:As far as I can tell in RUE, a TW does not learn any new spells intuitively. How does one go about getting a spell that is needed for a special new device?

I just imagine that finding someone who knows a spell and is willing to sell it to you (for a crazy sum no doubt) while out on some wild adventure would be quite the long shot.

How do other GM's and players handle this?

You have to find somebody who knows, and convince them to teach you. This could be as simple as a price, but will more likely require some more estoric feat be preformed. Favors are always good for some low level spells, whereas the aquisition of a high level spell could be an adventure in and of itself.

alternatly: This is why Guilds are formed. If you join a guild, you gain access to spells said guild knows, and the wizards will share in accordiance with guild rules.

Furthermore: There's always apprenticing yourself to a more powerful wizard.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Pyrineous the One wrote:Wouldnt one player joining a guild or living in servitude to someone else kind of put a damper on traveling with a group of adventurers?

That depends on the campaign.

Why does the group go adventuring?
Unless they're already dedicated to something specific, why not just have them work for the guild in question, with the Techno-Wizard as the Guild's representative within the group?
Or maybe the party is adventuring for other reasons. If it's a large guild, it could have contacts any number of places that the party visits.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

As other poster have pointed out, find someone who knows the spell you want, learn the spell (if the "owner" is will to teach it) and buy the price :demon:.

Prices ranges from favors, to money and even heroic quests :demon:.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Kesslan
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kesslan »

You could also perhaps find lost tomes of knowledge etc.

Of course if your dealing with a technowizard you may well find that his spellbook is on a CD :D

Huh? Ball of light? Yeah lemmie just boot up my spellbook reall quick.

In the end it really just comes down to how hard your GM wants you to work for it. For example for me at least certain spells like the (in my opinion) immensely powerful spells such as Carpet of Adhesion would take abit of work to get.

While other spells would be quite common and plentiful (at least in ares where you find alot of spell casters etc)

When it comes to prices of things like spells I'd also give it some price fluctuations. So for example in some backwater, off the map village with only a single mage your likely to pay a steep price indeed for even simple spells. But in say.. Lazlo the same spell could be aquired for a (relative) pittance.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Pyrineous the One wrote:I can understand that if I was playing alone or if there was a party of just Magic Users/ TW's. How does all that work in the context of a mixed player group?

Wouldnt one player joining a guild or living in servitude to someone else kind of put a damper on traveling with a group of adventurers. I always had the same question with PF and avoided guilds and apprenticeships unless it was part of the overall player group.

How do people deal with that problem in a normal campaign setting?

The guild option isn't so great if your playing a wandering adventurer campaign to be sure.

Honestly: there are three main chances for you:

One: find someone who knows, convince them to to teach you.

Two: Find a lost tomb of knowlage

Three: find/buy scrolls. every time you use a scroll you have a % chance to learn the spell instantly.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Three: find/buy scrolls. every time you use a scroll you have a % chance to learn the spell instantly.

Every time you try a scroll conversion; not every time you read a scroll. Those are mutually exclusive.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

MrNexx wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Three: find/buy scrolls. every time you use a scroll you have a % chance to learn the spell instantly.

Every time you try a scroll conversion; not every time you read a scroll. Those are mutually exclusive.
I was going to point that out also.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”