Spatial Mage's Realm: now with 100% more True Atlantean.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Can a True Atlantean Spatial Mage put a Stone Pyramid in his or her Dimensional Realm?

Sure, and a pretty one it will be too. Pity it doesn't do a blasted thing other than take up space.
35%
Sure, but it won't do anything unless the mage can find a way to Power it. (Perhaps the 'PPE Battery' option or the 'Power a City Block' option, or something else and even then it's iffy if it'll do anything but store ambient PPE. Discuss.
15%
Yeah, and that is a fantastic idea; it should function like it was sitting on a Nexus with all the ambient PPE that is floating around in the dimensional space between universes!
8%
Sure, intriguing idea by the way; but limit it to leyline strength, and/or a small pyramid or some other option to cut down on abuse. Discuss.
12%
You are going to the special hell reserved for munchkins for even considering such an idea.
12%
Other. (there is always an 'Other' option to these things i find) Discuss.
19%

Total votes: 26

Neorealist
Wanderer
Comment: 42

Spatial Mage's Realm: now with 100% more True Atlantean.

Unread post by Neorealist »

Something I've been thinking some random thoughts about; Can a True Atlantean (Or Splugorth i suppose) Spatial Mage create a Stone Pyramid in his/her/it's Dimensional Realm, and if so, does it have any effect?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Unless they've got a ley line, they don't get the benefits of their pyramid being on a ley line.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Neorealist
Wanderer

So pyramids don't do anything unless they are specifically on a leyline?

I guess a off-shoot of that is: are leylines considered natural features, and so can be placed by the realm's creator?
Library Ogre

I would say, in that sense of being natural features, no, they are not, otherwise, every spatial mage would fill his realm with ley lines.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Misfit KotLD wrote:
MrNexx wrote:Unless they've got a ley line, they don't get the benefits of their pyramid being on a ley line.

The Bengals wrote your theme song?

Moo?

I'm trying to get the reference... and aside from something vaguely related to "Walk Like an Egyptian", I'm turning up nothing.

All Palladium Articles
Mudang
Adventurer
Comment: life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

Unread post by Mudang »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
MrNexx wrote:Unless they've got a ley line, they don't get the benefits of their pyramid being on a ley line.

The Bengals wrote your theme song?

*The Bangles

:D
Neorealist
Wanderer

MrNexx wrote:I would say, in that sense of being natural features, no, they are not, otherwise, every spatial mage would fill his realm with ley lines.

Aren't ley lines supposed to be miles apart? i'd think unless you have a huge realm you could only have one or two.
Neorealist
Wanderer

So you are saying that there is precident for magic creating a leyline? well that does shed a whole new light on things, thanks Kevin. :)
Neorealist
Wanderer

That's fine, Spatial mages are all about permanently sacrificing some PPE. and 100 feet is fine if that is what it is, the pyramid doesn't specify that it won't work on a short leyline does it?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There are some big ifs in this one.

If the True Atlantean Spatial Mage can recruit an NPC Nazcan Line Maker to create a ley line in the realm and if the True Atlantean Spatial Mage can recruit a Stone Wizard to create a proper stone pyramid . . . it should work. Though there may need to be points spent by the Spatial Mage to modify the realm to alow such to happen.

But we are talking about three of the rarest OCCs in the megaverse. Finding someone who would do the work (and I think the ley line needs to be there before the pyramid) would be a mini-campaign of its own.

All and all the entire concept seems to be geared towards creating an unassailable fortress of solitude - and being able to do nothing while outside of it. A boring campaign model IMHO.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Don't forget that the creation of a ley line causes EXTREMELY SEVERE spacial and magical disruption in the surrounding area.

You could make a ley line a few minutes before you collapse your entire realm into nothingness.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Neorealist
Wanderer

Jefffar wrote:All and all the entire concept seems to be geared towards creating an unassailable fortress of solitude - and being able to do nothing while outside of it. A boring campaign model IMHO.

We all have to have goals and hobbies. ;) But in this case i think you may be mistaken, after all what is done in the realm doesn't progress the game, it is what is done outside that is the important part in my opinion; the character in question was created in light of that opinion.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The pyramid would work normally if the realm is located on a Dragon Road and isable to tap into it.

:erm: that was for Astral Realms......

Well ...hummmm... No a Pyramid will not work normally in a Spatial realm.

The only two features of a pyramid that would work normally would be it being a PPE battery and the life extending vertues of living in one.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Neorealist
Wanderer

Do the "Massive PPE fields of the multiverse which exist outside the pocket dimension" do anything?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

No.

And a character which has permantly sacrificed 2 /3 rds of their starting PPE into creating such a fortress is obviously little concerned with what is goign on outside of it because they are leaving themselves virtually powerless to do anything outside of it.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Neorealist
Wanderer

Jefffar wrote:No.

And a character which has permantly sacrificed 2 /3 rds of their starting PPE into creating such a fortress is obviously little concerned with what is goign on outside of it because they are leaving themselves virtually powerless to do anything outside of it.

That does seem overly specific for this 'hypothetical' example ;) it's a good thing too that things were changed and the mage in question has a little more PPE than originally planned, otherwise those CS Samas might have wrote a different story... err, is what that mage would say if he or she actually existed i'd bet. 8)
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

No I don’t think pyramids will work on short ley lines that don’t go any ware. I think the whole purpose for dimensional pyramids is to harness wild magical energies and focus them. A fabricated ley line, nexus, would simply not do. You have a lovely pyramid that does nothing.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

One of the optional Special Abilities of a realm is that it can be a PPE source in and of it self (Rule H, option 1). Now that your very realm creates PPE, gather some Techno-Wizards to harness that energy and store it in emeralds for you, like a giant capacitor! It may take time to build up the amount a PPE you need for a huge spell or ritual, but it can be done without a pyramid.

Otherwise, what I'd probobly do is rule that you had to spend ALL creation points (or like 80%+) to have ONE ley line running thru your realm. Then set a pyramid on it (getting stones thru to build is NP) and control that PPE flow. Essentially then your pyramid becomes a PPE capacitor. From there you should be able to accomplish anything else you need done in your realm with ease.

Good Luck
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

I don't know about spatial realms (not very familiar with the spatial mage at all other than I know they are in one of the early rifters). I do know that I have done something similar with a True Atlantean Astral Mage given that all TA's have a working knowledge of stone pyramid I required that the realm be on a dragon nexus with the tap ley line feature and have to cost 40 ppe to give it the powers of a Stone Pyramid. But that is what I did for Astral Realms
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Astral Mages yes.

But Spatial Mages create their own littl epoket dimension rather than a realm on the Astral plane.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”