The Magic Environment of HU Earth

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

As long as the mods don't mind us posting that much info from a book... I could help you out a bit.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Just my own opinion here, each continent would have about 12-15 ley lines, all many hundreds if not thousands of miles long, and about half as many nexi. One of the nexi on each continent would be a super nexus (3 or more ley lines meeting together).

If you want more magic just add smaller non intersecting ley lines this would keep the half dozen or so nexi per continent special "places of power" while still increasing the overall availbility of PPE from ley lines.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

gadrin wrote:
Thinyser wrote:Just my own opinion here, each continent would have about 12-15 ley lines, all many hundreds if not thousands of miles long, and about half as many nexi. One of the nexi on each continent would be a super nexus (3 or more ley lines meeting together).

If you want more magic just add smaller non intersecting ley lines this would keep the half dozen or so nexi per continent special "places of power" while still increasing the overall availbility of PPE from ley lines.

interesting, I like...

I thought Ley Lines were much shorter, but I might be remembering the "random" stuff from the old RPG.

all right, good ideas for a jumping-off/starting point. :D

I believe that most LL in rifts are short (dozens to a couple of hundred miles) though I would think that only the "Major" Ley Lines would be around in HU or PF type settings where magic exsists but is much weaker overall.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

I'd apply the same criteria as in BTS.

Q.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Not many nexi or ley lines on HU Earth.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Okay, I've been seeing some slight misconceptions that I feel I should clear up.

The truth is that HU Earth and Rifts Earth would have exactly the same number of lines in more or less the same positions (they are after all both parallel Earths). The real difrence is the ammount of energy you get from the ley lines. The ley lines of HU Earth are very weak and almost non-existant (that doesn't mean that they don't exist) while the lines on Rifts Earth are over-charged.

While ley lines may be weak (as on HU Earth), this is more like a dormant volcanoe than them merely disapearing (which sugests they no longer exist). With the right trigger (such as the Great Cataclysm that created Rifts Earth) even the weakest ley line could surge right back to life.

Now as for how much energy one should be able to tap into at the strongest ley lines on HU Earth, I would say about 5PPE per minute at most (and only at nexus points where the energy would be the strongest). This would be why many magical villains tend to wait until times when the magic energy would be at its highest (solstice and exquinox, eclipses and planetary alignments) to sieze control of magical sights for their insideous plots. Such places (and times) would also be the best oportunity for dimensional travelers to arrive or leave (while a random rift may not appear, the dimensional barriers would be at their weakest).

Hope this helps somewhat.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”