Call Lightning should have a horror factor....

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Call Lightning should have a horror factor....

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFK61Rqp4fw

and if that stuff didn't convince you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLJ6oqToKrc

Imagine actually being hit by that....
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

It's level 8 IIRC which means it's not actually that common. Remember, there aren't really that many people on rifts earth let alone mages and most in the books tend to be levels 1-4 unless their a villian.

The thing that would make it scary even if you knew you were fighting a mage is that they just demonstrated that they could, with few words and a hand gesture, call down the very elements on you.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Also agreed in part. I had a lighning bolt hit a power pole about 60 feet from me under a clear blue sky. I litterlly went flat to my belly before the peal of thunder had ended. Scared me half to death for about 3 seconds so I can really see a HF induced instant of inability to act. That said this would be a pretty common spell to witness in rifts (if you ever witness magical combat that is) and as far as I can tell from the spell's description there is no booming thunder as there is with real lightning. It seems they purposly seperated the thunder and its startle/stun effects and lightning and its damaging effects.

I would simply combine them back together making them one spell. For 20 PPE you get the stun effects of the Thunderclap spell and the damage of Call Lightning, but it only counts as one 7th lvl spell.

Want a real attention getter? Make a spell that chain lighnings from one target to the next and each time it bounces you get a thunderclap going off. Now THAT would be evil. :demon:
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Prince Artemis wrote:It's level 8 IIRC which means it's not actually that common. Remember, there aren't really that many people on rifts earth let alone mages and most in the books tend to be levels 1-4 unless their a villian.

The thing that would make it scary even if you knew you were fighting a mage is that they just demonstrated that they could, with few words and a hand gesture, call down the very elements on you.

Its 6th lvl but remember you can get spells above your lvl anytime you run into them and have the $ to pay for it to be taught to you.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Thinyser wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:It's level 8 IIRC which means it's not actually that common. Remember, there aren't really that many people on rifts earth let alone mages and most in the books tend to be levels 1-4 unless their a villian.

Its 6th lvl but remember you can get spells above your lvl anytime you run into them and have the $ to pay for it to be taught to you.

Most magic users jealously guard their spells and less then half the magic shops in north america can actually teach them.

Oh, as to the chain lightning, I suggest you check out the fulmination spells in library of bletherad(sp?). Nothing but lightning spells.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Thinyser wrote:

Most magic users jealously guard there spells and less then half the magic shops in north america can actually teach them.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Prince Artemis wrote:
Thinyser wrote:

Most magic users jealously guard their spells and less then half the magic shops in north america can actually teach them.

Oh, as to the chain lightning, I suggest you check out the fulmination spells in library of bletherad(sp?). Nothing but lightning spells.

By my statement I meant that you don't have to be of the spell's lvl or higher to learn it you can learn any spell whenever the opportunity presents itself (which may or may not be often depending on the GM).

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Serious 'Yowzah!' Factor, especially if you fire off a Lightning Bolt in a dark, confined, indoor area... :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

:nh:
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

If that where true alot of spells would have a horror factor imagian the worst possible pain. now imagine a mage who can cast it on you over and over any time he wants. You would be just like this poor smilie constantly trying to regain your composuer :thwak:
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”